Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bad flu season?

Default Re: bad flu season?

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom73 View Post
    Statements like this do nothing except to elicit fear, especially with emets.
    Sorry but i cant please everyone on here. If you read my first sentance i stated this might trigger a few. The point of this thread is me venting about how everyone seems to be coming down with something including noro. I never said the influenza shot would prevent a sv.

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer2012 View Post
    Sorry but i cant please everyone on here. If you read my first sentance i stated this might trigger a few. The point of this thread is me venting about how everyone seems to be coming down with something including noro. I never said the influenza shot would prevent a sv.
    Yeah, we all need to vent. I just think when you post something along the lines of "it heard it is the worst this year" just makes people freak out a bit more, thats all.

The flu vaccine, at my age and with my immunity, is not really worth it. Give it to someone who really needs it, like twinmom said. But I still usually get it anyway against my will LOL.
    Although, I didn't get mine this year for the first time and ended up with a HORRIBLE influenza type virus in August, absolutely the most sick I have been in my life - even worse then when I had a sv* (and that is saying something).

I'm screwed either way, whether the flu shots work or not I am allergic to the flu shot so I can't get it even if its going to be a bad flu season. Around here though (montana) sv was going around already, few family members have gotten it already was only a 24hr bug but still.

Just want to say that avoiding the shot and "letting your immune system do its work" is a bit off. Because it's exactly the same mechanism used in producing immunity from the shot that your body uses to try and kill the virus once you catch it. Except that having the antibodies before you get a live virus means your body can kill it before it replicates so much that your entire system is overwhelmed. So the end result, from an immunologic standpoint, is the same. It's just that in one case your body fights off a non-replicating virus and produces antibodies against it, while if you catch the virus it will make antibodies as well except that you'll have the symptoms. Getting vaccines does not weaken the immune system. Also, even healthy young adults can get some pretty nasty complications from the flu. My brother got pneumonia twice, and I had an inflammation of the heart lining (pericarditis) as a result of having the flu (it was the one year I didn't get the vaccine). And let's not forget the Spanish flu which caused casualties in healthy individuals due to a very high immune response which caused a deadly cytokine storm (cell signalling overload, basically). I'm not saying that everyone needs the shot, but just pointing out that it's not better to get immunity from catching the disease over getting vaccinated and that there's always a risk even to healthy individuals.
    Last edited by AoD; 10-29-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Isn't the "24 hour bug" kind of a myth? Such as, it can affect anyone in different ways. Some people DO experience it for only 24 hours and others can be down and out for longer. I don't remember where I was reading information about it but does anyone have any studies or articles on the matter?

I think the fact of the matter here is
    1 - the Flu Shot does NOT protect against the SV*, nor does it completely protect your from Influenza, just makes your chances of recovery quicker and the symptoms less severe
    2 - Every year someone always says "worst I've seen" or "it's going around bad" ... every year this happens yet I don't think it's any worse, just more and more people are being made aware when other's are sick. Now that we have Facebook, Twitter and the like - people post every detail of their life, including illnesses. Everyone will know when everyone else is sick ... think about it. If we didn't have FB or social media ... we wouldn't worry when we see the sv* posts right? We would have no idea that our cousin in another state has the sv* for example, so we wouldn't worry as much (or at least, I don't think I'd worry as much.)

This post may have started as a "vent" post but I think everyone should watch what they say and what they post because yes, it could trigger others and cause uneccessary worry over nothing ... this topic has been discussed several times and it always boils down to "something it ALWAYS going around"

For those that choose not to take the flu shot (myself included, because I've never had the flu, and would rather do things naturally. Don't see the point in being vaccinated against a prior years flu strain when they often mutate from one season to the next), research Vitamin D. It's had some great feedback on being even more effective in preventing the flu, than the vaccine. That is what I choose to do! It's worked for my mom, myself, and my baby brother (who prior to taking this, caught the influenza at least once a year). Anyways. Just my 2 cents worth!

Actually the flu shot is to prevent against currently virulant strains, not last years one. I got my shot yesterday. The only years that I skipped, I got really sick, ended up in the ER and missed 10+ days of work. Its not worth it to me to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by mdgirl1977 View Post
    Actually the flu shot is to prevent against currently virulant strains, not last years one. I got my shot yesterday. The only years that I skipped, I got really sick, ended up in the ER and missed 10+ days of work. Its not worth it to me to risk it.
    It doesn't prevent it, it just lessens the chance you catch it, and if you do it's usually less severe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by mdgirl1977 View Post
    I suppose to be more clear, it is made up of the 3 dominant strains that they THINK will be most prevalent. Which basically means they may be wrong, and you can still catch the flu if it's a strain they haven't put in the vaccine.

In no way am I trying to say a person shouldn't get it, and it's totally up to you- in your case mdgirl I can totally get why you'd get it. For me, because I've never had the flu, and have read such great stuff about vitamin D, as well as having a pretty good immune system (didn't get sick for 2 years, past one mild 2 day head cold), I am happy not getting it.

ugh and it starts, my 3 year old has a double ear infection. kids burning up today but the wife took her to the ER. either way im glad we got our oldest the flu shot, don't want that hitting here.

Im bumping this becuase i guess i was right when i posted this thread. Not even jan and we have all been sick at least 3 times this month. Damn cold just keeps circling. Talked to my kids doctor and she said this is the worst cold, flu and noro season they have seen in awhile. I tend to agree as everyone i know is sick with something. Been nothing short of a nightmare for me since i hate sickness. I just hope the sv we all had dont make rounds again.

God almighty spring please get here.