Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Medication help?

I've been using a range of different antiemetics over the last few months to help me with nausea in my second pregnancy. I've been using Promethazine (Phenergan) over the last couple of months which I have found really helpful. Just recently I've noticed that my nausea has begun to get worse and I'm struggling with eating. I went to see my Obstetrician yesterday and I explained how I am feeling. He has prescribed me Maxalon (Metoclopramide) which is a stronger medication and should help.

I took my first tablet yesterday evening whilst preparing tea. After half an hour I began to feel realy weird, incredibly anxious, agitated and as if I was about to have a bad panic attack. Whilst this was going on I physically felt like I couldn't anything but sit there, normally if I feel this way I try to distract myself but I couldn't even do this. It did after about an hour calm down, not really noticed any antiemtetic effets as i have only taken It once. I'm terrified of taking another one for feeling like I did last night but at the same time I need to take something to help me with my nausea.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    "Hold your breath, count to 10. Fall apart and start again."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Medication help?

Thanks Cynna for getting back to me. I also googled it and it does mention on a few different sites that I can cause severe anxiety. I've not taken one since but feel as if I'm between a rock and a hard place (persistant nausea or anxiety?). I've g

I apologise for the pause in my post, currently posting this via mobile. I was going to say I've managed to get an appointment with my Obstetrician next week so I will bring it up with him then and hopdlefully he can put me on something else. Thanks for your help.

How old are you - there's some research to suggest that women of a certain age are more at risk of developing psychological/extrapyramidal side effects from taking metoclopramide. The obstricians where I work rarely prescribe it to women under 30 for this reason.

I once took it for nausea from taking an ssri. & i didnt`t notice an increase in anxiety, but in those days I was quite an anxious person already.