Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Is it just me..?

Does anyone else not like to eat where they touched?

Sometimes, even when I wash my hands, I'll still do that....

(Just...that corner of the sandwiched I touched....it's contaminated!)

I dunno, It's weird.

Well, I generally have a thing with not eating with my hands - I've spent the last three years of my Emet/Myso-fear/OCD coming up with ways to avoid touching food - even stuff that's supposed to be 'finger food.' (Eww...just the thought of touching food right now....just.....eew...)

Does anyone else do this..?

Default Re: Is it just me..?

Absolutely. Even if I've washed. It makes eating chips at a restaurant a mess cuz the little corners I've touched end up all over the place.

I only do that when I can't properly wash my hands with soap and water (if all I have is hand sanitizer, for example). Otherwise if I washed my hands properly and didn't touch any dirty surfaces, I don't do it. Sometimes I'll just use a clean napkin that I turned inside out (so the clean side that was folded inside is touching the food) to pick up my food instead. But outside of my home if I just washed my hands and didn't have to touch doors or whatever in between, I will eat with my fingers. And at home, well, if I live alone and control the cleanliness of my apartment, I'll eat with my hands all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by amoriari View Post
    Absolutely. Even if I've washed. It makes eating chips at a restaurant a mess cuz the little corners I've touched end up all over the place.
    At times, I've resorted to eating chips with a fork...well, not in public, at least. XD

Quote Originally Posted by AoD View Post
    I only do that when I can't properly wash my hands with soap and water (if all I have is hand sanitizer, for example). Otherwise if I washed my hands properly and didn't touch any dirty surfaces, I don't do it. Sometimes I'll just use a clean napkin that I turned inside out (so the clean side that was folded inside is touching the food) to pick up my food instead. But outside of my home if I just washed my hands and didn't have to touch doors or whatever in between, I will eat with my fingers. And at home, well, if I live alone and control the cleanliness of my apartment, I'll eat with my hands all the time.

My only issue is that I don't live by myself - I'm still living with my family, so I have little control of the cleanliness of my enviorment...well, that's if I'm not spending day after day cleaning. :/ Which I don't resort to.

Ah, yes. I understand, I am stuck with a roommate right now who isn't very clean. So I do a lot of handwashing and only dry my hands with a towel I keep in my room so she won't contaminate it. I often have to re-wash dishes she washed, too.. because she doesn't wash them properly and there's like still grease marks and sticky stuff on them. My family is pretty clean though, so when I stay at my parent's place I feel it is safe (they haven't caught any sv* since we were kids).

Oh yes, I do the same and make sure no one is looking. I do it even when I wash my hands unless I'm at home.