Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Can emeophobia actually CAUSE bloating? (IBS like symptoms).

Since around July (exactly after I had a really bad experience of dry heaving) I have redeveloped my fear of vomiting again. Pretty much from that day on I have been excessively burping (feeling of trapped wind in stomach) and/or feeling sick- or both.

However lately I have been getting a constant feeling of fullness (and I don't exactly over-eat, just average) and this can last for hours. Admittedly I always have the fear of vomiting in the back of my mind so I do understand why that could cause me to feel sick because my mind is never free of it, however these other bloating symptoms etc have just appeared suddenly.

Take this for example, say I eat at 11.30am (a sandwich, drink etc) at 3pm I still feel bloated and full.

I went to the doctor about the constant need to burp, he said it may be anxiety related, I had a blood test and it all came back fine.

Default Re: Can emeophobia actually CAUSE bloating? (IBS like symptoms).

I was diagnosed with IBS and usually what it does to me is makes me feel bloated a lot along with going back and forth between constipation and diarrhea. Some people get one or the other of those and some get both. I also usually get nauseated from time to time. My doctor diagnosed me with that along with an Anxiety Disorder and some OCD. Have you talked to your doctor about the possibility of IBS? It's not a scary thing to have but it is annoying at times. And he is right that can also be Anxiety related. Have you noticed if you are doing a lot of excessive swallowing..if you are doing that because of anxiety it can also make you feel more bloated and full. I've done that before because of anxiety and didn't realize it.

Default Re: Can emeophobia actually CAUSE bloating? (IBS like symptoms).

I could talk to the doctor about it I guess, yeah.

It's the uncomfortableness that is hard to deal with and also an acid like constant need to burp (which I was tested for and it all came back fine). It's like having acid reflux and IBS in one go.

I don't know if i'm swallowing any excess air than usual although I am always constantly aware of this and try not to. Ah, it's so hard