Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Just getting things off my chest.

Hey guys,

I'm posting here because I feel like I literally have no one else to talk to. My Dad had a sickness bug a few days ago so of course I've been panicking. I told my Mum how I felt about winter with all the sickness and stuff going around and she LAUGHED. Told me that what was I going to do? Hide away for however many months?
    Nobody gets it, my Dad just says its in my head and Mum gets angry whenever I start saying how I feel ill/fear being ill all the time.

I had a panic attack in the toilets at college today (thankfully nobody else was in there) and it was awful and scary and I've felt crap for the rest of the day.

It's come to a point now where it's completely wrecking my life. It's been going on for years... at least since primary school. I'm 17 and in college and I want to have a good carefree FUN life for the rest of my teenage years without having to worry because you only life once right?
    I want therapy but I'm scared and embarrassed about what the Doctor will say when I tell them about my phobia. I'm pretty sure I have anxiety and hints of depression too which doesn't help. Also I know there's different therapies and I don't know which to get, or even if they do that therapy in my area!?

So yeah I just wanted to get it all of my chest to people who understand, thanks for reading.

Default Re: Just getting things off my chest.

Don't be afraid of what the doctor will say there is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about. I am sorry your parents dont understand some people need to be better educated in different areas. Maybe try to fill them in. It ois just like having a phobia of spiders and heights I think

I feel so deeply for you. This phobia is tough enough to struggle with; how awful that your parents don't even try to help or understand. Hang in there ... I think therapy would definitely help you. Check with your college health services. I'm sure they have counselors that can work with you. If you need a starting point, try printing out the information sheets and FAQ from this website and take them along with you (or drop them off ahead of time so they can read up on it before you arrive). Keep posting on here so you don't feel so alone. We all know what you're going through ...

Doctors are very understand of people with phobias, even more so when they seek treatment. So you shouldn't be afraid of talking to a doctor about it. The best would be to see a psychiatrist, they have a lot of experience dealing with people who have phobias or a touch of depression, and they are generally nice people who know how to show empathy.

Poor you. You're older than me but I think I can help you here so just forget I'm a teen and read what I'm saying.

I'm very sorry about your parents. I remember when I was young and my father lost his temper, I was so sad because I thought that without him being sure I wouldn't be sick, I'd be sick. I felt so alone in the world, and I think that's what is happening to you. You are not alone *rolls up to see your name* no, I'm not going to call you crazy. You are not crazy. If everyone who had a phobia was crazy, then the normal people would be considered crazy. I'll just call you C before you give me your name.

We get so sense when we have a panic attack that we feel like crap later, always. After my worst panic attack in July this year I slept all the day. All my bones hurt, because I of the crisis, and I felt useless. What can I say about panic attacks? It happens. But remember, it's YOUR body. Soon you'll be able to control the attacks.

I totally understand you because I want the same thing. One day we'll have a night of fun with no worries, I'm sure of it. We just have to get better, which leads me to talk to you about therapy.

Think this way, C, without a doctor telling you what exactly is your problem, you can't cure it. When you have a diagnosis, you can read more about it, find people who suffer from the same thing (US!) and have help not only of your therapist, but of a bunch of friends who want you to get better. I've used existential therapy and CBT. CBT is the best so far, because you they tell you exactly how to act, and don't try to explain you WHY you act like it. So if you have a CBT therapist in your area, go for it.

We really have some things in common. Besides emetophobia, I suffer from GAD (very bad anxiety) with hints of depression (no, I'm not joking. My doctor used the words 'depressive symptoms') and a lot of other stuff that hasn't been named yet. Knowing the names were so good, because you can explain it to the ones around you. If they don't understand, ignore them. They are not worth your attention.

Look C, if you ever want a shoulder to cry, PM me or just add me on facebook. It's the same name, just tell me it's you. I'm online the whole day (summer vacations!). I'll be travelling next week, but after that, I'll be online every damn day, the whole day, until February. And even being very young, sometimes I'm useful.

Nothing more to say. I wish you good luck, and know that we'll always be here for you.
    -Ana
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.