Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default new and struggling

Hi all,
    I am new to this site, and have been having a really, really hard time lately. I work in the medical field and am constantly exposed to sick people. I have been an emet for years, since I was 7, and am so fed up with my irrational fear. It's that horrible time of year again where people are getting the SV, and I can't even think about it getting it. I got it last year and my fear has gotten so much worse, as I can't even think about getting it again. My anxiety has reached a new high and I don't even want to go to work or out in public anymore. I still have been doing it, but everytime I come home I am so scared I am going to sick with the SV. I have IBS and constantly have stomach aches and d*, so that definitely doesn't help. I also haven't been sleeping because I am always afraid that I will be sick during the night. My boyfriend is so good to me and is always reassuring me, but I can't take this anymore. Any suggestions on how to get over this? Any tips on how to reduce my anxiety? If I take care of a patient who is v* or d*, am I going to get it? I am insane about handwashing and not touching my face. Please help. I'm so scared, I think I end up making myself feel sick. Does anyone else do that?

Default Re: new and struggling

Welcome, and good for you for working in such a tough field when you suffer from this phobia. I'm a teacher, and I go through panic just about every day too, thinking about all those kids who I come into contact with who I know don't practice good hygiene.

Just because you care for someone who is sick does not mean you will get it. My girlfriend is a nurse, and she had a break out at work last year. She wore a mask, booties, a gown and double gloves (because she didn't want to bring it home to me) and she never got it.

As far as the anxiety goes, find ways to distract yourself, and try some deep breathing and body scans before bed to help you relax. Remind yourself that you can't know what will happen, stop asking what if and ask what is. When you find yourself starting to worry, find a way to change your thought pattern before the panic gets out of control. It's hard, but it can work. I hope you find something to help you, stay strong and focus on the positive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.