Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New job - advice please??

So basically I start a new job in January...it's an awesome position and I'm dead excited about starting but I can't help but worry about having to deal with my emet in a 'new' environment... The office itself is HUGE - which in my head means more people, thus more chance of catching an sv* or similar.. Secondly, the daily commute (via car) would horrific, as the office is based in a city centre...so it's not really cost/time-efficient to drive but the prospect of public transport literally scares the hell out of me... Given that I need to make a super-good impression, and the travel/attendance aspects (I can't imagine not having the freedom to call in sick when I'm having a really bad day - my current job's pretty flexible like that...) could have a big impact on my performance, how should I deal with it all?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Claire25 Guest

Default Re: New job - advice please??

I work in a big open plan office with lots of people in the whole building and have done for seven years. I also get the train to work but it's only 15 minutes. I haven't had an sv* yet *touch wood :-/* or heard or witnessed it spreading around. It's just usually colds that spread. Touch wood again!

Just make sure that you wash your hands before you eat etc as you would do anyway. I also try to clean my desk regularly! Maybe this will help you to conquer those horrendously anxious days where you want to hide. I usually forget once I get busy. It would be a shame, although understandable, to let emet ruin such an exciting opportunity.

Good luck

I'm in the same boat, bex. Recently started a new job with great growth opportunities and earning potential, and here I am freaking myself out about the possibility of coming down with sv* at work. I've actually missed quite a few days in the three months I've been there due to waking up feeling so bad that I was convinced I had a bug. My best advice is to find a friend at work that you can confide in, someone who will help you out in the event that you are sick at work.

As far as having to commute via bus, I REALLY feel your pain on that one. My car died recently, and during the time between losing that car and buying a new one, I missed several days of work because I was too afraid of the two hour bus ride and being exposed to public transportation. Is it a possibility for you to drive your car to work? Even if it's an inconvenience, it might offer you some psychological relief knowing that you have an "escape plan."
    "I'm not saying that I know what I want. . .
    But I know what I don't, don't want to rot in my room. And never know what could have been, believe what everyone else tells me is true."

Thanks for the replies
    On the travel front, I've come to a compromise....I've found a car-pooling partner so I'll be able to commute by car without the hassle and cost of doing so alone. That said, I will still be restricted to a degree, as I'll be responsible for going home with her...and vice versa. Hmmm.
    It's taken me 2 years to put myself forward for a new job in such a large, corporate environment because of my emet...so it's a big step forwards for me. I just wish I wasn't starting in the winter! How did you go about confiding in a colleage? I'd be worried they'd think I was strange :/ or just not understand...
    "If you are going through hell, keep going."
    Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Having a carpooling partner is actually a perfect set up, if you think about it! You have someone else to do the driving if you're ever in need. That would be the person I would confide in about my phobia, so in the event that you ever do have to leave work, they will already know why. I know it's scary putting yourself out there and revealing something so personal to an almost-stranger, but you'd be surprised how many people understand. Emetophobia is one of the most common phobias in the world, so odds are that your colleague has heard of it, knows someone who has it, or maybe even has it themselves. Even if that's not the case, it would probably be a weight off your shoulders to confess to someone at work and hopefully be able to use them as a "safety net" of sorts. Good luck!
    "I'm not saying that I know what I want. . .
    But I know what I don't, don't want to rot in my room. And never know what could have been, believe what everyone else tells me is true."

From what I've found SV* usually fluctuates in the months from December-March then you don't hear of it much until the following December, so it's a matter of 3 months of avoiding it really. Make sure you maintain good hygeine by using hang gels, soaps etc and just try to avoid any contact with people who you think has the SV*
    The most common places SV* forms are Schools, Hospitals & Care Homes.

Hi bex just to say congrats on the new job! What will you be doing? Sounds exciting Try and use that excitement to distract you from any emet thoughts. x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you it's a project management role in finance and banking, so I'm pretty keen to make it work... I'm determined not to let my emet screw my chances up - you guys may have to put up with some panic posts though