Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Advice/Support for flying?

In about a week I have to fly to Florida (from Pennsylvania) to visit my boyfriend's family for the holidays. I have never flown without my mother before, and I havent flown since I was a kid, so I can't really remember much :/. Along with the general anxiety I have of people in the airport, I am especially concerned about motion sickness. I have to take a smaller (propeller) plane to get to Philly, and I'm really scared it will make me sick! Or my boyfriend, or people around me! I'm less concerned about the large jet, since I didnt experience problems with that before. Also, after all of that, I have a 5 hours car ride ahead of me, which always makes me worry about motion sickness. Any advice or support about travelling? Something that will make me feel a little less uneasy about this whole experience! Thank you!

Default Re: Advice/Support for flying?

There's quite a lot of travelling you have to do, and it seems like you have worries and anxiety about each portion of the travelling... it's so not worth it. Please don't worry yourself over this. Try to get excited to see your boyfriend's family and enjoy the holidays. I don't love flying, not because of motion sickness, but because I also have a slight fear of flying. You actually might enjoy it. What you can expect is a really loud noise before take off, which is the engine. That's usually what scares me. You won't get motion sickness unless you've had previous experience in having it (I'm pretty sure). I've travelled on 23 hour flights for years and have done lots of smaller ones, and only one time I had someone have motion sickness on the plane, so I wouldn't worry yourself too much. If you bring a magazine or two, some music on your phone or i-pod and some gum or something to snack on, it may help you. That's the only advice I can give really, just try to enjoy it A lot of my friends LOVE flying so you just might too! Have a great and safe trip. Don't focus on feeling like you will have motion sickness because that will probably make you feel very n*.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"

My Emetophobia blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My photography Tumblr:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I just want to give you two tips: Do not use the plane restroom and absolutely do NOT use the tray table. I don't want to scare you, but I think knowledge is power, and I read a study that said 1 in 6 tray tables harbored you know what...

I don't know if it will ship in time, but you could buy the little 3oz bottles of Lysol on Amazon.

Take lots of vitamin c, have a bottle of hand sanitizer. They also make these things called sea bands. They are these gray elastic bands with a white ball that you press on a pressure point on your wrist if you start to feel n*. They actually really work as I do get motion sickness. I put the bands on and I don't feel sick

I do not fly. Are Lysol wipes allowed on planes or do they consider them a terrorist tool? You could clean the tray table with that and clean in the bathroom if you have to use it.

You can bring wipes, but the hand santizer is limited to a small size that fints in that bag (see TSA regulations). Wipe down the tray, etc--if anything it will help calm you.

Sea sickness bands will help for motion sickness--or a nervous stomach. Also, dramamine. I get panic attacks when I fly (my other phobia) and I take Klonopin. I can combine the two per the pharmacist--and I have--but it makes me so drowsy I fall asleep for a couple of hours. Works for me. Never had to use the restroom there, I go right before I board and I hold it.