Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Doctor precautions.

I need advice quick! I woke up with a bad sore throat this morning and I'm going to the doctor in an hour and a half. I haven't been to the doctor since my phobia came back again, so I don't know how to take extra precautions at the doctors office because I know people will be there with the sv*. Will I be safe if I just keep my hands clean and keep them away from my face? Do I need to take any other precautions? I will be taking Cynna's ongoing advice and not picking up any magazines.

Default Re: Doctor precautions.

I'm going myself in half an hour

Just dont touch the dorr handles! we'll be fine

Yup! You'll be perfectly fine! I always use my sleeve when I have to open doors in the doctors, and everywhere else really. I still wash my hands when I get back though.

By the way, I don't think people will go to the doctors with the SV*. I asked my doctor yesterday about it, who's been there for several years and she had never heard of it lol. It's usually hospitals.

Let us know how you got on.
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

Sorry for sounding really stupid but I'm new here and don't know what sv* stands for! Is it just any stomach virus?

Normally patients who are actively v* don't go to the GPs practice but you should always wash your hands before and afterwards

I hope your appointment went well!

I always dread the doctors too, so you aren't alone! Actually I have to go tomorrow and I'm somewhat dreading it. Most sv's are noroviruses(except a few, but lets just use the example of noro). If you are an emet, you probably know a lot about noro but if not I'll just give you the basics of how it's transmitted. It isn't airborne, so if somebody is there with noro and they are sitting next to you, you'll be fine. Now if they v right next to you, then you'd want to run away as fast as possible! Because it is only spread through v and d particles. So if somebody v's and then touches it without washing their hands, then touches you, then you could get it. As long as you take the basic precautions like washing your hands, not touching EVERYTHING, and keeping your hands off of your face, you'll be fine!

Magazines and toys can be bad since so many sick people touch them. Some viruses can live on surfaces for a long time. My mistake was putting my finger in my mouth to turn the magazine page. If you are germ cautious and worried, bring your own book to read. The pens that you use to sign in with get touched by a lot of people too. You can bring your own pen if you choose. Just try not to put your hands in your mouth and wash your hands. Most people with noro do not go to the gp, but influenza patients see the gp. There is so much going around right now.

Ugh, that was so icky. I felt like I was trapped in a big germ bubble. But I washed my hands lots and opened doors with my sleeves. I had to use their pens but I used Germstar Noro afterwards. I have an upper resp. infection. :c

Ugh! I always seem to forget to bring my own pen when I do go down to the doctors. I have a HUGE sticky note on my fridge now that says 'BRING YOUR OWN PEN TO THE GP'. :P If it makes you feel better my Dad goes to the doctors an awful lot since he has a lot of issues with his health and so touching pens etc all the time yet he's never come back home with the sv*.

Hope you feel better soon by the way.
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"