Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Side effect of probiotic?

I have started taking a probiotic the last two days and tonight i feel really full, bloated, acidy and gassy with occasional mild nausea. Could this be from the pb?

Default Re: Side effect of probiotic?

I felt really bloated and my stomach gurgled a lot when i first started taking it. It lasted for about a week for me.

Yes, that's the probiotic. Its weeding out the bad bacteria so you will feel gassy and bloated with some mild nausea for a little while until your system adjusts.

I also noticed that if I don't get a dairy free probiotic then I am much more gassy.

I stopped taking probiotics for that very reason. Like my wife said to me, were you having stomach problems before. Which I said that I wasnt except anxiety in which the reply was, Probiotics wont help then. I agreed, if its not broke dont fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by ditchy_jon View Post
    I stopped taking probiotics for that very reason. Like my wife said to me, were you having stomach problems before. Which I said that I wasnt except anxiety in which the reply was, Probiotics wont help then. I agreed, if its not broke dont fix it.
    Completely agree. I think it's unnecessary to take those unless someone has been taking a course of antibiotics or has digestive problems.. and even then, they're meat to restore the balance and not to be taken daily forever.

I agree I don't think I need them, but I took them because the pst week I have been at someone else's house eating lots of junk food and alcohol, so i figured my system might need a boost. I might just stop taking it anyway because I feel awful this morning and haven't taken it yet. Thanks for all the replies!

Probiotics really help me, but that's because I am just getting over basically a yeast infection in my esophagus (yuck). My doc recommended I take one, even though, I already was. I haven't noticed anything weird, though, as my stomach always seems to make strange, gurgly noises :/

Well I actually read on a website that any probiotic dosage above 1-2 billion bacteria at a time can cause unwanted side effects. The ones I take have 25 billion. I think the issue is that I don't need them, and my stomach has actually been thrown off balance by TOO MUCH good bacteria. I think I'll just stick to a tub of yoghurt a day and that should be enough.

And Jen, in your situation a probiotic is necessary yes so thats probably why you arn't experiencing side effects.

25 billion is a lot. I looked at mine, and it just has 1.5 billion. But, yes, I definitely need it, medically, at the moment, so I'm sure that makes a big difference. I was feeling really gassy/bloated before, so maybe bacteria being off-balance in either direction can cause those uncomfortable feelings. I think a yogurt a day sounds like a great idea. I like to mix some Activia into my daily protein smoothie. Frozen berries, yogurt, protein powder, a little milk (and a little cool whip )... Delicious.

Yum that sounds amazing!