Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Red face Triumph! I looked after my sick baby like a champion :)

It seems like an odd thing to describe as a triumph, but I think some of you will understand! I was always scared of having children, both because of morning sickness and in case they got sick and I wasn't brave enough to look after them properly in case I caught it. I faced the first fear a couple of years ago and had a gorgeous baby girl (and no morning sickness!). Best decision I ever made. A couple of days ago, I faced the second, when my daughter got a SV. She was really sick about 10 times during the night, and rather than getting scared and running away (which is what I always feared I might do), I was a champion! I stayed with her and cuddled her and kissed her forehead all the way through, and all I was thinking about was trying to make it better for her, not fear for myself catching it. It didn't even occur to me to leave her and I even cleaned everything up with no problems. I think my love for her and my drive to keep her happy and healthy totally overrided my fear, which I am so relieved about. I hope I am always able to deal with it like this, and I hope that others with the same fears will have the same experience as I did.
    My daughter is also an inspiration for me to get over my fear, because in between bouts of V, she was smiling and laughing and playing. She didn't even cry or look upset while it was happening, and it was quite full-on. She seemed to find it way less traumatic than having her face washed!! I figure if an 11 month old can handle it without even crying or getting distressed, it can't be as scary as I think, so I am encouraged to try and be as brave as her!

Default Re: Triumph! I looked after my sick baby like a champion :)

You did fantastic! You deserve a pat on the back. WTG!

That is a triumph with out a doubt! I'm really happy for you and you should be proud of yourself!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GOOD FOR YOU PROUD OF YOU

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

That's amazing! Good for you I hope that I can be as strong as you when I have to go through this!

Such an INSPIRATION! Hope I can be as brave when the time comes with my daughter!

Thank you I am feeling very pleased about it. She is completely better now too.

That is very inspirational, since I've read quite a lot of opposite responses on this forum that I found very discouraging. May I ask how old your daughter is? Is this the first time she got sick? I have no problem with my cat or dog getting sick, and I hope if the time comes, I can face it like you.

That is awesome!! And an interesting observation about her being more bothered by having her face washed than throwing up . It goes to show that it's it's our thoughts around v* that freak us out more than the v* itself! Your daughter just surrendered and went with the flow and even laughed in between. Amazing.

Berzerkgirl, my daughter is 1 and this was the first time she has been sick from illness. Before now, she'd only ever thrown up a little bit of milk or some food (if I accidentally put too much in her mouth!) but this was the first time she was properly ill. I think having a baby is really good exposure actually, because they start off by throwing up just a teeny bit of milk, which is not scary, and you gradually get used to it as they get bigger. Also, for me, it was different because I love her and my focus was more on her than on myself (without me having to try - it just happened!). I hope you have the same when it's your turn, and I hope I handle it as well next time, when she's bigger!
    And yep, Jennjt, it looked to me like the idea of it is heaps worse than the actual thing! I was watching her really closely to try and imagine what it's like (I haven't v* for over 20 years so don't have much first hand experience) and it seemed fine!