Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New joiner. *v free years??

This thread is interesting to me. I only v* a couple of times as a child...and was v* free for 24 years, from age 12 to 36. This was through THREE pregnancies! My whole family caught a norovirus at the end of this past July and I v* with it once.

I catch noroviruses from time to time...about every 2 or 3 years. But when I do, I don't get the urge to v*. Is that abnormal? I know a couple of other people who are the same way (my mom is one and a friend of my husband is another). I know one other emet and that is my cousin. She doesn't v* because she fights it like crazy if she feels the urge. But, I just never get the urge. Anyone else like that?

Hi Alex. I too just joined very recently. I began a new stage of life and am about to marry the love of my life. We want children in the near future, but emet has always made me afraid of morning sickness. I went along for a very long time trying to ignore it, but things would always bring it back. A severe traveler's illness 2 years set me back a lot. I never v*, but the n* was almost constant and I suffered for about 5 weeks. I couldn't eat very much and ended up losing 20 pounds. Certain foods would make me feel n*, and some others would not. As a result, my stomach has been more sensitive than it used to be, and I have to watch what/how much I eat. My fiance has encouraged me to get help.

I've been v-free for 22 years. That's not to say I haven't felt plenty of n* (from certain foods, drinking too much, etc). Sometimes when I feel that way I wish I could just let go and "pull the trigger", as some say. I just can't do it. Unlike some people on here, I almost want to be surprised and have it come out of nowhere, because the anticipation just kills me. It's exhausting to keep fighting it off, but I do it anyway *sigh*.

Hi Alex, I am new to this site as well, and was very glad to have stumbled upon this site. I'm 26 and the last time I v* I was around 9 or 10 years old, I believe it was noro cos my whole family got sick. And I only remember v* one other time when I was about 5 years old. So 16 years v* free for me. But I am scared too death of v*... I can handle just about anything but. Like you, I avoid all contact with people I even think may be ill and I inspect any food I didn't cook myself. I used to avoid eating out at restaurants in fear of some food-borne illness I may contract, but my eme is not quite that severe anymore.

Last time I had it I was in year 4...
    Last edited by RudiL94; 01-31-2013 at 02:39 AM.

Hey Alex. I think us guys are more common than you think We may just have a little trouble admitting it sometimes.

I've been around here for a while but mainly just read. This year I'm curing this damn thing and getting past it! I can't remember exactly when my last time was but it was in my pre-teen years and I'm 30 now so maybe 18 years or so. My sister (22) is also an emet. I'm a little more "risky" than others. I have a child (5/girl) and I eat pretty much anything including going out once in a while. I think I might be addicted to Dominos..haha. I do wash my hands like crazy but I don't think that's a bad thing at all. I also have a little OCD about cleaning, raw food, and all the other "normal" stuff we all do.