Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Finding Treatment, Going to University

I warn you, this is quite a long winding story, you are a saint if you read it, but I'm in real need of some help and guidence from the people who know exactly what I'm going through

Firstly, we all (on here) know roughly how often we catch a stomach bug or whatever, for me, it's every 5 years, like, routine, it always has been, my sister says that this is irrational, but it always happens. I last got sick when I was 14, and it was so nasty that it made my emetophobia much stronger than it was before, which sucked. After 2 years of freaking out and my life began to go very much downhill (lack of social life, bad grades) I made myself pull it together and work hard on living and not let the fear take over like it was. And that's what I did. I'm 17 now, almost 18, I'm in my last year of A-Levels meaning that I should go to University this year (I've already applied) yet as it get's closer to 'the time' I'm finding my anxiety is growing stronger again and with the pressure of going to University, I'm not coping very well.

My initial idea for this problem was to have a gap year next year so I have the time to get treatment for the phobia (and also work and mature and stuff) so that when I go to University I can make the most out of it and do as well as possible rather than let my anxiety ruin the experience. The problem is will I manage to get treatment, and will it work? If anybody has any suggestions on what treatment I can have, that would be amazing (: and people also say to me not to let anxiety stop me from doing anything. I do really want to go to Uni because I want to move out and have a new life ect. yet at the rate I'm going, I know the fear will make it difficult if I go however, even if I stay I will be living in fear, but just maybe I might be able to get better.

People please let me know your thoughts or if you've been in a similar situation, I really need all the advice that I can get, thankyou - Rachael xx
    "I aspire to be greater than my nature will allow"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Finding Treatment, Going to University

I'm at the same age as you, 17, last year of A levels and applied to uni. I've had a bad time with my emet the last 6 months and i'm worried i won't be able to go to uni, its been my dream to go somewhere far away from home and be independant but lately i've had a hard time just leaving the house! I was also thinking about a gap year but i'm worried i won't be able to get back afterwards and i don't want to be at home while all my friends go away I'm afraid i can't be much help but i just thought you might like to know i understand how your feeling

As for the 5 year thing, i promise you its just a coincidence and as long as you keep good hygine you'll be fine
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

There is no such thing as a "cycle" so there's absolutely no reason you'd be sick after 5 years if you keep up your hygiene and are careful enough. I can't give you much advice about treatment (my emet is not bad enough to warrant that), but I've been in university for, oh, 6 years now and it's really not that bad. It's less stressful from an emet perspective than attending high school. I don't know what program you intend to apply for, but if it's in sciences you will find it hard to go back after a year off. Forgetting the basics happens very quickly and it makes it that much more difficult when trying to keep up with people for whom the information is still fresh in their brains.

Please, try to get treatment ASAP! It won't "cure" you, but it helps! I am in my 3rd year and just started treatment a few weeks ago after my parents begged me to, since I had a huge breakdown during finals week before winter break. I feel like I've let this phobia rule my life way too much.