Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default NEW Strain of Noro virus discovered

I'm freaking out! The news said that a new strain of Noro has been discovered and its just hit the west coast and is lasting 3-5 days and the cramps and v* are more intense than the regular strain. I think my friend and her family got this new strain because they have all been v* and d* for 3 days now and the doctor said it was noro. Why can't they come up with a vaccine for this! They did for Rotovirus!

Default Re: NEW Strain of Noro virus discovered

I believe you're talking about the Sydney strain. It is new this season but it has been around since I believe November-ish. I know it so scary but just remember that the media loves to hype things up. Just make sure you wash your hands frequently and sanitize frequently touched surfaces. Also, don't touch your face while in public and especially don't get caught up in the media reports

Think of it this way...23 million people get norovirus/norovirus-like illnesses a year.

There are 330 million people in the united states. Just basing off the numbers there is a 6.9% chance that any single american will come down with this illness (23/330). Not only that, but there are things you can do to decrease those odds such as washing your hands, not touching your mouth etc etc.

Seriously, don't buy the hype. ANY norovirus is extremely contagious, the sydney strain included, but take solace in the fact that it is NO more contagious than any other stomach virus. It isn't spread through the air, you cant get it by just standing next to someone.

But I understand, fully and completely with where you are coming from. You can't rationalize emetophobia away. It doesn't work like that. I know, I have tried many times in the depths of a full blown panic attack, and rationality doesn't help. I completely empathize with you.

Don't believe the hype. The Sidney strain is no worse than any other, it's just new. It's not one bit different than any other strain of noro. It's also going down, The peak was over the Christmas holiday. Take a deep breath. It will be okay. Spring is on the way.

I heard its no worse than normal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It was identified in march 2012, but who knows when the mutation actually happened? it could have been around a longer and we were kust blissfully unaware. It has already swept through the east coast. It's no different than any other strain, it's just something for reporters with no other stories to hype up.

It isn't new and it isn't worse. SOME people have it for 3 to 5 days, but those people always tend to have things longer.

This new strain has been around for months...since March of 2012 in Australia. But, it has been in the US since November or so.

My whole family caught it right before Christmas at a family gathering. Some people had it over night. Some had v and d for 12 hours and some only got stomach cramps and fever. I didn't v with it at all.

Try to stay calm. The media is hyping things this season.

Also be careful of the hype in people describing their symptoms and duration. I have a family member that does just that - hype the symptoms to garner greater sympathy from others or to see how many "too bad for you" FB posts. While I am sure there are those that do have this for a longer duration or with heavier symptoms, but those people tend to have other issues or co-morbities. Most of us have this for 12 to 24 hours - that's what I have been reading on line about it.

I freak out about Noro on a daily basis like most here. And to make things worse, I have a preschooler. She's never really gotten sick (knocking on my glass table) but still, it increases the risk.

Like most others said, the media loves to hype stuff out and make a big deal out of whatever comes their way. Remember when everyone in the world was going to die of SARS and like 3 people got it? I know it doesn't help because I freak about it daily too, but when it comes to the media I dismiss 95% of what I hear as them just trying to get ratings because that's usually all it is.