Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default G-g-guys - Mouldy tomato question?!

OK, so, I've been doing really well with my anxiety BUT about 45 mins ago I was making a salad... I rinsed a few cherry tomatoes under the tap and cut them up. I put one in my mouth, glanced back at the packet and saw loads of mould on a couple of the tomatoes! I'd only swallowed like half of the one in my mouth but I spat out the rest. Urgh, I swear it tasted bad. Anyway, now I'm so scared it's made me sick. I swear I feel nauseous but maybe that's just my anxiety. When will I know if I have FP? Is an hour long enough?? I've taken a probiotic. I'm too scared to eat anything else...oh god...

Default Re: G-g-guys - Mouldy tomato question?!

You didn't actually eat the one with the mold on it, and you only swallowed half a teeny-tiny cherry tomato. You'll be fine. Please try to relax. Even if you had swallowed half of one of the moldy ones, you would be fine because your digestive system and immune system are designed to kill off a lot of "bad" things before they can harm us. If that wasn't true, we'd all drop dead very quickly very easily because we're exposed to bacteria, germs, viruses, etc every day everywhere. Use the rest of the day to distract yourself doing something you actually enjoy and don't spend it driving yourself nuts, and in the process feeling sick because of anxiety, over a tiny piece of tomato.

Mold doesn't cause stomach illnesses and it can't make you sick in the same way. Bacteria and viruses multiply once inside your system (by attacking your cells) but mold is just an "irritant." It only causes respiratory issues unless you're allergic to it.

mould on fruit and veg isn't harmful at all of course its not ideal to eat it, but it won't make you sick if you do. i often eat mouldy strawberries by accident, but they've never made me sick
    feel free to check out my tumblr; Em's Flying- laughing in the face of anxiety
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<3 <3 <3
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <3 <3 <3

My mum picks out the good tomatoes or strawberries and throws the bad ones away and we've never gotten ill from that. You would have noticed if the tomatoes you rinsed were mouldy, so try not to worry too much!