Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default sick in ikea :((

i went to ikea with my girlfriend because i've never been to one, and i had some of the food they sell here. within 45 minutes i started feeling n* and just generally feeling like something bad might happen. i also started feeling warm all over, but i'm not sure if that's from the sunburn i got this week or not (
    has anyone ever felt sick after eating anything from ikea??

Default Re: sick in ikea :((

This is so weird! I went there on my bday to treat myself and this happened to me! It was AWFUL! Although I'm not sure if it was the food or not, but I was def sick! And ofcourse it's like 5 miles long to get through those stores so it makes my anxiety spike!! Lol. Hope you're feeling better now ) I know I had to walk outside and get a nice breathe of fresh air )

Sunburn throws off my body temp.

Ikea is hot and crowded. It is also a large store with a different way of purchasing items. Emets typically are not fond of crowds.

Sounds like it could have been combo of sunburn, heat, anxiety, etc. Hope you are feeling better. I ate there and was fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

i did feel better earlier but now i'm feeling kind of off again, but i'm not sure at this point if it's hunger or n* though.
    thanks for your help

Try eating some crackers and drinking water if you can. Start off with something light. You are prob hungry if it has been a while since you ate. I get n.. when hungry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

I just ate in IKea last week and I was fine! My mom felt queasy a few hours later..but my mom has a terrible stomach! Overall we were fine..I like their food!!

I work at Ikea. Honestly, I don't 100% trust their food. Meatballs only for me. I've heard of co-workers getting sick from the food.

I think its IKEA the store itself. Not anything to do with their food. If the food was bad I think you would know. Ikea makes me nauseated because its kind of like a maze and i am afraid of not finding the bathroom. Once i find it i want to stay near it at all times....lol or at least keep it in sight. There are no windows so its a little clausterphobic as well. I dont like walmart too much either but the aisles at walmart are wider and the ceiling is higher. That could have something to do with the anxiety you were feeling. Next time you get a chance, go there and see if you have the same or some of the same symptoms. Good luck. and I really dont think you are sick.

Ikea gives me a headache and icky feeling- I suspect it's the lighting. I have noticed there are random places that give me headaches and icky feelings and have figured out it's the lighting. Crowds don't make me anxious at all, so it's definitely not that in my case. Just a thought!

I just saw something on the news about the meatballs at Ikea being recalled. Did you by any chance eat the meatballs?

I hope you're feeling better!

I have never been in an Ikea (there's not one near me so I have to order online ), but I feel icky in certain places, too! I think it's the trapped feeling of those places like you all have said. I hate going to the mall but am fine going to separate stores at an outlet mall... There's a closer exit, I guess? And Walmart-- forget about it! But I'm ok at Target? So weird. I agree-- it's the lighting, too. And crowds are a factor for me.

Wow Jennjt I am so similar to you! I hate the mall most of the time... because of the feeling there is no quick escape. I am perfectly find in outdoor malls too! AND I HATE Walmart... I went in there yesterday and began dizzy.. but I feel perfectly content in Target most of the time! I wonder how this could be explained.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyP View Post
    I just saw something on the news about the meatballs at Ikea being recalled. Did you by any chance eat the meatballs?

I hope you're feeling better!
    The Meatballs thing is because there has been horsemeat DNA found in the meat rather than what they should be which is beef. Its a massive scandal going on in the UK right now, the horsemeat wont make anyone ill, its just the fact the people didnt say that horsemeat was in them.