Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Scared only when n*

Am I the only one that is only afraid when I am nauseated? I feel like being sick is no big deal when I don't feel nauseous or think I feel nauseous. I think to myself it prob not that big of a deal anyways. Then when I have anxiety induced nausea or nausea I'm a wreck. I wonder if it's not actually vomitting I fear but the feeling of nausea/ feelings associated with vomitting. I honestly believe if there were no feeling associated with it I would be fine.....now to find a way !

Default Re: Scared only when n*

I honestly think the n* is what makes us scared; the whole feeling before hand. Of course v* sucks but for me, the feeling is horrible and once it's done, it wasn't so bad but still, I'm scared.

Kaikey - see that what I think too! I haven't been sick in about 19 yrs so I totally forget what it feels like and it creates such fear for me. By the sound of your response it seems you remember the way it feels. I have a strong suspicion that what I have created in my mind is so much worse then what it really is. Would you say that when you were sick it was a heck of a lot less scary then u imagined it to be?

Oner - totally a fear of the unknown for me

I think my emet roots from a fear of choking. When I was youger my mom was screaming in my face to swallow a huge pill. It was my first time ever doing it so between my fear and her screaming at me I started hyperventilating and I choked, Then I v. I think my fear totally comes from the possibilty of choking and not being able to breathe, not so much the N, as awful as it is

KimberlyP - you kno now that you mention it I totally can relate because I have issues surrounding coughing and vomitting. I had coughed really hard the last time I vomited when I was little and I didn't even realise it bothered me until my therapist pointed it put to me when I was really bothered by a paragraph I read in exposure where it stated someone coughed very hard then been sick. She asked me if I know why the coughing bothered me and I had no clue. She then reminded me about my childhood experience I had described to her

Sometimes I think about it and I think "Oh, it's probably not THAT bad. It doesn't last forever, etc" But usually thinking about it makes me feel nervous. Just like you, it's been a looong time, so I have no idea what it is like. And the second my stomach does anything, I get panicky and feel sick
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Oh my god, this is exactly me. This past monday, i woke up at 3:30am with n*. I started to shake and couldnt stop and was crying because i was so scared but when i dont feel n* im like oh its not that bad. And i too believe that it is the n* that scares me and not the v*

For those who are scared only when Nauseous of you think you wouldn't be scared if it were sudden with no nausea? I really feel I would have no issue

The ONLY reason I get scared when I'm nauseous is the fear that I'll be sick. If I was told that I could feel as nauseous as was possible, but could never be sick even if I jumped and rolled around when I was nauseous, I'd be fine with that. It's only really the being sick that scares me. The nausea only scares me because it's an indication of being sick.

Sum1 - wow that's interesting to me! I just hate the feeling of nausea I find it to be too overwhelming in a scary way

It's so interesting learning about what aspect of the whole experience effects you all. I am scared of v at night time and not making it to a receptacle but I am absolutely parylized with fear when someone says they feel sicky.. I don.t understand why, but the last 3 times one of the children have been sick, a feeling of "phew, now s/he got it, s/he won't get it again, it is relief I think. It kind of feels like I'm expecting a visitor I'm scared of and hearing the knock on the door and thinking, "well at least I don't need to worry for for a while. Now only three kids to go". It's so stupid because I see now that I 'expect' them to get sick. Hope that makes sense!