Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Anti-Emetic Medications

I'm an emet who has never taken any anti-emetics, but I see a lot of people talking about them on here. I'm wondering what types are available, and whether they're prescribed or over the counter? How often you take them and under what circumstances? How did you ask your doctor about them?

I've tried searching for this information on Google but got a lot of confusing results.

Default Re: Anti-Emetic Medications

Hey, I have had anti-emetics for quite a few years, I have stemetil, which is prescribed to me by my doctor after years of not eating from the emetophobia, I know over the counter you can have Buccastem which has the same ingredient of stemetil in it. Maybe try explaining to your doctor that you have this fear and see what they suggest.

I take Antivert, which is Bonine and less drowsey dramimine over the counter. The bonine is great b/c it's chewable.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

I've never had any prescribed specifically because of my emet but I've taken several. Zofran doesn't usually make you sleepy. Promethizane/phenergan works but knocks you out. I had one other when I had my hysterectomy but don't remember the name. I'd already had a Zofran and it wasn't working so they gave me something different. Over the counter you've got Meclazine (less drowsy dramamine), Emetrol, Nauzine, Benadryl....

I've had both stemetil and domperidone prescribed. You can get domperidone over the counter under the name motillium in the uk. I got mine on prescription after not being able to eat normally for months due to the anxiety from my emet. If you ask you GP about the options available to you as taking OTC meds for a long time without medical supervision may do more harm than good.