Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Lexapro - whats your experience like?

I was on lexapro for about a year. I stopped taking it in December and now realize that it was probably a mistake. I take it for my anxiety but i don't have any depression. I started taking it again about a month ago and it seems to be making me very dizzy. I don't remember this being a side effect i experienced the first time i started taking it. I remember it making me feel nauseous if i didn't eat, which it did again this time. That seems to have passed just like i would expect but now i am dizzy all day long at work. I don't think its just my anxiety. I don't even take a lot. I take half of a 5mg. its all i can handle. Maybe thats the problem?

How was the experience of starting lexapro for you? Any dizziness?

Do you think it helps?

Thanks!!

Default Re: Lexapro - whats your experience like?

I was on Lexapro for a month and had awful side effects. I took 10mg. I had occasional dizziness, nausea, and heightened anxiety. I always took it with food. That being said, the dizziness should go away within 2weeks so you might want to talk to your doctor. Body chemistry changes, something that worked a year ago won't necessarily work now.

Personally, Lexapro did not help me at all. I am now on Zoloft, and though the initial side effects were awful I think it's helping now.

Feel better! and talk to your doctor

I am on Lexapro (for the second time), and it just goes to show that we all handle medications SO differently. My experience has been wonderful-- no side effects that are noticeable, and my anxiety / emet is manageable for the first time in a long time. The only reason I got off of it before and switched to something else was that I had gone for YEARS without a panic attack, and it was like emet was in the background-- only noticeable if someone in my house was sick, etc. My best friend passed away from cancer a few years ago, and my panic attacks started again-- like, once a week. I thought maybe the Lexapro wasn't working anymore-- like my body / brain had gotten used to it? My biggest mistake was getting off the Lexapro and switching to an SNRI... my world turned upside down. I was panicking nearly every day-- sometimes multiple attacks a day-- and because pretty much agoraphobic. I was an unmanageable mess for several months. Finally figured out that the medication was causing my anxiety to be turned up SEVERAL notches. My friend takes that same SNRI and swears it saved her life! Everyone has different chemistry, I suppose. When I FINALLY withdrew from that medication and went back on Lexapro, my life has gotten so much better. It just seems to be a fit for me. I am still emet, and I still panic occasionally, but I am LIVING with it, you know? So... for me, it's great, but everyone is different. I am on 20 mg, btw. 1/2 of a 5 mg doesn't seem like much to me?
    "A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." --Michel de Montaigne

I was on it for a year, didn't notice a difference so I stopped taking it. When I stopped the first time, I felt dizzy for a few days. I started taking it again and also felt dizzy but it eventually went away. Then I just stopped for good because it just wasn't doing anything for my anxiety.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

I found citalopram works better that Lexapro. Lexapro has way to many side effects. Hope you can find something that works!

I am on Lexapro 15mg. When I started my side effects were mild dizziness, headaches, and a few days of diarrhea. It took a few weeks for my body to adjust fully and now I don't have any side effects.

Although I just said the above were side effects, I'm not sure how much was caused by the pills and how much was caused by my anxiety about taking the pills. You may want to ask your doctor if adding a low dose of Xanax for a few weeks is an option to help you get on the Lexapro (2.5mg isn't an effective dose) - I know it really helped me.

I take Lexapro with zero side effects but honestly, everyone's body reacts differently so it's hard to say. I used to take Zoloft and when I went off that (did straight cold-turkey...bad idea) not only did I have horrid mood swings but I felt n* and had d*