Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs up Dentist and my emet! *WARNING GRAPHIC*

Hey all people! I just had to say this, and share it with you...

I went to the dentist yesterday, because I'm planning to get braces. And of course, without impressions, there's no way to get braces...

Two weeks ago they tried to take my impressions, the lower jaw was easy, no big deal... But when my upper impression came, and that perforated impression tray touched my palate, I automatically closed my mouth and lifted my tongue... They just couldn't take the impression! I was so afraid of v*ing that I just could not bare the tray in my upper teeth and palate!

So, they said: "Come in fifteen days, and this time, take a valium..."

And those fifteen days were yesterday...

I just sat there, and when they came, the same happened: closed my mouth and lift my tongue!
    I said: "Leave it, I'm not going to have braces, leave this like it is, I'm going to make you guys waste your time"
    And my dentist (who is very handsome, by the way) said: "You just can't quit because of an impression! It's an impression! Let's try again!"
    And we did so.. But when he put the tray again inside my mouth.. This huge gag reflex came -stomach empty- and my eyes were filled with tears...

Once again, I told them that I would just go, and leave all my idea of having braces right there...

But I knew I had to make it!
    I remember having gone through the "impressions" when I was six years old!

I just sitted straighter on my seat, and looked up to the ceiling... And said: "Okay, go ahead"
    This time no tongue, no gag, no nothing... They just took my impression, and -they said- was perfect! Mine was as no other has been in a long time!

I have to admit the minute and a half with that thing inside my mouth was eternal! And sometimes I felt the temptation to lift my tongue again... But luckily my dentist was there to ease me...

And berfore I realised, it was over!

I felt like I have passed one of my final examinations at university!

I just wanted to share this with you. It's just a matter of self control and serenity.

I encourage every emet here, who wants to wear braces, not to be discouraged by this impressions, it's uncomfortable, but if I did it, every single person here also can!

CherryPie

Default Re: Dentist and my emet! *WARNING GRAPHIC*

Wow I had soooo much trouble with impressions when I got braces when I was younger! Trust me I totally understand how you felt as those things are DREADFUL. But congrats on pushing through like that!

Well done. Impressions are nasty!! Ive had them done for several reasons over the years & each time I try & breath through my nose & keep my tongue from touching the tray but there has been the odd ocassion when my heart has been racing & I could feel the panic wash over me like a wave. When your braces come off everytime you look at your beautiful straight teeth you can pat yourself on the back & be proud of your achievement

I got impressions when I was 12 and it took ages for the top teeth because i kept spitting the tray out and crying! and then they didn't even approve me for braces
    congrats on getting them done! you're so brave!

How was that graphic?

Good job, impressions suck. Try listening to a ipod and or doing accupressure for n and see if they help too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

I never had any issues with the impressions, have gotten them done several times for braces, retainers, night guards...last year, I was getting them for a night guard, and the stupid assistant kept messing up until the dentist came in, and they had to do it like FOUR TIMES on the upper part! gahhh... -_-

Basically, you just need to lift your soft palate and open wide, kind of like when you are singing.

SUM1, some people are just sensitive to gagging as they associate it with retching and v*. c:
    Keep my heart light, maintain internal heights.

You did great. I had impressions done when i had to have bridges. Sat in the dentist chair and i didnt even think about gagging or v*ing. Till my dad turns round and said ohhhhh this makes me wretch and then turns to the dentist and tells them about my phobia. I panicked but got it done, it was either that or 2 gaps in the front of my mouth coz 2 of my adult teeth didnt appear.

Good job. It's the damn X-rays that make me gag!!! Lol they have to be super fast