Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Questions about Ondansetron/Zofran

My emetophobia has been worse then ever for the last couple of months, so I went to the doctor and got a prescription for Ondansetron. I don't think the doctor had ever heard about this phobia before, and when I asked for Ondansetron (generic of Zofran) he wasn't sure about the dosage but I got the 8 mg tablets. Off course I'm not planning on taking these daily, but to have them as an extra security if I get too anxious or if have to do something important and really don't want to have a panic attack. Is there anyone else who take this medicine, and how much do you take?

Yesterday I tried half a tablet, and after one hour I got a headache and felt dizzy and a bit drowsy. Anyone else who had have these adverse reactions? And did those get better when you got used to the medicine? I feel a bit nervous because I won't be able to take the medicine at work if it makes me dizzy. Today I tried an even smaller dose, just a quarter of a tablet, and didn't feel anything at all, but on the other hand I guess that tiny dose won't have any effect either?

(I'm new here, so I hope I put the thread in the right place, and excuse me for my bad English...)

Default Re: Questions about Ondansetron/Zofran

What effect are you looking for? If you need an rx for nausea, Zofran isn't your best option. I have it in the house for when some is actually v* from a virus, I don't think it's meant to be taken daily for anxiety/upset stomach. Yes, it does cause major headaches and can cause severe constipation, so really I am surprised your doc prescribed it! I would advise going back for something different. It will work should you ever actually feel nauseated do to a sv*, so it's good to have on hand, but for daily use, I would ask for something different.

Thank you for your answer!
    I know I can't take them every day, and I don't want to do that either! I just wanted to have them at home as a security, if I really get sick, and for when I have to do something where I really can't have a bad panic attack (like an exam).
    I just wondered how high dose your doctors have prescribed to you for use in those situations? And if anyone knows if the adverse effects tend to get worse or better with time?
    Yes, I was surprised about the prescription too, the doctor gave me 50 tablets without hesitation. I know this isn't a cure, but I hope that I'll manage to get through the summer. After the summer I'll be able to seek help again, I hope to get some therapy to get rid of this stupid phobia for good!

I take Zofran when I'm ill or if I think I'm getting ill when the sv has been through our house. The 4mg dosage works well for me, and the only side effect I have is drowsiness, which is sort of nice! When I had an sv (caught it from my kids), I took 4mg at 7pm, another 4mg at 10pm, and another 4mg at 3am or so, and it got me through the night! I would take up to 8mg at a time if I needed, but I haven't needed to yet!

You would be better asking the doctor for Domperidone, or if you are in the UK you can buy it over the counter its called Motilium. Its an anti-emetic and it better to use for anxiety purposes as its very well tolerated.