Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Just tell me ill be okay?

Okay so I've had this phobia before the incident so just a heads up. Before probably like 3 or 4 years ago maybe more I was very sick mentally because of my emet. It had been at its highest and it just so happened that it was the fourth July and I was fine the whole day up until fireworks and for some reason I started to get very nervous and anxious and wanted to leave because I was just scared and my mom and brother said no so I waited forever and I got this pain in my stomach because I was crying so hard and was so scared I'd throw up. Later that night when I worked myself up so badly I actually p***d and ever since then I have been terrified of the Fourth of July. Whenever it comes my day is filled with anxiety. I can't seem to overcome it and since I had my boyfriend of a year to help me last year get through it I was okay but now that we're actually recently broken up I feel very alone and scared and just unprotected I guess.. I just feel like ill get sick this fourth because I did a long time ago. I know it's irrational but that's what our fear is all about.. A fear of ourselves basically. I just need someone to tell me I WILL be okay. It almost 6 a.m and its all I've been thinking about for days.. It's so dumb how I'm scared of it. Please someone just help me

Default Re: Just tell me ill be okay?

Hi, sorry it's taken so long for someone to reply. Emet's a horrible thing, and it can take over your life as you mentioned. What happened to you last year is an example of how horrid it can be, but remember that how you felt was as a result of the phobia and not the date. Bear that in mind as you celebrate this year: there is no real reason for it to happen again. Try to focus on the enjoyable things today. If you have been prescribed anxiety meds, make sure to take them as prescribed to help keep anxiety at bay. If not, there are plenty of over-the-counter herbal alternatives. In the UK we have Kalms or Bach's Rescue Remedy which are herbal anxiety remedies and are really effective for me. Ask your pharmacist. Enjoy your day. YOU WILL BE OKAY!!

Hope this isn't too late to say but you WILL be okay!!! The first thing you have to say to yourself is that you were sick because you worked yourself up so much, not because of a virus or anything else. SO this year, you will say that you are NOT going to go down that stupid road again and you are going to enjoy the 4th. If it makes you feel better, do something totally different, eat a little carefully, that always helps me. It's not too late to start to remind yourself and prepare to be relaxed and have a good time. Keep repeating positive things over and over. Imagine that with each explosion of the fireworks, you are exploding your anxious thoughts to smithereens!! Good luck...

You will be okay!!!!! Enjoy the 4th!!!!