Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: regressing

I'm not on here much at all anymore....at least I haven't been..I guess I haven't really had a problem with the phobia. Not so anymore though.

I have taken this job at wal mart as a night stockman. First on a temporary basis, then when that was done, I did another temporary job, then was rehired just last week. This time it seems to be taking a much larger toll on my sanity.

The overnight work seems to be causing severe depression, and I can't think straight anymore. I don't enjoy anything, and all I do when I'm not at work is think about how much I can't bear working there.

But that stuff isn't that relevant, though it contributes a little. No, what happened today has set me off the deep end. It's tough in the first place because disease is rampant on the night crew, it seems. There's always someone in the hospital, and always a few people calling in sick. Part of this is norwalk. People have been getting that. Ok, whatever....I'll just wash my hands.

My "friend", who I have been friends with since high school, who also somehow knows about my phobia, came up to me and coughed into my face deliberately, and there actually were......droplets around my mouth area....and then said "don't worry, I just have norwalk".

I don't know if he actually has had it or not, but that seems to be irrelevant. This is pushing me over the edge. Also, earlier that night the person in the next aisle went off to the washroom for like 10 minutes, then came back and said she was going home sick. I can't deal with this.

what a horrible night to have a curse.

That is really common[img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]. The nerve of your friend doing that to you. Maybe you are just not met for night work. Im a nurse and simply cannot stand working overnight.

Could you work different hours?

I'm so sorry that happened - that is just awful! Some people...That has really angered me - I know what its like to have people know about your phobia and abuse the fact that you are scared of v*.

Like madisonsmom says - perhaps nightwork is not for you - you are probably feeling as you do due to your body clock being out of sync. If you really can't stand working there why not look for other work that you might enjoy - for example, cleaning offices (poss thru an agency) or sign up to a temping agency...that way you'll be faced with a variety of different jobs.

I don;t know what to suggest really - but you do sound so down - I'm sure that everythig that happened today had really affected you. Do you still live at/near home? If you are that scared maybe talk to a friend or parent and tell them how you are feeling (ask them to sit with you if needs be to calm you down and reassure u abot your worries.

I hope you'll be fine and be feeling a lot more positive tomorrow.

X

<font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

You have the true sign of hating your job: using your time off to think about how much you hate your job and dreading going there. If it's in your budget, I would say to quit. I have been there before and you know, even though it's money, you just won't be happy if you hate what you do to make it. My dad worked shift work most of his life and I would always secretly think that he was more susceptible to getting sick when he was on nights. It messes with your natural rhythm and can't be good for you continually... granted there are less people around, which would totally be my thing, but don't destroy yourself doing it.

That sucks about your friend who coughed in your face. How rude. I hope you can stay well.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

The person who purposely coughed in your face is a jackass.

You said it japa. Even if you weren't afraid of being sick, what kind of idiot would do that? And I defenitly agree, working nights can really screw with you. I worked midnights for two years, and it took me about 6 months to adjust. For the first couple of months, I would wake up feeling sick to my stomach, I would have really bad diarrhea. It was horrible, untilI got used to being up in the middle of the night. Your body is basically saying what are you doing up?? Even though we had some sleep, its the middle of the night!! I defenitly think that working nights affects you wrong. If it is messing with your body too much then switch shifts if you can. But if you can stick through, I have to say working nights was my favorite shift!! And I think a lot of people call in sick, or go home sick because they are tired. That is what I used to do. I hope you feel better.

Michele

I don't have anyone, family or friends, that gives any credence to my phobia. They just brush it off and tell me that I'm lazy or whatever....

But I mean, from day one I've hated this crap. I've worked it before, but this time just seems to not be working very well.

There's always someone sick there, and I know that people get sick everywhere all the time, but its way more frequent and noticeable here.

The body never really gets used to 3rd shift....people just get indifferent to what it's doing to them. Nobody there is healthy. I value my health above some entry level laboring job. Is that so wrong?

I can't tell you what to do, but I would strongly suggest you find
    another job. Jobs are a dime a dozen and don't let anyone tell
    you otherwise. The people you work with are vulgar, unrefined
    and crass. Believe me they are not insensitive only to your
    emet. These kind of people are insensitive to everything.
    No job is worth hating your life over. Get your resume out there
    and start applying at other places. Don't let the door hit you on
    the way out.

Stella

I'm sorry that you do not have any support for emet - that must be so hard to cope.

I do strongly suggest like others here that you look for other work...perhaps instead of thinking about how muh you hate your current job on your time off you could look through the papers or internet to find other work. By this I mean work during the day - that way you and others around you will feel healthier due to the body working during the day and not at a time that it doesn't want to.

Let us know how you get on

<font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

I'm quitting today. I can't look for jobs at 3am.....this isn't worth another hour of my time.