Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Help!! Mom sick!!! Freaking out!!

At about 2:30 this morning, my mom did that scary thing none of us like out of nowhere... she and my dad had the same thing for dinner, but I'm not sure of what she had for lunch, would it be possible it could be something she ate from that long ago? I just need to be reassured that it's NOT anything that I'm going to catch, I can't even type the words!! Could it be her food was too rich for her to digest, or that she is getting older, or that she ate too much food, or anything that's NOT contagious? Any replies are appreciated!!! Thank you!!! xxx (oh and before anyone asks, she is menopause age so NOT pregnant...)

Default Re: Help!! Mom sick!!! Freaking out!!

Without anymore context than that, it's almost impossible for us to even guess whether it was a SV or something that isn't contagious. It's really hard not to know, and it's even harder that we don't have anywhere near the control that we'd like to think we do. I would do my best to avoid any food she prepares or going to the bathroom behind her until/unless you know it was non-contagious or she's been better for awhile, beyond that keep your hands washed. It's easier said than done, but try not to freak out too much since we have no idea if this is even something you can catch. It very well might not be. Even if it is a SV it is by no means certain that you'll get it. In that situation, it's gotten me sometimes and other times I've avoided it. Hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by jkl81 View Post
    Without anymore context than that, it's almost impossible for us to even guess whether it was a SV or something that isn't contagious. It's really hard not to know, and it's even harder that we don't have anywhere near the control that we'd like to think we do. I would do my best to avoid any food she prepares or going to the bathroom behind her until/unless you know it was non-contagious or she's been better for awhile, beyond that keep your hands washed. It's easier said than done, but try not to freak out too much since we have no idea if this is even something you can catch. It very well might not be. Even if it is a SV it is by no means certain that you'll get it. In that situation, it's gotten me sometimes and other times I've avoided it. Hang in there.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll post again as soon as I have some more context on the situation. It hasn't happened again (so far as I know....knock on wood) so that has to be a good sign? It's easy to get confused on the actual length of time it takes for someone to contract fp and the actual symptoms of anything contagious and all that... thanks for the advice about avoiding any food prepared (anything prepared already, I mean.) I hadn't thought of that. If it doesn't happen again, should I be in the clear as far as it being anything contagious?
    Last edited by Mrs. Bloom; 09-22-2013 at 04:00 AM.

If it was only the one time, something she ate probably disagreed with her. The food could have been fine, just not fine for her. One and done doesn't sound like sv to me.

Rather than working yourself up I think it's best that you sit down and deal with this head on. Tell her that you're anxious because she was ill and ask her if it felt like a sv*. It could have been a migraine or a hormonal issue. How do you know that she v*ed? Talk to her about food prep this week and how you can help to disinfect. Rather than avoiding her or the surfaces do what you need to do to keep it clean and not be stuck focusing on it this week. I do agree with the others that it doesn't sound like a sv* but I also don't believe that you'll be convinced enough about it to relax. Seriously, have a talk with her to calm you down and make you feel safe in your living environment.