Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question The THRIVE Programme.

Hey!

Just wondering if anybody here has taken part in or bought Rob Kelly's Thrive Programme? It's called 'Cure your Emetophobia & Thrive'.

I have bought the book but haven't started it yet. I'm due to start it next week.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it with a therapist or bought the book and started it alone? If so, what are your opinions?

Lauren.

Default Re: The THRIVE Programme.

I was considering doing this with a hypnotherapist but I am always a little skeptical about those kinda self help things, bit I am interested to see how you and others find/found it x

I first came across it when having a consultation with a hynoanalysis (sp?) therapist. Although she said I was too young to have hynoanalysis and recommended the THRIVE programme. What she explained about sounded fantastic to be honest but like yourself, I was a little skeptical, especially when she wanted £60 a session for approx. 12 sessions. I'm on ESA because of my Emet and there is no way I could have found the funds for it. It was only one night when my anxiety was particularly bad and I just thought, "I can't deal with this anymore!!", that I decided to have a look for some self help books. The book itself has only been released to the general public without obtaining it through a therapist at the end of March. Luckily my mum went to an exhibition in London and they were selling it there at a 'reduced, opening offer' price. I've had a flick through it and it does make sense, I'm going to start it within the next couple of weeks so will definitely keep you posted x

Hey, it's great you went out and bought it! Once you start, could you possibly post progress/thoughts? I'm interested in trying it out and want to see how it works for you!
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost

Don't let anxiety win.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lauren,
    I deliver the Thrive Programme for Emetophobia and can tell you the following things about it. We have now conducted the most comprehensive scientific research into Emetophobia that has been carried out to date and 85% of sufferers moved their symptoms from "having a severe effect on a daily basis" to "little or no effect". The remaining 15% Still felt a "moderate" level of symptomology having previously also characterised their symptoms as having a significant impact. This research is available FREE to any Emetophobia sufferer who is interested on my website. Fear-of-being-sick(dot)com The book is really designed to be used in a face-to-face "counselling" environment as this allows a "reference" point of view to be utilised. One of the key things to remember is that every single person is different and needs to make different changes which is why I'd recommend following the Programme with properly trained support (A Thrive Consultant) - I have helped loads of Emetophobia sufferers in the West Midlands and I can honestly sat that I believe that there is NO more effective approach to overcoming the problem available. Paul

Hi Paul! I did want to go through it with a therapist as that seemed the most logical approach. Unfortunately, as I said in a previous post, my Emet has affected me that much that it has left having to claim Employment and Support Allowance. The therapist I saw wanted £60 a week for approximately 12 sessions. While I cannot put a price on getting rid of this vile phobia, I just can't physically afford it if I went ahead with these sessions, I'd be left with pennies to live on I really appreciate your advice and under any other circumstances I would jump at the chance to work through it with a therapist! I love the statistics too! Thanks again for your post
    “Self confidence is the most attractive quality a person can have. how can anyone see how awesome you are if you can’t see it yourself?”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ive just brought that book! I have one more session with a therapist and then I'm on my own again. I've been on ESA benefit for this problem and my OCD for 3 years now and I would love to get it under control this year. I don't want another winter like last winter.
    Unfortunately I have to work on this programme alone, but I hope I'll still get something from it, so far I like it and makes me feel smiley

Hi Whisper! So glad you've bought the book too It's awful having to rely on ESA when all I really want to do is get out there and work like a normal person, whatever normal is.. Haha! I feel the same as you, I cannot carry on like this. I travel to Australia for six months in four weeks time and would love to start working on the book before I go, I did intend to but I've just been so busy! I'm glad the book makes you smiley When I had a flick through, I completely got it, everything in it makes sense, right? I'm interested to read about the DREAM technique too! Keep us updated as to how you get on. We're strong enough to do this by ourselves, I have no doubt about that!
    “Self confidence is the most attractive quality a person can have. how can anyone see how awesome you are if you can’t see it yourself?”

Brave of you travelling to Australia! Very impressed.

I just really liked that he kept saying it's not your fault that you developed this phobia, but only you can work to overcome it. I think we need more reminders like that, this condition can make you feel so stupid and we need to remember it's not our fault! And We are awesome!

Wow, I have never heard of this at all, over here in New Zealand, but keep us posted, as I would love to hear about anyones accomplishments, no matter how small Maybe PaulStephenLee would be able to give his story?

Hello

I'm going to be doing the Thrive Emetophobia programme in a few weeks - just with the book - search "Rob Kelly Emetophobia" on Amazon.

Will post progress updates here if anyone's interested.

Roll on recovery!

x

Im on chapter nine and so far i am very impressed it is working. What he says is making complete sense and its about changing your thought patterns and it really does work. He tells you to visualise how you want the day to pan out so to think your day hru with no anxiety, so if you have to get on a train visualise a journey where you dont get anxious. I did it for a train ride i had to do yesterday and when i felt surges of anxiety i used his techniques. I managed to travel 40 miles away from home and go to a funeral and a wake. I then went shopping round a city centre and travelled back. Considering this was the furthest and longest time out of my house in three months and i had only mild anxiety that i prevented turning into a full blown panic i definitely feel positive re his methods. Also i noticed that i wasnt constantly people watching on the train if someone looked ill or was acting like they could be ill andthats normally my worst thing on a train for inducing anxiety.

I ordered the thrive book also.. Once I start I will for post back about how I think it is working for me. Ive had emetaphobia ever since I can remember and im 25 now.. My emtaphobia brings me great anxiety and panic attacks.. I cant use medication forever I need to get a handle on this.. Ill let you guys know

I've just ordered this book, I was recently discharged from CBT, and I'm feeling like I could use more help

Anyone have any follow ups on the book, and how it worked for them? I'd be interested in getting it possibly if I heard how it worked for others!

Ive found the book fantastic i would really recommend it. You have to ensure you complete the exercises fully and write what you feel and not what you think you should feel. My emet hasnt gone but its not effecting me in everything i do. I have a thought then acknowledge it and replace it with a good thought.

I have the origional book, not the emetophobia one. I didn't go through it properly the first time round but it's easy to see how it could be a great help. You have to do all the exercises fully as mentioned. I am going through it again and I am confident it will help.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

I've had this book for a little while now and have been slowly going through it as a 'recap' having done CBT.

I am often sceptical about self help books, but this is brilliant. It's empathetic without being patronising and encouraging without being annoying. Plus, the following quote pretty much defines my anxiety patterns:

'when the (conscious) will and imagination are conflicted, the imagination invariably wins the day'

It's great- im doing it too and i really hope it will cure me.

Just ordered the book last night! I have to wait almost a month for it but I'm really looking forward to reading it and will let everyone know how it is!

I'm currently having CBT, NLP and I ordered the book being talked about yesterday. I really hope one of these treatments help.

I also downloaded the book Thrive for iPad on amazon for $9.99. It's One of his other books about happiness, health, stress, Etc. just started last night and it's excellent so far and is on point with how I think with my mind! I do suggest it.

I just ordered this book also and would like to hear how it has worked for people!

I agree with some of the above posters, I cannot afford a Thrive consultant I am a student. I have bought the boo though and I working through the exercises. I will just have to be strict with myself and take them seriously and actually put a few hours a week into the exercises. I think the chapters on self esteem are wonderful and have some useful activities to boost yours. I think when your self esteem is greater you have more energy, focus and drive to beat this phobia.

Lets see how it goes, I am glad I bought it.

Having read everyone's comments I've also bought it - hopefully with the CBT I'm due to start il get back to being able to function without so much stress and anxiety xx

Well worth a punt for 20 quid

How is everyone coming along with this book? I'm only on Chapter 3 right now, but it seems to be very well-written, and as Mrs. Fox said, it really hits a sweet spot where it's encouraging and empowering, but not patronizing and/or annoying. It really picks apart the different aspects of how you think and what you build your thoughts on.

Just received it a couple days ago and will start reading it this weekend! I'm looking forward!

I found the info on limiting beliefs and imagination very good. I had quite a strong liimiting belief that I will feel nausea for hours, have to go for walk and be alone etc. This would of course make me feel ill. So what ever self talk I would do was worthless as the imagination always seems to win against our best intentions. So this book highlighted to me to actually imagine my day being successful. I physically sit there and imagine about three different scenario playing out. 1) I imagine sitting at the table eating lots of food and being hungry with a smile on my face, I imagine enjoying the food. 2) I am chilling in bed in the evening feeling content and watching DVD's (Not going for walks and panicking about nausea. 3) I am busy rushing around at work with a smile on my face being successful. I had a limiting belief that this would stop me from working you see. If I ever feel a bit nausea or bloated I imagine number one and think I will be hungry later. All this stops me from thinking negatively about the future about stuff that has not happened yet.

Sorry to waffle on I just this one change really helped. I had a limiting belief about not being able to work and letting patients down. I am at medical school and I will eventually be a doctor so this naturally put pressure on myself. I would not eat all day so I did not feel sick at medical school and only eat at night., Just changing how I thought about the future changed everything for me. I eat breakfast before I go, I take pasta in a box and eat it at dinner. I even load up on carbs before my two hour dissection session now. It does not even enter my head "Oh god I will feel sick later" "what happens if I get sick later" etc. Imagining positive thoughts is like an anit-virus software and it just inoculates the negative thoughts from popping up. I do have ruff days but I use Anti emetics as a last resort and just sit down and chill with a DVD on. My life is very manageable now, actually it is more than manageable it is great. I might actually post this on the Thrive thread actually. I have not finished all the book yet so there is more improvements to come. Hope any of this info helps.