Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Thrive Program recent updates and successes

I just wanted open are more recent thread for those doing Thrive, How is it going and what chapters are you on, what is really working ?

I found the info on limiting beliefs and imagination very good. I had quite a strong liimiting belief that I will feel nausea for hours, have to go for walk and be alone etc. This would of course make me feel ill. So what ever self talk I would do was worthless as the imagination always seems to win against our best intentions. So this book highlighted to me to actually imagine my day being successful. I physically sit there and imagine about three different scenario playing out. 1) I imagine sitting at the table eating lots of food and being hungry with a smile on my face, I imagine enjoying the food. 2) I am chilling in bed in the evening feeling content and watching DVD's (Not going for walks and panicking about nausea. 3) I am busy rushing around at work with a smile on my face being successful. I had a limiting belief that this would stop me from working you see. If I ever feel a bit nausea or bloated I imagine number one and think I will be hungry later. All this stops me from thinking negatively about the future about stuff that has not happened yet.

Sorry to waffle on I just this one change really helped. I had a limiting belief about not being able to work and letting patients down. I am at medical school and I will eventually be a doctor so this naturally put pressure on myself. I would not eat all day so I did not feel sick at medical school and only eat at night., Just changing how I thought about the future changed everything for me. I eat breakfast before I go, I take pasta in a box and eat it at dinner. I even load up on carbs before my two hour dissection session now. It does not even enter my head "Oh god I will feel sick later" "what happens if I get sick later" etc. Imagining positive thoughts is like an anit-virus software and it just inoculates the negative thoughts from popping up. I do have ruff days but I use Anti emetics as a last resort and just sit down and chill with a DVD on. My life is very manageable now, actually it is more than manageable it is great. I might actually post this on the Thrive thread actually. I have not finished all the book yet so there is more improvements to come. Hope any of this info helps

Default Re: Thrive Program recent updates and successes

This really sounds like an awesome program. That may have just convinced me to buy it. I'm doing well with my phobia and pushing myself out of my comfort zone, but feel like I need to move beyond this before I have kids, so I can learn to manage children ickies without full blown anxiety attacks and living in fear.

Good to hear you are doing well with things HE18

It's not working out too well for me i'm afraid
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

How come? It has really helped me I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell242 View Post
    How come? It has really helped me I think.
    I wish I knew
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it