Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What in the world is this that's going around?

I'm hearing horror stories and I do NOT like them! Up north, where I used to live, there are many sick. It doesn't sound like noro to me though. They are passing around something with v'ing and d, fever, headache. However, they will get it, be sick for about 24 hours, feel better the next day and then end up feeling sick again the following day. It seems like everyone who is getting it is following that pattern. What in the world is that? I know with kids sometimes, their stomachs aren't ready for a lot of food so they get sick again when they eat too much. But, these are adults too. Anyone know what could cause those symptoms?

Default Re: What in the world is this that's going around?

Are they just feeling sick a couple of days later or vomiting? My last bug I felt fine after vomiting, felt great the next day, then felt unwell for a few days after that but no more vomiting. People could simply be getting back to their regular routine too quickly.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

I had a headache sickness a few weeks ago. Severe headache for days, bad dizziness, bad n*. I didn't v* only because I had left over anti-emetics. My dad had it, my best friend had it, her husband, and her son all had it. Some with v*ing. Thankfully my daughter didn't get it *knock on wood*. No idea what the heck it was. But the damn headache was the worst. Even after my stomach felt better the headache stayed strong for days.

This bug is ridiculous !!! It's been going around here in Tennessee for a while now. I am freaking as bad as you are. All we can do is wash rinse and repeat!!! I will be thinking of you. Just know there is someone out there who understands how your feeling right now. Take care, if you find out more about this bug please let me know.

Up north where?

Jglover, I am in TN too And lots of bugs going around here too, although I have only heard of one kid with the headache/v* illness. Most just have typical sv, strep, or nasty colds. I kind of just thought the kid with th headache virus wasbeing introduced to "real food"too quickly and had a relapse, but maybe not

What they actually throw up again 2 days later? Sounds scary but there is no logical explanation for that - the diarrhoea and your immune system rids the body of the virus so if they really are actually comiting it is like it has suddenly overwhelmed the immune system again which like I say doesn't make much sense to a non medical person such as me! I know when I had noro I was off food for a good week at least and kept getting intense nausea attacks too up to a month later although i will never know how much of that was anxiety nausea as it set my emet off big time, but yes as others have said if people have resumed their normal lives without being properly better it could cause them a bit of a setback i guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't get it either! It doesn't make sense. I first heard of it from a friend who's 2 daughter's caught it. They got better for a day then got sick again...both of them. Oddly enough, a month later they both got sick the SAME WAY! Since then I've heard of it in another area, 700 miles from the first friend...from several people. Now, some are just getting it for the 24 hours, but I'm hearing of many who feel better then get sick again. I keep thinking maybe they are just trying to eat again too soon.

Sounds like some kind of flu with the headache.

I don't think I had the flu. I didn't have a fever, chills, body aches, no sneezing, no mucus. Just had a severe headache and terrible n*. Everyone who I previously listed had the same symptoms that I had. No one ever got the classic flu symptoms. Just headache, n*, d*, and some had v*.

Not sure what it is either. I'm also in TN but have a friend in Mississippi who's family had a weird virus. Her daughter had on/off v*ing for a week with days in the middle of feeling fine (went to school, soccer, etc.). Her husband caught it and only v*ed for 24 hours. Then her son came home from school v*ing but with a fever, he tested positive for strep. A day later her other daughter started v*ing and she also tested positive for strep. I wondered if the first daughter actually had strep which was untreated. Who knows. If so, why did the father v*? Ah, the old V* puzzle, can't ever truly be solved can it? No matter what, I'll take the light version that was going around earlier, please. This week long stuff sounds downright awful! That being said, the important factor is that everyone has lived to tell the tale!

I got similar sickness to this about a month ago, a lot of it was head and throat was swollen. I felt nausea and stomach pain, but never threw up. A friend had gotten the same thing, but he did end up throwing up and was hospitalized. They said it was a bacterial infection, and it must've been as we both got antibiotics and were fine after...not sure if it's the same illness, but I remember the head pain being particularly bad.
    Life is so worth living.

Sounds like Food Poisoning from Campylobacter which can cause this kind of illness. It starts with Vomiting and in certain circumstance can get better the next day and then worse the day after. The reason this occurs is because Bacteria does not infect cells, it is the toxins of bacteria that cause the illness. Therefore with Bacterial Food Poisoning, a person can vomit and rid themselves for enough toxins from the Bacteria to make the immune system believe that all the Bacteria Particles and Toxins are gone. Then a few days later, when the existing bacteria create more toxins, the immune system starts its cycle again causing vomiting and diarrhea. Best defence against this is to either have anti-biotics or drink pro-biotic yogurt, which will line the stomach with benefiting and harmless bacteria which should kill or outnumber the harmful bacteria.

Ugh sounds like its here too. Just read a facebook post from my neighbor *shudder* "This stomach virus needs to leave now. Thought I was all better and boom its back and worse than before" Noooooooooo!!!!! Hopefully it's the same thing that I had right before halloween. *crosses fingers*
    Last edited by MaybeBaby; 11-17-2013 at 09:28 PM.

I feel like that right now only no d*. I have a headache that is literally pounding and killing me!!! And I have been so n* since last night. I have severe stomach issues so it could just be me, but this needs to go now! Not only is it taking everything I have to not v*, but my anxiety is through the roof! This is awful! I think it may just be my typical stuff though. Don't know how much longer I can fight it off. It's really bad when I get to this point. I'm just a wreck tonight :'(
    " Take the First step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. "

It's going around down here in Texas. My daughter had it. Our friends had it. They all felt better for 3-4 days and then it was back for 24 hours. Our friends nine month old was v'ing for seven days. I was getting upset that they didn't take her to the hospital
    Colleen

My family has it and none of my brothers and sisters heed my warnings :c I'm so jittery and nervous /.\ I need someone to talk to :c awoo

You know, I wish I never came across this website. Would have been much happier not hearing about this.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me in the past and good luck to everyone. I'm outta here.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

Jptk, I am sorry that my post has upset you. I am here in the US though. You may not have anything like that going around in your country. I'm sorry...I just wondered if someone could give me insight as to what it was. Maybe some kind of food poisoning or something? I don't want to hear about it going around either...unfortunately I don't live in a bubble and it is reality.

Colleen, did you catch it from your daughter? I ask because that sounds much more like rota than noro. I am thinking it isn't noro at all that these people are getting. Actually, a friend of mine had it in her house this week and it was the regular 24 hour thing. Her son v'd a couple of times overnight and was eating bland foods by the following evening.

Quote Originally Posted by sdd View Post
    Jptk, I am sorry that my post has upset you. I am here in the US though. You may not have anything like that going around in your country. I'm sorry...I just wondered if someone could give me insight as to what it was. Maybe some kind of food poisoning or something? I don't want to hear about it going around either...unfortunately I don't live in a bubble and it is reality.
    Leaving is proving difficult! :s

Reality sure does suck, living in a bubble sounds fairly appealing to me.

This has me quite upset as well. I've had a few friends who've had this. One of my friends is a nurse, her father is a doctor and her daughter (12 years old) came down with a bug that lasted a week and a half! V*ing daily. I've been so upset. She went through all sorts of testing and it came back stomach virus. NOOOOO! This does not help my anxiety.

To save my sanity I am gonna chalk it up to people eating too much too soon for a week! Shhh don't tell me otherwise

The good news is that no matter what it is, everyone survived and lived to tell the tale. Even though it sounds dreadful nobody that I've known has become paranoid or nearly has terrified as I am and they've been through the WORSE!

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
    This has me quite upset as well. I've had a few friends who've had this. One of my friends is a nurse, her father is a doctor and her daughter (12 years old) came down with a bug that lasted a week and a half! V*ing daily. I've been so upset. She went through all sorts of testing and it came back stomach virus. NOOOOO! This does not help my anxiety.
    Yeah this certainly isn't good news.. I wonder is this some sort of new strain or what?

Ditchy Jon, I think you're right. That went around here this summer. I caught it and only had bad gas for as couple of days because I'd been exposed to it before in my "travels" in western Asia courtesy the US Air Force. Antoibiotics should clear it up much faster. In my non medical opinion, I think the initially v is probably the virus, and the following v is from headache pain. Perhaps if those who have it can keep the headache pain at bay, they can also reduce the n. Around here, even the elderly people with terrible immune systems got better much faster with antibiotics.

Sryup, try to remember that your friend and her family work in a hospital where they are probably exposed to more exotic diseases than the average person and in a more intense way. If I remember correctly Cincinnati has an international airport and it's a major hub.

I think this is a common thing anyway. After throwing up and having diarrhea, your digestive system would be a lot weaker. A lot of the digestive bacteria would need to be replaced and the acids in the stomach would be out of balance. I think the 2 day late vomiting is just indigestion. Some people throw up when they just feel slightly nauseous because it makes them feel better.... which makes sense I guess for them... or small children. Their tummies are weak.