Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default cold weather and noro?

Does noro only hit cold weather climates? Or does it also affect warm weather places too? I swear I hate winter

Default Re: cold weather and noro?

Both. Its less likely but you can catch it in summer. I has a sv in July 2011. I live in arizona where its VERY hot. so yea...
    Its just passed around more in winter since people tend to stay inside near eachother away from the cold
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥

My in-laws live in Hawaii and they have a noro season as well.

This sucks. I hate this virus, why does it have to even exist. I feel like people aren't even educated well enough about noro, and that if they were than the spread would be less. Like I cannot stand peoples' dependence on hand sanitizers as opposed to actually using soap and warm water to clean your hands, don't they know that the sanitizers don't kill everything?

To a lot of the people Norovirus is just another illness that last about a day and then they are fine. Believe me there are far worse viruses out there that cause a lot more than a days bad stomach.

I had the worst case of noro I've ever had in May, one week after my junior prom...it's been almost 20 years ago but I remember it well So yes, it can happen in cold or warm weather. It's going around a lot right now because it's cold and people are indoors, plus it's getting close to the holidays and there are lots of events (parties, etc) that people don't want to miss just because they or their child was sick the day before. It drives me crazy too. I just want to relax and enjoy the holiday season, but I can't because my anxiety is dialed way up

I think it revolves around the school calendar. School starts, Noro starts spreading. Mid-school year, it spikes. Schools out, Noro decreases. I don't think it has anything to do with the weather, but is wrapped up in school being in session. It happens every year, everywhere the same schedule. Thankfully, life goes on.

I think you're on to something there, Sryup.

Quote Originally Posted by ditchy_jon View Post
    To a lot of the people Norovirus is just another illness that last about a day and then they are fine. Believe me there are far worse viruses out there that cause a lot more than a days bad stomach.
    This is a key point that we often all forget. So many people see noro as no more annoying as the common cold, others (like us) associate a far deeper rooted fear behind the physicality and discomfort -- usually stemming from an uncomfortability with being out of control with an equal dose of negligence and guilt in having allowed ourselves to get sick. I wish I could be sensible, but my fear overtakes my senses. I'm feeling "exposed" left and right, which spins me into high alert.

I asked a friend the other day how often she thinks about the stomach flu. She didn't answer me. Why? Because there was no answer. It's not something people think about.

I think about it every single day.

I will do something to fight this.