Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default In need of some guidance and comfort

Hi there, everyone!

My name is Donna. I am new here. I have been pondering over the passed day or two as to whether I am making the right decision or not.

Let me explain...

I am an emet like most of the members here. And I am currently working towards my degree in Nursing. I figured, on the way, that I would get my CNA certificate. You know, to get me some experience in the field. Well, over the passed couple of days, I have been stuck in my head and terrified about what is to come in the future. I know in my heart that this is the right path for me, but I am SO freaked out over seeing people sick, bodily fluids, etc. My friend, who is an EMT, warned me that I WILL get sick at least a few times, before I get used to all the grossness of being a CNA/Nurse. I am SO terrified because I haven't v*ed since I was about 13 years old (and it wasn't terrible) and the last time before that, I was 9 (which is really bad)...but, at the time I didn't care! I am 26 years old now, and I am absolutely terrified. I try to talk to my husband about it but he doesn't understand. All he can do is rub my back, and tell me I'm going to be okay. I have tried talking to my therapist about it, and she tries to rationalize it. Hell, even I have tried rationalizing it, and I can't seem to get it to stick.

I know that the career path I am choosing is so much more than this. And I want to be able to help people without feeling afraid.

Please help me.

Donna

Default Re: In need of some guidance and comfort

Donna,

I completely understand where you are coming from. I am an RN-BSN student, about to start my last semester of nursing school! Please be encouraged by knowing that I rarely (if ever) get sick from working in the hospital. Take all the precautions (hand hygiene, showering right when you get home, etc) and you'll be fine! I hope you will not let your emetophobia stop you from pursuing a career in nursing. When I first started clinicals, I would have panic attacks if I even thought the patient I was assigned to had the potential to v*. However, after caring for tons of patients, my emetophobia has greatly improved. I wish you the very best! Stay strong!

Default Re: In need of some guidance and comfort

Hi Donna,

I'm a clinical social worker working at a psych hospital. I work on a detox where patients are v*ing all the time. If it's not because they are detoxing, it's they are ill - many are homeless and very unhealthy. I get panicked occasionally and admit that I am super anxious anticipating them getting sick in front of me, but I am SO much better than when I first started. It has greatly helped my emet. I think, honestly, it's like one big exposure therapy series (that you get paid for, haha). I bet you will experience the same!