Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Taking Imodium

Default Taking Imodium

So I have had d* on and off since last night. The cramps aren't bad but I have had some accidents getting to the bathroom in time. I don't know if it's a sv or anxiety. Do you think it's ok to take and Imodium to slow it down a little? If you have a sv is it bad to take Imodium will you get sicker if you slow down the d*?

Default Re: Taking Imodium

Go ahead and take it. My kids' doctor told me this week that gastro docs discourage the use of Pepto (I can't remember why), but Imodium is okay. There are a number of reasons you might have d which are not sv related. I had d from a parasite infection I picks up while serving in Western Asia for four years and I used Imodium at leat twice a week for four years before I finally found a doc who took it seriously and prescribed antibiotics for it. I never had any effects from it. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Grace I think I will take one just to slow it down a little.

It should stop it almost entirely. Hopefully, this problem will clear up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Natiebear View Post
    Thanks Grace I think I will take one just to slow it down a little.
    I usually go by how bad the diarrhea is. If its only a few times a day it may be best not to take Immodium. However if you are finding you are going more than once every hour, definitely take it. Also I have to admit that I only usually take it if I need to go somewhere and I dont want to be caught short as it usually gives me worsening cramps and constipation. Hope you feel better soon.

Yeah take it, it'll help you out. The body doesn't need to get rid of a sv so it won't make you sicker by taking it. It sounds like it may be a bug of some sort as anxiety diarrhoea shouldn't be the kind that make you have the odd accident getting to the toilet. The only time I think it's not a great idea to take it is if you've got food poisoning as the body DOES need to get it out so bunging yourself up with Imodium can make it worse. Hope you feel better soon!

I took one Imodium and it stopped it. I have gas now that's annoying but better then having an accident. I ate some toast last night but I'm scared to eat today. I need to eat but not hungry.

Imodium is brilliantJ sorry to ask on your thread but does anyone know if stopping diarrhoea increases the chance of you v’ing? I only ask because the last time I got a bug I used immodium to stop my d* in the eve and was ill at 2 in the morning, I keep wondering whether if id endured the d I could have avoided v’ing at all? I really think your d* is from stress/ibs and if you were going to be ill you would have been already, I hope you are feeling better now and will be back to normal soon xx

Quote Originally Posted by sarahh View Post
    Imodium is brilliantJ sorry to ask on your thread but does anyone know if stopping diarrhoea increases the chance of you v’ing? I only ask because the last time I got a bug I used immodium to stop my d* in the eve and was ill at 2 in the morning, I keep wondering whether if id endured the d I could have avoided v’ing at all? I really think your d* is from stress/ibs and if you were going to be ill you would have been already, I hope you are feeling better now and will be back to normal soon xx
    Yes and No, taking immodium cannot trick you brain into thinking that you cant have diarrhea so therefore it vomit instead, however taking to much or if the diarrhea is not severe enough can cause constipation, which in turn can make you nauseous and if you are already very nauseous from a Stomach Illness it can make you brain induce vomiting.

Quote Originally Posted by ditchy_jon View Post
    Yes and No, taking immodium cannot trick you brain into thinking that you cant have diarrhea so therefore it vomit instead, however taking to much or if the diarrhea is not severe enough can cause constipation, which in turn can make you nauseous and if you are already very nauseous from a Stomach Illness it can make you brain induce vomiting.
    Mine was so severe I went in my pants twice lol so Imodium was a good idea.

Thanks John, oh god natiebear that sounds horrid! Hopefully its all over now? X

I'm fine now guys! I had a hard time getting back to eating today but hope I wake up ok tomorrow. It's going to be warm here tomorrow so my spirits are up.