Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Emetics don't work.. :c

Quote Originally Posted by Mamafear View Post
    I understand both sides and everyone is obviously entitled to an opinion but when you're on your own journey through this miserable phobia, you're the captain and you make the decisions (antiemetics or no) that will stop you from running aground. How another emet chooses to cope in rough seas is their business (particularly when it prevents a shipwreck! :-)
    Fabulous post Mamafear! I totally agree. I reckon a little compassion goes a long way

I understand both sides and everyone is obviously entitled to an opinion but when you're on your own journey through this miserable phobia, you're the captain and you make the decisions (antiemetics or no) that will stop you from running aground. How another emet chooses to cope in rough seas is their business (particularly when it prevents a shipwreck! :-)
    Mamafear, I have seen you post so many good things, I just wanted to say you are so good with your words and your advices are just splendid. Xx
    I also agree with this.
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

Gee, I didn't know caring about prescription drug overuse and borderline abuse was not compassionate. Warning people of the dangers of using prescription drugs when you don't actually need them and being concerned about others health is why I post on these threads. Anti-emetics are not bad drugs, but they are not meant to pacify phobias. Sorry, I live in a state with a high rate of prescription drug abuse. It's too easy to get hooked on them and long term use or overuse can be very, very serious. So no, I care about the people on here and I can't just stand back and let false information or dangerous information float around. I can't stop people from taking it as they wish, but maybe someone will heed my concerns and do their own research and see that I am saying any of this to cause a fight. I am saying it because I want people here safe and alive on their journey out of this phobia.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Dairyfreelife View Post
    Gee, I didn't know caring about prescription drug overuse and borderline abuse was not compassionate. Warning people of the dangers of using prescription drugs when you don't actually need them and being concerned about others health is why I post on these threads. Anti-emetics are not bad drugs, but they are not meant to pacify phobias. Sorry, I live in a state with a high rate of prescription drug abuse. It's too easy to get hooked on them and long term use or overuse can be very, very serious. So no, I care about the people on here and I can't just stand back and let false information or dangerous information float around. I can't stop people from taking it as they wish, but maybe someone will heed my concerns and do their own research and see that I am saying any of this to cause a fight. I am saying it because I want people here safe and alive on their journey out of this phobia.
    I agree. Advising against anti-emetics isn't lack of compassion, it's just a different kind of compassion that people on here don't seem to want, which is a shame because there's so much more to life than popping medication every time your tummy rumbles and avoiding everything under the sun .

But in the end, it's everyone's own choice. If they want to abuse prescription drugs, they're going to do it whether we advise them against it or not, really.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not that there isn't any good intentions behind your words, it is that you're making it sound like it is the worst thing under the sun. As the other member said, some countries, certain Anti-Emetics aren't prescription. What about those members?

I have 3 different prescription anti emetics which I get on repeat from my doc. He advised me to have them all and they are neither habit forming nor detrimental to your health. I take them in moderation when I need them. I have no intentions of changing this as I have them on actual medical advice. I find the idea that others may see this as prescription drug abuse to be fairly offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by klm142 View Post
    I have 3 different prescription anti emetics which I get on repeat from my doc. He advised me to have them all and they are neither habit forming nor detrimental to your health. I take them in moderation when I need them. I have no intentions of changing this as I have them on actual medical advice. I find the idea that others may see this as prescription drug abuse to be fairly offensive.
    I understand you... I'm on my Promethazine and supposed to take them 3 time a day... though I rarely do 3 a day.

Dairyfree, you and I probably are not going to exactly agree as you are fully in the pro recovery camp whereas I can't be there and be any kind of honest with my fellow emets. I'm trying as hard as I can not to v*, and maybe you're right, maybe that's the wrong thing to do, but I doubt I'm going to change. That having been said, I am not advocating prescription drug abuse, which I see as use that is of a type inconsistent with any legitimate application of the drug, or in such a way that it may seriously harm or kill the user. Using promethazine, for example, in case of an gastrointestinal illness does not fit this definition in my opinion. Maybe you're right and I'm wrong. I also advise people to be honest with their doctors about what they're doing with the drugs and to learn enough about them from reputable, peer reviewed literature, and to follow warnings from the maker, and to be careful about mixing antiemetics with anything else. I advise them to check with a healthcare professional if they aren't sure what they're doing is safe, not to take mine or anyone else's word for it. I also say that antiemetics are to be respected and used carefully, and that there are risks to using them. We also must recognize that there are a lot of acceptable uses for some of these drugs, not just for cancer patients and so forth. I'll use the promethazine example again....in the UK and parts of Australia, it's OTC. It's used for allergies and histamine mediated allergic reactions. It is also sold as a sleeping pill OTC in the UK, and a motion sickness preventative. Yes it also is indicated with severe v*ing from gastroenteritis in adults and some kids. That having been said, it's not a drug that's safe for all people in all situations. Certain patients with heart conditions or depressed breathing shouldn't take it, and it's not indicated for seniors unless otherwise directed. I know that your tough love comes from a good place and that you are well educated. Your advice is probably good for those who fully intend to overcome the phobia altogether, but for people like me that are doing their best to live well with emetophobia, antiemetic knowledge is a very important part of living a life that is not completely consumed with emetophobia. Also, I try very hard to minimize my use of antiemetics, recognizing fully the risk of psychological dependency, and I try to conserve them for those times when I really need them, and deal with the anxiety without this security blanket most of the time, but they are never far from me.

That's fine. If you're taking them on the advice of your doctor, go for it. What I personally mean when I say "abuse" is people who lie to doctors about why they need to have them or somehow get hold of other's prescriptions.

So if you've gone to your doctor and said "I have emetophobia, vomiting terrifies me and sometimes it makes me feel really sick, blah blah blah" (whatever else you might say to your doctor about your personal situation) and s/he goes, "okay, I'm going to give you these anti emetics. Take them whenever you feel sick." that's fine, whatever! Take them whenever you feel sick. BUT if you've gone to the doctor suffering nothing more than anxiety but said, "I have terrible IBS and motion sickness and cyclic vomiting syndrome, and every other thing that can make me vomit." , when really, its JUST for anxiety, THAT is abuse. And you'd be surprised how many people here do that.

but once again, if people want to mess with their health like that, it's up to them, they're going to do it whether we say anything or not.

Yeah Kaydeejayde, that's more or less how it was with me. I was just honest with my doctor, I said something to the effect of you know I'm terrified of v* and I don't intend to use these all the time...only when I feel really sick but sometimes my anxiety makes me feel ill and I would like to try this treatment if a SV ever got me. She said ok.... she is also the one that prescribed my SSRI drugs when I was on them and keeps an eye on me with my (cautious) use of benzos for anxiety attacks. My take on it is that with all drugs you must respect the chemistry....they are powerful chemicals and you may be playing with fire. In my opinion this is no less true with the SSRI drugs a lot of people around here recommend as it is with antiemetics or anything else. I do agree it's a bad idea to be dishonest with your doctor....you want that to be a relationship of trust or as nearly so as possible. One more thing before we put this topic to bed....everyone please check very carefully about any multidrug cocktails you may use, before using them. Ideally the doctors you have know what the others have prescribed or you have a smart pharmacist checking behind them, but don't assume. Do your own homework and ask if you have any doubt. Such combinations can also extend to include supplements and OTC drugs. Be safe and be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by jkl81 View Post
    Yeah Kaydeejayde, that's more or less how it was with me. I was just honest with my doctor, I said something to the effect of you know I'm terrified of v* and I don't intend to use these all the time...only when I feel really sick but sometimes my anxiety makes me feel ill and I would like to try this treatment if a SV ever got me. She said ok.... she is also the one that prescribed my SSRI drugs when I was on them and keeps an eye on me with my (cautious) use of benzos for anxiety attacks. My take on it is that with all drugs you must respect the chemistry....they are powerful chemicals and you may be playing with fire. In my opinion this is no less true with the SSRI drugs a lot of people around here recommend as it is with antiemetics or anything else. I do agree it's a bad idea to be dishonest with your doctor....you want that to be a relationship of trust or as nearly so as possible. One more thing before we put this topic to bed....everyone please check very carefully about any multidrug cocktails you may use, before using them. Ideally the doctors you have know what the others have prescribed or you have a smart pharmacist checking behind them, but don't assume. Do your own homework and ask if you have any doubt. Such combinations can also extend to include supplements and OTC drugs. Be safe and be careful.
    Look, that's exactly it. I have nothing against people using them on the advice of their doctor (and I know you're smart enough to do the right thing, jkl!), I really don't. It's when people lie about it.

Dairyfree, you and I probably are not going to exactly agree as you are fully in the pro recovery camp whereas I can't be there and be any kind of honest with my fellow emets. I'm trying as hard as I can not to v*, and maybe you're right, maybe that's the wrong thing to do, but I doubt I'm going to change. That having been said, I am not advocating prescription drug abuse, which I see as use that is of a type inconsistent with any legitimate application of the drug, or in such a way that it may seriously harm or kill the user. Using promethazine, for example, in case of an gastrointestinal illness does not fit this definition in my opinion. Maybe you're right and I'm wrong. I also advise people to be honest with their doctors about what they're doing with the drugs and to learn enough about them from reputable, peer reviewed literature, and to follow warnings from the maker, and to be careful about mixing antiemetics with anything else. I advise them to check with a healthcare professional if they aren't sure what they're doing is safe, not to take mine or anyone else's word for it. I also say that antiemetics are to be respected and used carefully, and that there are risks to using them. We also must recognize that there are a lot of acceptable uses for some of these drugs, not just for cancer patients and so forth. I'll use the promethazine example again....in the UK and parts of Australia, it's OTC. It's used for allergies and histamine mediated allergic reactions. It is also sold as a sleeping pill OTC in the UK, and a motion sickness preventative. Yes it also is indicated with severe v*ing from gastroenteritis in adults and some kids. That having been said, it's not a drug that's safe for all people in all situations. Certain patients with heart conditions or depressed breathing shouldn't take it, and it's not indicated for seniors unless otherwise directed. I know that your tough love comes from a good place and that you are well educated. Your advice is probably good for those who fully intend to overcome the phobia altogether, but for people like me that are doing their best to live well with emetophobia, antiemetic knowledge is a very important part of living a life that is not completely consumed with emetophobia. Also, I try very hard to minimize my use of antiemetics, recognizing fully the risk of psychological dependency, and I try to conserve them for those times when I really need them, and deal with the anxiety without this security blanket most of the time, but they are never far from me.
    This is a very kind response. I absolutely think you will improve. I've been there, thinking I will never get better at all, even a little, because my emet was so bad. But I have. I am not recovered from it. I still have issues. I still get nervous when people around me say they do not feel well or had a stomach bug. I still have issues with other people vomiting.
    I do take heart with this because I just know many people who have become dependent on drugs first used for something good, but became a problem. Not just painkillers either. And dependency is more than just chemical, also psychological, so I appreciate your concern with that and trying to not get that yourself.
    I really do wish you all the best and believe with all my heart you will get to the recovery stage. Because I've been where you are, just trying to live with emetophobia, thinking you'll never get better so just deal with this. Because of that I also know that's not true and you can get past the just living. You do not have to just survive, you can thrive. I really hope you find a good therapist who can help you. It made all the difference in the world for me-finding a therapist who truly cared and wanted me to get better. I only wish you the same.

Thanks Kaydeejayde and Dairyfree!

I'm with you. I get anti emetics too, cos I feel s every day do to stomach problems, I can take up to 4 a day but I try and stay on 1-2, sometimes 3-4 but never over 4, even if I really feel like I need to.
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

I am at this stage too but have never had the courage to admit it . Thank you Jkl81 for putting it into words and making it easier to acknowledge. X :-)
    Last edited by Mamafear; 02-09-2014 at 03:15 AM.
    Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Facebook Donna Mutch

Quote Originally Posted by Felle View Post
    Mamafear, I have seen you post so many good things, I just wanted to say you are so good with your words and your advices are just splendid. Xx
    I also agree with this.
    Hey hun, if I'm honest, I am so screwed up with this phobia and it hurts to see so many people on the forum feeling the same. It is such a sad way to live. Thank you for your kindness, it means alot to me. X

Facebook Donna Mutch

Quote Originally Posted by Dairyfreelife View Post
    I didn't say you didn't care. Isimply said that people will cope the best they can in their own way. They're well aware of the risks, and whether or not they chose anto emetics is not really our business. I truly mean no offense. :-)

Facebook Donna Mutch

There is a few research papers showing the effectiveness of anti-emetic medication for stomach bugs. Also they are used regularly in the treatment of n and v in chemotherapy patients. They do work if you read about the mechanisms of vomiting. However they are not very effective for anxiety induced nausea, pepto bismol is quite good though (That is just my opinion that one). If you are experiencing anxiety related nausea learn relaxation techniques and seek help with your Dr and use CBT. This will reduce the nausea of time and you will not reach for the cabinet for the tabs nearly as often.

Taking anti emetics is not bad for you but it does feed the phobia so to speak. In an ideal world we would not have this phobia nd not care about vomiting so we woud not need the tables. I do not know how far you are with your journey or if you are seeking to recover but using anti emetics as a "Crutch" is not a bad thing. Just try to use them less and seeke help. I just reserve them not if I feel absolutely terrible and I have something important like med school to go to and I cannot be distracted. I went from taking anti emetics a few times a week (prob when I really didn't not need to) to taking them twice last month.

Just remember it's small steps, tablets are not idea but they are an aid until you address the emetophobia.

I do not mean to bump an old thread, but for someone that now has a physical dependence on Xanax (an anti-anxiety medicine) that if I stop suddenly could induce seizures...yeah I would much rather a DR prescribe someone anti-emetics. If you stop taking Zofran one day, there are no ill effects. If you stop taking Xanax one day (or any other benzo) you are in a world of pain. I would much rather my fellow emets to rely on Zofran (and other anti-emetics) than benzos.

Benzos, even when used for a short period of time, can cause dependency. Withdrawal from benzos are awful, and you must taper from them to do so safely. Withdrawal symptoms from benzos include nausea, body aches, rebound anxiety, flu-like symptoms, insomnia, I mean the list goes on. End of story: Cold turkey withdrawal from Xanax and other benzos = life threatening. Tapering from them = still hell, but not as bad. Cold turkey Zofran: no side effects, no withdrawal symptoms.

Better Zofran than Xanax, Ativan, or Klonopin.

Just sayin'.
    “Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.”-Oscar Wilde

Yeah, but Benzo's can be used to help in the recovery from emet… Zofran doesn't. In fact, quite the opposite… Just sayin'.

Really? Benzos just treat symptoms of anxiety, not recovering from emet. Zofran could also be touted as being helpful in the recovery as emet, some people feel freer knowing they have an antiemetic.

I've been on benzos for over two years, no change in my emet. If I *had* to choose between benzos and Zofran, I would go with Zofran. However, that's impossible, because I would have to go through hell in order to get off of Xanax.

My advice, do your research on benzos - they are supposed to be used short-term only, however; phobics typically use them long-term, which creates so many issues. Emets are prone to this, especially, since SSRIs have such a high incidence of nausea and vomiting, many (including myself) are fearful of them. Plus, they also cause physical dependency.

What exactly is wrong with having (and using) Zofran? Some constipation and a headache? Lol.

Xanax? Well...
    "Benzodiazepine withdrawal is characterized by often severe sleep disturbance, irritability, increased tension and anxiety, panic attacks, hand tremor, sweating, difficulty with concentration, confusion and cognitive difficulty, memory problems, dry retching and nausea, weight loss, palpitations, headache, muscular pain and stiffness, a host of perceptual changes, hallucinations, seizures, psychosis, and suicide."
    “Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.”-Oscar Wilde

What I said was that Benzo's CAN help. YES, they treat the symptoms of anxiety.... but I like to think of them as a bandaid. Use them to soften the symptoms of anxiety while the disorder itself is being treated, and hopefully work towards a point where treatment has been successful and one can be weaned off them. Yes, withdrawal CAN be tough, but it doesn't need to be as bad as you're making out. If it's done VERY gradually, and under the supervision of a medical professional, honestly, it doesn't have to be that bad.

The problem with taking Zofran for anxiety-induced nausea? Really, it's just re-enforcing the fear.

This is going to be my last post in this thread, because it's quite ridiculous that one can fathom arguing the safety of benzos over an antiemetic. However, I am going to make this clear for people that may come across this thread.

Zofran you can use every day and stop whenever you want, with no ill effects. The most common side effects of Zofran are headache and constipation.
    Benzos have a wide array of side effects, however; the withdrawal (don't be fooled into thinking you can take it for a month every day and be fine coming off of it) would most likely be the worst thing you've ever went through. PLEASE do your research. You think the nausea from anxiety is bad? Ha.

Zofran has never reinforced my fear, it's always made me more liberal with going out, going to school, etc. If anything, it has helped me when nothing else would - just knowing something was in my bookbag, purse, etc. that could help me feel better.

Finally, recovery from emet is tough. Honestly, I've been a member of this board for a while and I've yet to hear of one actual recovery that "stuck" and yeah, that's grim and pretty negative. However, I've come to accept that after 15 years of suffering from emet, years of therapy, years of meds, that I will never get better. I'll have my good and bad days, or hell, good and bad YEARS, but this phobia will always be a part of me.

Zofran makes that part of me more manageable. I, for one, wish I had never visited a psychiatrist (who prescribes psych meds) and was put on Xanax. I regret it every day.

Again, this was my last post in this thread. If you take Xanax/benzos for longer than required you *will* (even with a taper, trust me I know) go through withdrawal. The fact that you're an emet makes these effects even worse. My advice? Don't take benzos. If you're already on them (on a regular basis), try to stay on them. Emets would suffer tremendously by having to go through withdrawal. BENZO WITHDRAWAL IS REGARDED AS ONE OF THE WORST WITHDRAWALS ONE CAN GO THROUGH.

That is all. Enjoy your Zofran!

And Kaydee, this is nothing personal against you, I have a physical dependence on a drug you're recommending over a drug that does not give a person a physical dependence. That is bad advice, even if you feel the safer drug reinforces the phobia.

It's not bad advice, it's different advice. It all comes down to the fact that different things are going to work for different people.

And you have heard of a recovery that's stuck now. Mine.

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    It's not bad advice, it's different advice. It all comes down to the fact that different things are going to work for different people.

And you have heard of a recovery that's stuck now. Mine.
    Also, long term use of zofran DOES have negative effects. And yes, you can develop a physical dependence on anti-emetics as well.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7841856
    So, yeah, taking benzodiazepine is not a good way to stop emet, but taking zofran is not a good idea either. Xanax and Valium and the like are meant for temporary use in most cases, not long term.
    http://www.patient.co.uk/health/stop...es-and-z-drugs
    All drugs can cause dependency, all drugs can be abused and addiction can occur with any drug. That's why it is vital to explain everything to your doctors, take all medicine as prescribed, discuss any issues or side effects with your doctors and never stop a medicine early or take more than said if it is not working.
    I take an anti-depressant and anxiety medication. Never zofran or a benzodiazepine for anxiety, except once with surgery given to me without asking and a benzodiazepine was given in case I needed a quick calm down...aka while flying, lol
    Good luck getting off your medicine and I wish you a full recovery from benzodiazepines and from emetophobia all together.

and this just because it made me think of it after my post...

In all of my research on Zofran, I have read only a handful of cases where a person has became ill, or had a new illness, while taking Zofran. It could not be linked to Zofran, though, because the person (the main person) was on chemo and was very sick. This person developed pancreatitis. I would really like to see your research on physical dependence (not mental dependence, anyone can become mentally dependent on ANYTHING - reality TV, chocolate, etc.) and Zofran.

I am a very cautious person when it comes to drugs. When I was prescribed Xanax, I was at my wit's end, though. My body was literally deteriorating before my eyes. Xanax helped numb me long enough to get through a workday (my emet got incredibly severe when I was working a temp job at a call center) and that was it. I was down to 100lbs (at almost 5'7") and refused/could not eat. I was driving to work and hour and a half each way (I have a family, and I was desperate for a job, and this was the only one I can land at the time... I had just grad. with my AA degree and was transferring to the school I am graduating from in May, go me!). I had to pay bills. I had no idea how detrimental it would be to my mental (and thus, physical) health.

Psychs want to shove every pill under the sun into you. See, I was familiar with SSRIs, I was given them when I was a kid and first started experiencing anxiety related to my emet. I was given Prozac. My mom stopped giving it to me after a few weeks due because I became a different person. I was sluggish, zombie-like, etc. I was way too young to be on a SSRI. However, I remember that feeling quite well, thus I stayed away from SSRIs. I was unfamiliar with benzos when I saw my first psych & therapist as an adult (who prescribed them to me). I never asked for them. However, once I got home and researched them I thought, "Hey, I will just take these as needed while I am working and stop them before I go to UNC, so I won't become addicted!" Because the first thing I noticed was nausea/vomiting was not a well-known side effect. So, I took them. They made me feel slightly human again. However, that feeling goes away quite quickly. You build tolerance to it the more you take it (I was originally on .25mg twice a day, and am now up to .5mg four times a day, in less than 2 years), and if you skip a dose, you notice it. However, some people don't start noticing withdrawal from benzos for a few days to a week. However, I have been on Zofran since I was a kid, some times I've had to do without, especially throughout my adult life (insurance being cancelled, etc.) and not once did I experience anything but anxiety knowing that if I felt sick or had GI issues, I had nothing to help me. This is even during what I consider the "golden years" of my emet, where I was really careless and stuff. I mean, I was definitely emet, but I think there are tiers/levels of severity. However, no withdrawal symptoms, nothing.

At this point, I do not think I will ever be off Xanax. I used to feel extreme guilt and shame, because I felt like a drug addict. Before two events occurred that dramatically increased the severity of my emet, I wouldn't take as much as an over the counter pain pill (seriously, had two surgeries and refused all pain meds, even OTC). Now, I am much more liberal with OTC pain meds. I take my Xanax as prescribed, but there are days when I take more. The one thing that I have gotten better with is my overdosing of Zofran. I now take it less than prescribed, but some days I feel sicker than my normal.

However, I was prescribed Zofran before I was even an emet. I have been on it since 11-12 years old, when I was diagnosed with gallstones and was extremely sick. After gallbladder removal, I started experiencing a ton of GI symptoms (that I still suffer with today) that NO kid should go through, which ramped up my emet.

I don't know why anyone is arguing the safety of an antiemetic in contrast to a benzo. But, I beg all emets out there, it may seem like temporary relief. It really may, but it is not worth it. I guess it is because of my own personal struggle, my research over the past year, my going through stages of feeling guilty, ashamed, etc. Then came acceptance. I wanted to bring more awareness to this issue. A lot of psychs have stopped prescribing benzos all together, because the dependency comes on fast, and the withdrawals can be fatal. For what it's worth to anyone, it is considered worse than opiate withdrawal (opiates encompass all sorts of stuff including narcotics and meth), if that tells you anything.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...might-kill-you

Anyway, I know I am not the only one who feels this way about benzos. No, it hasn't ruined my life. No, I do not get "high" from it. But I regret it. Because I know that it can take 6+ months to successfully withdrawal from a benzo. I know I will have to do a strict taper regimen to lower my risk of side effects and seizure (and even with tapering, you STILL have withdrawal side effects). I know that although people don't like to admit it, if you use a controlled substance on a regular basis, you are considered addicted (and a drug abuser). Why? Because, most controlled substances are not meant to be taken long-term. If you take it off-label (for example, Xanax is for 2-4 weeks, not to be taken on a regular schedule, etc.) then you are abusing the drug.

I really am not trying to be "right" or sit up tall on my high horse. This is truly out of concern. Ask any psych or physician what they'd rather you be on and every. single. one would say Zofran.

If you have any questions regarding benzos, benzo withdrawal, forums for people that use benzos on a regular basis, etc. Feel free to message me. I have found a ton of great resources. As of right now, my emet is too severe to handle the GI side effects that you must endure for benzo withdrawal (even with a taper), so there is no way for me to taper now. I hope I will make it there in the future.

Also, Kaydee, aren't you still afraid of seeing others vomit? If so, that's not cured from emet. Emet is broad and it involves a lot of aspects. Cured, to psychs, means that there is no residual effects from the illness you were suffering from. If you still have issues with vomit (and are still frequenting this board, even), then you are still actively suffering with emet. I am not trying to "down" your progress, because it is great, but it is not cured. I don't aim to be cured, because I honestly don't think one could ever be cured due to the fact that it's not ONLY an outside phobia, rather it's both external and internal. I aim to live a manageable life with my emet. Good luck on your journey, all of you.

Like I said earlier, I am here for any and everyone that wants to discuss emet, OCD, anxiety, benzos, other medications, etc.

Wow, such condescension ... is this facebook? Anyone who says that Xanax or ANY benzo is a better choice for, "anxiety" than Zofran has either never been addicted to it or never tried to stop taking it. To say that tapering and I believe the phrase was, "doctor's supervision" made it okay to quit is ridiculous. It is horrible. It doesn't matter what drug you take to, "relax", they will become a crutch. If you take Pepto Bismal or Alka Seltzer or Emetrol ... they are all a crutch. They all also have side effects. Zofran is a crutch, but at least it is not a controlled substance. You don't see people out on street corners selling it to get high. To anyone that has it on hand and it gives them some peace versus the horrible fear of feeling terrified of becoming ill ... I say more power to you. I support you and congratulate you in doing what works best for you in your efforts to deal with emetophobia! I pass no judgement on your decisions. If you have a choice and a doctor wants to prescribe Xanax? Run in the opposite direction.
    Kimberly Michelle~
    "You cannot find peace by avoiding life." ~ Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by DUHmanda View Post
    In all of my research on Zofran, I have read only a handful of cases where a person has became ill, or had a new illness, while taking Zofran. It could not be linked to Zofran, though, because the person (the main person) was on chemo and was very sick. This person developed pancreatitis. I would really like to see your research on physical dependence (not mental dependence, anyone can become mentally dependent on ANYTHING - reality TV, chocolate, etc.) and Zofran.

I am a very cautious person when it comes to drugs. When I was prescribed Xanax, I was at my wit's end, though. My body was literally deteriorating before my eyes. Xanax helped numb me long enough to get through a workday (my emet got incredibly severe when I was working a temp job at a call center) and that was it. I was down to 100lbs (at almost 5'7") and refused/could not eat. I was driving to work and hour and a half each way (I have a family, and I was desperate for a job, and this was the only one I can land at the time... I had just grad. with my AA degree and was transferring to the school I am graduating from in May, go me!). I had to pay bills. I had no idea how detrimental it would be to my mental (and thus, physical) health.

Psychs want to shove every pill under the sun into you. See, I was familiar with SSRIs, I was given them when I was a kid and first started experiencing anxiety related to my emet. I was given Prozac. My mom stopped giving it to me after a few weeks due because I became a different person. I was sluggish, zombie-like, etc. I was way too young to be on a SSRI. However, I remember that feeling quite well, thus I stayed away from SSRIs. I was unfamiliar with benzos when I saw my first psych & therapist as an adult (who prescribed them to me). I never asked for them. However, once I got home and researched them I thought, "Hey, I will just take these as needed while I am working and stop them before I go to UNC, so I won't become addicted!" Because the first thing I noticed was nausea/vomiting was not a well-known side effect. So, I took them. They made me feel slightly human again. However, that feeling goes away quite quickly. You build tolerance to it the more you take it (I was originally on .25mg twice a day, and am now up to .5mg four times a day, in less than 2 years), and if you skip a dose, you notice it. However, some people don't start noticing withdrawal from benzos for a few days to a week. However, I have been on Zofran since I was a kid, some times I've had to do without, especially throughout my adult life (insurance being cancelled, etc.) and not once did I experience anything but anxiety knowing that if I felt sick or had GI issues, I had nothing to help me. This is even during what I consider the "golden years" of my emet, where I was really careless and stuff. I mean, I was definitely emet, but I think there are tiers/levels of severity. However, no withdrawal symptoms, nothing.

At this point, I do not think I will ever be off Xanax. I used to feel extreme guilt and shame, because I felt like a drug addict. Before two events occurred that dramatically increased the severity of my emet, I wouldn't take as much as an over the counter pain pill (seriously, had two surgeries and refused all pain meds, even OTC). Now, I am much more liberal with OTC pain meds. I take my Xanax as prescribed, but there are days when I take more. The one thing that I have gotten better with is my overdosing of Zofran. I now take it less than prescribed, but some days I feel sicker than my normal.

However, I was prescribed Zofran before I was even an emet. I have been on it since 11-12 years old, when I was diagnosed with gallstones and was extremely sick. After gallbladder removal, I started experiencing a ton of GI symptoms (that I still suffer with today) that NO kid should go through, which ramped up my emet.

I don't know why anyone is arguing the safety of an antiemetic in contrast to a benzo. But, I beg all emets out there, it may seem like temporary relief. It really may, but it is not worth it. I guess it is because of my own personal struggle, my research over the past year, my going through stages of feeling guilty, ashamed, etc. Then came acceptance. I wanted to bring more awareness to this issue. A lot of psychs have stopped prescribing benzos all together, because the dependency comes on fast, and the withdrawals can be fatal. For what it's worth to anyone, it is considered worse than opiate withdrawal (opiates encompass all sorts of stuff including narcotics and meth), if that tells you anything.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...might-kill-you

Anyway, I know I am not the only one who feels this way about benzos. No, it hasn't ruined my life. No, I do not get "high" from it. But I regret it. Because I know that it can take 6+ months to successfully withdrawal from a benzo. I know I will have to do a strict taper regimen to lower my risk of side effects and seizure (and even with tapering, you STILL have withdrawal side effects). I know that although people don't like to admit it, if you use a controlled substance on a regular basis, you are considered addicted (and a drug abuser). Why? Because, most controlled substances are not meant to be taken long-term. If you take it off-label (for example, Xanax is for 2-4 weeks, not to be taken on a regular schedule, etc.) then you are abusing the drug.

I really am not trying to be "right" or sit up tall on my high horse. This is truly out of concern. Ask any psych or physician what they'd rather you be on and every. single. one would say Zofran.

If you have any questions regarding benzos, benzo withdrawal, forums for people that use benzos on a regular basis, etc. Feel free to message me. I have found a ton of great resources. As of right now, my emet is too severe to handle the GI side effects that you must endure for benzo withdrawal (even with a taper), so there is no way for me to taper now. I hope I will make it there in the future.

Also, Kaydee, aren't you still afraid of seeing others vomit? If so, that's not cured from emet. Emet is broad and it involves a lot of aspects. Cured, to psychs, means that there is no residual effects from the illness you were suffering from. If you still have issues with vomit (and are still frequenting this board, even), then you are still actively suffering with emet. I am not trying to "down" your progress, because it is great, but it is not cured. I don't aim to be cured, because I honestly don't think one could ever be cured due to the fact that it's not ONLY an outside phobia, rather it's both external and internal. I aim to live a manageable life with my emet. Good luck on your journey, all of you.

Like I said earlier, I am here for any and everyone that wants to discuss emet, OCD, anxiety, benzos, other medications, etc.
    Thanks for trying to tell me that I'm not "cured"… but I assure you, I am. I work in a job where I see people vomit pretty regularly, and I'm still doing it, I'd call that cured. Sure, I don't love it, it makes me uncomfortable, but I don't panic anymore, I don't do anything to actively avoid it so yeah, in my book, that's pretty cured!

Reading back over this, I realise how snarky it sounded. I'm sorry for that. I get really quite offended when people question my recovery.