Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was just wondering how any out there who has v* fairly recently have handled it. Was it as bad as you thought. Did it feel natural. What was your experience?

I'm not sure what you consider recent. I was sick 2 years ago,
    and I'm not going to lie, it was horrible. But not just because
    I'm an emet. It would have been horrible for anyone. I must
    have gotten sick 7 times in just 3 hours! And I had bad d*
    too. But the one thing I did notice is that after the first time,
    I just kinda exepted that it was gonna happen again and again. So
    I stayed in the bathroom for those three hours, talking to my sister ,
    drinking ginger ale and water, and waiting for each time to come.
    You asked if it was as bad as I thought. And I can tell you that
    4 years ago when I got sick, it was NOT bad at all! I don't know
    why they were so different. I think one was food poisoning and
    one was a sv. Also, getting sick didn't make my emet worse or
    better. Just the same. Carrie

Carrie - which time do you think was the sv? The better or worse time?

The easier time. I only v* soda twice that night, and even ate
    some crackers before bed. It was not bad at all. I can even
    remember joking with my dad and giving him a thumbs up while I was
    doing the awful deed! But the other time, I think it was food
    poisoning because I have never felt that way from v* before. I
    had the worst stomach pains. And (not to sound gross) but
    the v* was very forceful, and never gave me much warning it was
    comming....hence spending 3 hours leaning against the bathtub on the
    bathroom floor. Carrie

i v* a few days ago. and to be honest, i hated every second of it and afterwards, would have preferred if i had died instead. but for me, alot of that was mental. i was sick because of a bad reaction to an anti-biotic and it brought me back to when i was a child, caring for my younger sister and almost lost her to the same reason so mayhap my story isnt the best example to go by

Hmm well I was sick about 3 years ago first time in like 10 years. That was the toughest, because it had been so long that I had forgotten what it was like, and I was REALLY sick, like prolly was sick about 20 times during the night or so, plus other end too. Ahem anyways yea I was wanting to die at first (before I started v*ing) because I knew it was prolly gonna happen and it was like the workup before hand. I personally think that THAT is the worst part, the before your sick with the worrying and fear and all that. Once I was sick I was like "wow thats it?" and yea it was gross and all, but I was ok and after that just kinda didnt care as much. Then the next year I was sick, not near as much tho, and that time I handled it surprisingly well. I of course didn't want to get sick and still panicked at first, but then once I resigned myself to it I was okay. The last time (last year) wasn't too bad either, I handled that well too. Its always the realizing something is really wrong with your stomach and then the ensuing panic/freakout/nausea that I think is the worst part. Once I get sick some, then its like ok yea that sucks but Im not gonna die and hey I feel even sorta a bit better after. I like to think of it as ok v* is v*, and you do it once, you've done it, its not like its some whole new thing everytime you do it, its the same act, so if you've done it once then you've lived through it and there it is. I guess thinking about it this way helps me get through too.

Last time for me was 3 years ago August, i contracted a tropical virus and i was constantly sick for 8 weeks, i lost over 40lbs and couldn't even keep water down at one point. I lived in constant terror those 8 weeks because i didn't know what was wrong with me and felt so ill, really felt i was going to die. I've always been an emet but that experience made me so terrified that over the last 18 months my emet got so bad (combination of Emet and PTSD) that i starved myself to the point of hospitalisation......so actually being sick did not help my emet at all, even though iwas sick so muchit didn't desensitize (sp) me to it.

The last time I *v* was about 3 years ago from strep throat. I *v* about 4-5 times within 2 hours but it was in the morning and I really had nothing on my stomach. After I got sick the first time I made an appointment with my doctor and went and got a shot of Phenergan which knocked me out the rest of the day, so I didn't *v* anymore. The last stomach virus I had was 4 years ago and that was the first time I had ever experienced *v* and *d* at the same time. As bad as it was, I was going about 3 hours between times *v*, so I did feel some better in between, but then all of a sudden the nausea would hit and it would happen again. I think that time I *v* 3 times before I went to the doctor to get a shot. For me, after it happens, I'm OK--it's a few months later when my emet starts kicking in again and I start being scared.

Jess

Where did you contract the tropical virus?

last time i v* with a sv i was 10years old and it was really violent v* and d*,im 32 now!!! ive v* once since then when i was 15 cos i was a naughty girl and drank loads of lager!!!!! ugggghhh,it was disgusting.i cant remember being scared at the time but now id rather die than have to go through that

hmm well last year was a major year for me. basically i drank too much one night and sicked up a load of red wine. pretty mingin but i didnt have a clue at the time - was so drunk - and i was onyl sick 2 coz it was just alcohol sick.

then in may last year i (again drank too much) was sick 7 times on the way to work - that was awful and really upset me - but i think it was sooo much better coz a) i knew EXACTLY WHY i was being sick and b) it was my own fault.

i think the feelings of not being in contrl play a major part with me since i KNEW why i v*ed and it made me come to terms with it better and look at the experiences as positive. and it really wasnt that bad at the time - i immediately remember thinking - WOW!!! bloody hell - after 10 years! ive done it!! WOHOOO!

BUT - last DEC (now i wasnt sick) but i retched twice and had very bad d*. i still dont know of it was an sv or coz that day was the first day i decide to lower my effexor med doseage...its the not knowing WHY that does my head in...not being able to be in complete control arghh! [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

ems x

Thanks for sharing your experiences guys. I know it must be hard to maybe write about it and think about it again. I would share mine, but I was on so much xanax and phenegran that I barely remember. I got a stomach virus about 3 yrs ago in Dec. I had d*, aches, fever, and went to do the deed(I think I was almost making myself think I had to v*) and I gagged and I tiny bit of stuff came up. Like the size of a spit wad. I was crying, super scared, but all weirded out cuase the drugs. The rest of the time I had a bad fever, and d* realy bad. I guess I felt safe after a while and figured I wouldnt v* again cuase enough time had passed were I didnt. I just felt realy achy flu-like. But that is the last I remember since I was 8 or so. Thats a whole other story. I was realy suprised I got a s. bug cuase I was 8 since the last time. I am 26 now. I think for me the worst is being exposed and waiting to come down with it. My boyfriend at the time gave it to me 3yrs ago. Like 24 hrs after he had it, I got it. We lived together and slept in the same bed the night he caught it. I woke up to him v* and that was probably the worst part of the whole experience. Just knowing, Oh s*** here we go. Sorry this was so long!