Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Downton Abbey?!?!?

Like probably many emetophobes, I experience a lot of distress when a movie or TV show I really want to see might have v* in it! I wouldn't have expected it to be in Downton Abbey on my own, but I had a friend mention that it was in season 2 at some point! So I watched season 1, got hooked (not surprisingly), and am now holding off on starting season 2 due to the worry. I keep trying to work out in my mind what to do. I asked my friend, but she forgot where it was. Anyone have any idea where there may be v* in season 2 of Downton Abbey? And any advance warning of seasons 3 and 4 would be appreciated also.

Default Re: Downton Abbey?!?!?

I can confirm that there is an incidence of V in Season 2. I don't want to spoil any plot points for you, but let's just say that you will probably know when it's approaching. It's not out of the blue. It's during a rather intense scene involving a serious life-threatening illness.

Curiosity getting the better of me, I looked it up. It's in Episode #8 of Season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigatron View Post
    Curiosity getting the better of me, I looked it up. It's in Episode #8 of Season 2.
    Thank you SO MUCH! I would have hated to watch the whole season with this anxiety hanging over me the whole time. Likely would've ruined it anyway.

Oh yes! I am hooked now too! Just started the first season!

Now that you know when it happens, I do suggest you try watch it. As I shall too
    While it's going to be really hard and triggering, it's just watching it on TV. It's a good way to start the process.

Now I'm not suggesting to just go watch it straight out, maybe work up to it? Start doing a little CBT. I've just started doing some, and it's helping lots
    Please visit my progress blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wanting to help others. Please spread the word!

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    "To thine self be true, then it must follow, as the night the day, that thou canst not then be false to any man."
    "The empty vessel makes the loudest sound."
    - William Shakespeare

The v* scene really didn't bother me at all - and i am someone who plugs ears/closes eyes - runs out - of most v scenes. it's very revealing in terms of character for one of the people. if you miss it, not a huge deal though...

I've seen the episode. A very mild v scene. I didn't find it to be very triggering. You do not see the v, she turns her head into a bowl and makes a mild sound of it.

Somehow for me, when it comes to TV and films and v* it helps me a lot to remember that they are just acting, not really doing it. I actually watched a documentary once on behind the scenes and how they do certain things and portraying a scene where someone has to v* so it can be seen was one of them. Actually if you see how they do it, it really does help sort of ruin the realistic look and sound of it on screen. Especially when you realize that sometimes they have do that multiple times and it's actually kind of stupid and ridiculous to have to play the scene over and over. Next time you are watching something and an unexpected v* scene pops up, just tell yourself over and over, it's just pretend and it's really not happening.