Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy how long will you fight it?

It's been years, and i remember having the sv. I fought the nausea for 6 hours! I FINALLY v'd, and felt so much better. By then the phenergan took effect and i went to sleep. I don't know why I'm even thinking about this right now other than i am still in the waiting period. For a week i have had a co worker out every 2 days...me and my boss are the last 2 to not be sick yet. Im at the edge of my seat! !!!!

Default Re: how long will you fight it?

I had an sv* last night, and fought it for six hours too and then just gave up. Try to relax, just remember your hygiene steps and you should be okay. Stay away from the infected and load up on vitamins.

The last time I was nauseated, at the turn of the century, I fought the nausea for at least 12 hours before I felt safe enough to go to bed. I woke up fine. Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

As long as I can to to avoid IT from happening.
    Almost 5 years ago I had some kind of SV, at least that's what I think it was but no one else caught it so who knows. Anyways, I was on the verge of doing IT for at least 6 hours before that horrible feeling finally subsided enough to where I could sleep. I still felt lousy the rest of the day and for the next couple but thankfully I made it through somehow without IT happening.
    I never want to go through that again-I think about that night all the time and it still terrifies me
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

Last time I had a sv* that accompanied v* (15 years old), I fought the nausea for 6 hours before it finally defeated me. Those 6 hours were brutal (midnight - 6 am). I only v* once, heaved an hour later, then passed out on the couch for the whole day/night. Woke up fine the next day! This happened over the summer I spent in Florida with my grandparents as a teen. After that, the place never felt the same again. Tainted. :-(
    Last edited by Goingmonkeys; 03-10-2014 at 11:26 AM.

When I had an sv* I fought it for like 4-6 hours (the time line is a little blurry) before I couldn't fight it anymore.

Also, Goingmonkeys, I added your fb!
    M I D N I G H T

Great! I accepted request! ^_^

I believe the last time I felt nauseated from fp that I fought it for about 6 hours. I finally gave up and figured that the next time the urge hit, that I would just let it happen and get it over with. I ended up dry heaving about 4 or 5 times. The urge to v didn't hit again but I still felt horrible. I ended up going to the ER. They gave me a shot of something that knocked me out and stopped my stomach cramps. That med was heaven!

Hey Jilly...I just sent you a FB request. Nice to have some other emets around on FB!

Awesome! Accepted! :-)

Last time I had SV I don't know if you would say that I 'fought' it off the entire time but I didn't V and I stayed in bed almost the entire time and slept most of the time. I almost V when I was getting out of a bathtub though. I didn't fight it though, the urge just subsided. I don't know if I would fight it or not. Not only because of the dangers of holding it back but also, I'd rather have some type of relief.

I try NOT to fight it anymore. When i woke up n* in the fall, I just took deep breaths and repeated to myself that I'm a grown ass adult and it'll be over in a few minutes. . . etc. I only DH'ed though. It's really hard for me not to swallow too when the urge gets close, because that's how I fought it for so long and now it's a reflex. It's been over 20 years at this point, with many 6 or so eps of DHs in that time.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

I was in the same situation the past few weeks. Everyone around me got the SV. I waited and waited for my turn to come. It hasn't happened yet. It's been almost 3 weeks since the last case so I have been a little less anxious about it thinking I'm in the clear. But I still think about it on a daily basis.

A few weeks ago, I only fought off the nausea for about 30 minutes before I unwillingly gave up haha. As another noted, you're fine as long as you continue to practice your hygiene.

The last time I was N due to a SV, in 2010, I fought it---successfully---for well over 24 hours. It was PURE MISERY. These waves of intense N would hit, but because I haven't V since childhood (a long time ago!), I didn't have any sense of knowing when "it" was really going to happen, and when to make a move toward the toilet. It was basically a 24-hour-long panic attack. I'd get up, in disbelief, and stagger toward the bathroom, but nothing ever happened. At one point I dry heaved in the middle of the living room but that was as close as I got. At one point, I was looking at the toilet bowl thinking, this can't be happening! V is NOT about to seriously come out of my mouth and into this toilet that I have to see and use for other purposes on a daily basis...! Pure panic. It was like being in a bad dream.

Last time I had an SV* was when I was 13. I was walking around praying I would not get sick, but I did. I felt sick around 12 and lost it around 4. I think I did again when I was sleeping but I don't remember. I had d* for a day or two then I was all better. Caught it from my little brother when he was 3 years old. I had another SV* a week ago. I didn't catch it. Hopefully I won't. They pretty much suck. I already deal with nausea on a monthly basis anyway.