Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

For the emet moms- so whats the deal with "morning sickness"? Who has V*ed, who hasn't? I may be pregnant, and I'm scared. Please respond... thanks!

-Lauralye
    \"You Were Never Anything Less Than Beautiul...\" -Jewel

My first pregnancy there was nausea and I almost vomited, with the second didn't feel nauseaand no vomiting

I had morning sicknesswith both my pregnancies, but never actually v*. Just constant nausea for about 4 weeks. Some days it was much worse than others. It was definetely a different kind of nausea than you get with a stomach virus and for me more tolerable because I knew the cause of it and I knew how good I was at holding back the need to be sick. Edited by: carlie

I had no nausea with both my pregnancies, but I had some pretty bad heartburn!! Not everyone gets mornign sickness, though. If you do it's the first 3 months or so. Usualyy in the mornings, and then goes away. Everyone is different, and I can't see it a good reason not to have children.

I can relate to your worries. I would really love children in the near future but am so scared. My Mum v*ed all day for 9 months through both her pregnancies and I am so worried that I will be the same even though she is much more prone to V*ing than me.
    Today is the tomorrow I dreaded yesterday and I\'m ok.

During my first pregnancy, I had no nausea or vomiting. During my second and third pregnancies, I had nausea, but no vomiting. This may sound weird, but the nausea I had was tolerable, its not the same kind of sick feeling you get when you have a stomach virus, or other gatro illness. The only time I vomited during a pregnancy, was when my son had a virus during my last pregnancy. I felt really bad for a few hours, had one episode of vomiting, and then I was fine. The heartburn I had in my last few months of pregnancy was worse than any nausea I had in the beginning.

I have one child. My morning sickness started at about the 8th week of pregnancy and lasted about a month. I never v*, but I did have nausea. It only lasted until like noon. Interestingly, all of my other tummy problems disapeared during my pregnancy and I felt wonderful.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I loved being pregnant it was so heart warming. The kicks and movements is such an overwhelming feeling, it is so hard to describe.

I've always been kind of nervous about the kicks and movements - it doesn't feel weird/make you n*?

No, the kicks and movements are heart warming, like ontariogirl said. The dont make you feel nauseous or anything. I really loved being pregnant. Well, maybe not in the last few weeks when I was HUGE and couldnt sleep, but over all it was a wonderful experience.

shiva .......... what kind of tummy problems have you had?

Edited by: jennyleigh1975

Jennyleigh1975,

Before I got pregnant, I couldn't eat anything or I would get this terrible feeling in my stomach. Anytime I had food in me I felt disgusting. I went through a series of tests that confirmed I had a hiatal hernia and acid reflux. I was really concerned with how I would feel once the baby started to grow and crowd my stomach, but all of those kind of symptoms went away. I didn't even get the usual heartburn toward the end that I kept preparing myself for. I felt the healthiest that I had ever felt while I was pregnant!

I miss it! I have actually thought about being a surrogate for someone since so many people cannot become pregnant. Then recently my doctor found fibroid tumors in my uterus and urged me to stay on birth control, saying that if I stopped taking the hormones that I would be in a lot of pain and the tumors (that are now golf ball size) could grow. When I asked about pregnancy, he said no problem, but that kinda contradicted what he told me about staying on birth control (since some women take a year or two to become pregnant after being on the pill) Plus, I had heard of some women becoming pregnant while having fibroids and the tumors actually fought the fetus for space, causing the babies to be born with abnormalities. (sad stuff) So, I am now engaged and don't even know what I will end up doing about having a child later in life. I definitely want to become pregnant again sometime in life. It's amazing.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I work with a girl that has a fibroid and is currently 33 weeks pregnant. It did grow, Ithink in about her 4th month, but eventually the blood supply to the fibroid got cut off so it stopped growning. SHe said it is about the size of a grapefruit, but in way is harming the baby. She did say it was really painful during that month it grew, though!

shiva, have you thought about having one of those fibroid embolizations done? I think my cousins wife had one done a few months ago. Maybe then when you are married, you would be able to have another baby without worrying about the fibroid growing.

I had read up on some of that. I know that there are things that can be done, I guess I just have a lot of mistrust in the medical field these days. But, yes.. the embolization is something that I thought seemed a posibility. Thanks both of you for your concern.

It's just, I was so young when I had my baby. I would like to experience what it's like to work to get pregnant and live my days unworried, knowing that having a baby is going to be okay. When I was pregnant with Jade, although I felt great, I think I was too worried about everything else to just enjoy being pregnant. I would definitely look at it differently if it were a planned pregnancy. I definitely want to experience that

But, yes! This emet makes me nervous! I finally have Jade trained to know how to get to the potwhen she feels unwell... To go through all of that all over again at this point in time without a doubt seems exhausting.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Dear Lauralye,

I have had four pregnancies with two living children. I
    experienced morning sickness but did not v***. All four
    pregnancies were equally nauseating. It began around the fifth
    week and lasted until week 13 (except for one pregnancy that ended at 6
    and a half weeks). The nausea was unrelenting, morning,
    noon and night. Some days were unbearable and others were
    tolerable. Despite the yuckiness, there are tons of things you
    can do. First, they make drugs that lower the nausea level.
    One is called Zofran. I highly recommend it. I took it
    three years ago with my last and final pregnancy. You take one
    every 12 hours and it works wonders. You may still feel out of
    sorts, but the debilitating sickness will abate. It is expensive,
    about $35 per pill, but it is worth. Your insurance may pay for
    it. Ours did not.

There are also seabands. I found them extremely helpful.
    Even with taking the Zofran, I needed the bands. Those are worn
    on your wrists. I wore them every minute of every day except for
    taking a shower.

I also found that an empty stomach made me feel worse. Keeping
    food on your stomach is usually very helpful. Pregnancy nausea is
    not like sv nausea. It is better in some ways and worse in
    others. Better because you CAN eat. You can be so nauseaus
    and starving at the same time. I would be nauseaus as I was
    shoveling in the food. Pregnancy sickness is worse because of its
    staying power - it can last for weeks. Knowing that you will be
    nauseaus for seven or eight weeks is pretty tough when you don't think
    you can take another minute. But, again, as I said, there are so
    many things you can do to limit the nausea.

In the end, it is so worth it. Kids are great.

Stella

through the whole nine months of my pregnancy i only felt slightly sick about two or three times and i never v* once.dont let this phobia put you off ever having children it is such a gift!

I have a 2 year old boy and at the moment seven months pregnant i didn't suffer sickness with my first but this pregnancy has been hell i suffered nausea from day 1 and still getting it nowthere has been a few times where iv beenvery close to v*

Currently, I take Luvox for my phobia, which has been diagnosed as being part of OCD. I am getting married in Sept, and will be preparing for a baby in the 5 years following. My concern is the anxiety I feel without my meds. I become anxious and obsessed with the possibility of vomiting. Does anyone have experience with taking SSRI's while pregnant? Or, what about tx for the anxiety I may feel?

Durring both my pregnancies I was worried that I would have morning sickness because I always felt blech, but with both pregnancies I just had heartburn.

What about taking meds during pregnancy? Can you take anything for nausea w/out harming the baby?

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I'm very relieved not to be
    alone in my crazy phobia. I just found out I'm pregnant one week ago
    and I'm really scared of nausea and v*. My fear is compounded in public
    (fear of v* in front of others) so the fact that I have a lot of
    work-related travel during my first trimester has got me really
    worried. What'll I do if I have to catch a train when I'm feeling sick?
    When nausea hits me, I want to be alone and lying down to deal with it,
    not in a foreign city running for a train.

My doctor prescribed me metopimazine (called Vogalene here in France)
    which seems to work pretty well, but I don't know how much effect it
    will have if real morning sickness kicks in. My mother had morning
    sickness when pregnant with me. She said she'd wake up hungry, eat
    breakfast, and then it would all come back up. The horror!

Don't worry Alleycat, My mom had severe morning sickness everytime she was pregnant but Idid'nt. With my first, I wasjustreally tiredandwith mysecond, I had a queesy tummy but it was not bad at all!In fact I LOVED food when I was pregnant with her!