Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Flying in 2 days and scared

Hi All,
    New here, have been an emet sufferer for as long as I can remember. Flying has always been particularly hard (which is a shame because Iove it) because it's always in the back of my mind that people can be sick and I've got no means of escape. I've been on flights loads of times before but never had any major issues until two weeks ago when I saw the flight attendant running to get a sick bag for a guy a few rows ahead. Even though he was quite far away, my heart just stopped and for the whole flight I could barely think about anything else! This was only a 50 minute flight but I'm flying to Korea for work in two days and that's a ten hour flight! I'm just really scared I'll see someone be sick. I know it's not likely but it's not impossible! My doctor was useless and didn't take me seriously at all. He prescribed me diazepam but I did a test run and it doesn't work have tried nytol and kalms to see if they'd make me sleep the whole flight but they don't work either! I hate this phobia, makes me feel like such a freak and the fear I feel when I'm near someone who could be sick is just sheer and pure terror. I haven't been sick in over 10 years so my phobia is more about others vomiting. Can anyone give me any tips for this flight? Really need some help. Friends have suggested I tell the flight attendants about my phobia when i board so they may be able to move me to a less populated area of the plane or smtg? Anyone tried this? Or know any other remedies that will help me sleep the entire flight? It's such a shame because I love flying and if I were the only one on a plane or surrounded by people I KNEW wouldn't be sick, I'd be in heaven! Thanks for listening x

Default Re: Flying in 2 days and scared

How long is your flight?
    Anyways, I think you'll be ok. I went on a plane for the first time in my life last October. I was really scared at first, my heart was racing and I was shaking! I was so scared I would get airsick. But guess what? I did not get sick. And nobody else on the flight was sick. It was funny - the flight attendant was like "This is the quietest flight I've ever been on!" haha. Then the second time I flew, a week later, again, I was scared. But again, I was fine and nobody else got sick. It was actually fun and I'd LOVE to fly again!! They say that in the car the front is the best part if you have motion sickness problems... Maybe its the same on planes. ask if they can seat you in the very front or near the front? Plus if you're in the very front seat you get more leg room haha. Have a safe trip!
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥

I also enjoy traveling but I HATE flying with a passion. I have a couple of things that might make you feel better.

First, my step mom is a flight attendant. She is well aware of my phobia. She told me that the airsick bags that are provided in each of the pockets aren't just regular bags. They actually have something in them that (I'm sorry if this is triggering or gross) 'gels' the fluid that goes into the bag. That way it doesn't smell or spill out. I've never been airsick or had to use one of the bags, so I don't know how true this is but if it's correct, at least you know the persons V isn't going anywhere haha! She very well could have told me this to get me onto a plane though, so I don't know =)

You can also take a blanket with you and an iPod or your phone. I've seen lots of people go to sleep with their head under a blanket on planes, so if you put your head under the blanket and pretend to sleep with your music in, you wont even notice if someone doesn't feel well.

And last, when I went whale watching, I was really afraid of getting seasick so I took a Dramamine. It was bad idea because I actually fell asleep on the boat and missed the whole thing, haha! It knocked me out! Maybe you can take one of those and take a little nap.
    Last edited by KimberlyP; 03-18-2014 at 02:26 AM.

It might help to know that less than 1% of passengers on flights get sick, so the chances of anyone getting sick on the flight are pretty small (to say the least). If worst comes to worst, you can try counting backwards from 100 in your head. That's something I used to do (and still do on occasion) in uncomfortable/stressful situations and it worked every time.

I agree about trying to sit as close to the front as possible. You can get off the plane faster!

I hope you had a good flight!! I'm currently traveling so far and have flown 6 times so far, as far as South Africa from California. I still have two more flights to go and I have not seen anyone sick or have felt sick. Take something for the motion sickness to make you comfortable. Otherwise, flying is very cool and I'm enjoying it a lot more now. Have a great trip!!!