Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: What is your blood type and have you had noro?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • My blood type is A and I think I've had noro

5 15.15%
  • My blood type is A and I don't think I've had noro

3 9.09%
  • My blood type is B and I think I've had noro

1 3.03%
  • My blood type is B and I don't think I've had noro

2 6.06%
  • My blood type is AB and I think I've had noro

1 3.03%
  • My blood type is AB and I don't think I've had noro

1 3.03%
  • My blood type is O and I think I've had noro

9 27.27%
  • My blood type is O and I don't think I've had noro

5 15.15%
  • I don't know my blood type and I think I've had noro

4 12.12%
  • I don't know my blood type and I don't think I've had noro

2 6.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Poll about noro and your blood type

Let's discuss the connection between noro and blood type after submitting our reports.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Poll about noro and your blood type

I'm type O and am assuming I've had noro at some point in my life
    It's been a while since the dreaded IT-I was a kid. I'm guessing noro but I don't recall if I had d either time. I do know that each time it was a 'one and done'
    Not sure how helpful this is!
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

I'm skeptical that there is any connection at all, to be honest... but eh.
    Come visit my history blog:

Either way, KDJd, we should know.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

My answer will definitely change. I had to put I don't know my blood type and I've had noro," but it's been my goal for like a month now to figure out my friggin' blood type!

I'm type O neg. Never had Noro and have only ever had a SV twice in my life.

I'm pretty sure I've had noro, but I'm not sure what my blood type is. I do plan on finding out though. KaydeeJayde, there is scientific evidence that it makes a difference, but it's not 100% straightforward, and it's kind of one of those things that's not worth getting too worked up about cause you've got what you've got...just have to work with it. There is a home blood typing kit...pretty cheap too, not sure if they're very painful or very difficult to use. I should get one and try it and report back for the rest and then give Doug a real answer.

I'm type AB+ and have only had one TRUE sv* (as in, I caught it from someone). Doubt it was noro.

There was some research that pointed out to a partial protection for non-secretors of some protein I don't remember. The "advantage" was slim, but still present, in the early research. It doesn't confer immunity but it does reduce the chances of catching it. Which is better than nothing.

I thought if you had a stomach virus chances are it was norovirus (unless you're a little kid)? Some people are saying they've had stomach viruses, but not noro...how do you know it wasn't norovirus?

I have O+ blood and I marked that I don't think I've had Noro. I've had a lot of stomach viruses but I've never had one where I was V every 30 mins (other than an episode I think was food poisening) and where it was coming out of both ends uncontrollably. Now I'm reading that the symptoms of Noro can be rather mild. So I have no idea whether or not I've had actual Noro or if it was something else.

The thing is that I think that you're going to find someone from every single blood group who's had noro at some point in their life... so how useful this whole blood type information thing is to emets is questionable at least. Even if you're in the blood group that doesn't seem to get it as much, there's still that potential to get it. No blood group makes you immune to it.
    Come visit my history blog:

I'm A+ and I've had it.

I'm O and assume I've had Noro. Though as mentioned above, I've only ever v*ed 1-2x with them and never have had a fever. I also only got sick as a child never as a teen or young adult.

Quote Originally Posted by 4077girl View Post
    I thought if you had a stomach virus chances are it was norovirus (unless you're a little kid)? Some people are saying they've had stomach viruses, but not noro...how do you know it wasn't norovirus?
    I was under impression that noro caused v and d, and that it was sudden. Both svs I had were gradual (n over hours) then only v small amount once and the again with the 2nd virus, only once. No d either time. I could well be wrong, maybe it was Noro...

Quote Originally Posted by Mamafear View Post
    I was under impression that noro caused v and d, and that it was sudden. Both svs I had were gradual (n over hours) then only v small amount once and the again with the 2nd virus, only once. No d either time. I could well be wrong, maybe it was Noro...
    Mine was the same! Woke up with an uneasy feeling and a weird non-painful gnawing feeling in my stomach; nothing to worry about at all to the point I went to school. Gradually, over hours, became one of the worst bugs I have ever had. I didn't V but came close and no D.

Er, I thought all gastroenteritis cases were classified as "norovirus" now? Like, your run-of-the-mill stomach flu isn't noro? I had one case of a stomach bug where the nausea started about 1/2 hour before the throwing up started, and it lasted about 5 hours (still felt terrible for 24 hrs though), and another time I woke up and *immediately* felt sick, threw up and had horrible diarrhea, but that was over in like, one or two hours. Felt fine when I woke up the following morning. These couldn't have both been noro? I'm so confused. xD

Yeah, it does seem like it can vary so much! Last time I was sick and my fiancé was sick at the same time. So it was almost definitely something we ate, but not sure if it was noro infected worker or legit food poisoning. It came on suddenly for both of us, and he threw up all night and into the next day, I dry heaves all night and into the next day and no diarrhea (had one slightly soft bm that smelled horrid near the beginning, but I wouldn't have thought anything of it if I hadn't already been sick). He had no diarrhea at all. No stomach pain or even discomfort, really. I had a low grade fever after the dry heaves stopped and body aches like the flu, but during the earlier part I honestly didn't even feel THAT bad in between episodes of heaving.

Time before when my whole family got sick one by one (so definitely something contagious) I was sick through the night with awful stomach pain and several episodes of dry heaves, again, no diarrhea.
    Last edited by 4077girl; 04-23-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Agreed-I was using noro as a 'catch all' for any type of contagious gastro bug. Hate to sound stupid, but I thought all SVs were under the noro umbrella
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

I have type O and I've had noro. However, I get it much more mildly than others. My mom does as well.

Oh and my symptoms are almost always the same. I start with stomach cramps, then d starts (pure water) a couple of hours later. That goes on for about 7 or 8 hours and then stops suddenly and I run a fever and am achy. Usually no v'ing for me.

I'm type B+ and I'm immune to norovirus. I know I'm immune because I got my DNA sequenced and analyzed at 23andme. They measure immunity based on the presence of the 'AA' genotype at gene FUT2. It's been well documented that this specific genotype ('non-secretor' status) leads to full immunity from all of the common noroviruses. Here's some more info from 23andme's website:

The FUT2 gene encodes an enzyme that modifies certain cell surface molecules so they can be expressed on cells or released into bodily fluids. If neither copy of the FUT2 gene is functional, a person will not produce these molecules on their digestive tract cells or in their bodily secretions –hence the term “non-secretor”.

Some people, who are “non-secretors”, lack the molecules noroviruses use to enter digestive tract cells.

I've done further research on this subject that says a few of the rare strains of norovirus are able to enter the cells even in non-secretors.

I had it..If im perfectly honest we make it out to be much worse than it is! Yes you do v* a lot with it but as far as I remember I would v* and get on with being on club penguin! Much simpler time back then ahahh
    May your dreams be bigger than your fears

Quote Originally Posted by christineb View Post
    I'm type B+ and I'm immune to norovirus. I know I'm immune because I got my DNA sequenced and analyzed at 23andme. They measure immunity based on the presence of the 'AA' genotype at gene FUT2. It's been well documented that this specific genotype ('non-secretor' status) leads to full immunity from all of the common noroviruses. Here's some more info from 23andme's website:

The FUT2 gene encodes an enzyme that modifies certain cell surface molecules so they can be expressed on cells or released into bodily fluids. If neither copy of the FUT2 gene is functional, a person will not produce these molecules on their digestive tract cells or in their bodily secretions –hence the term “non-secretor”.

Some people, who are “non-secretors”, lack the molecules noroviruses use to enter digestive tract cells.

I've done further research on this subject that says a few of the rare strains of norovirus are able to enter the cells even in non-secretors.

Just curious. He much did it cost to get tested?

Yeah, it does seem like it can vary so much! Last time I was sick and my fiancé was sick at the same time. So it was almost definitely something we ate, but not sure if it was noro infected worker or legit food poisoning. It came on suddenly for both of us, and he threw up all night and into the next day, I dry heaves all night and into the next day and no diarrhea (had one slightly soft bm that smelled horrid near the beginning, but I wouldn't have thought anything of it if I hadn't already been sick). He had no diarrhea at all. No stomach pain or even discomfort, really. I had a low grade fever after the dry heaves stopped and body aches like the flu, but during the earlier part I honestly didn't even feel THAT bad in between episodes of heaving.

Time before when my whole family got sick one by one (so definitely something contagious) I was sick through the night with awful stomach pain and several episodes of dry heaves, again, no diarrhea.
    God, 4077, while I obviously hate throwing up, I feel like only dry-heaving for such a long period of time would be absolutely awful. I think I would honestly rather have a one-and-done vomit than go through that - major props to you.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyP View Post
    You can buy the kit for $99. Because of an FDA ruling, they can't offer the health results anymore, but they will give you the raw genetic data, which you can use to look up your genotype for the FUT2 gene. If you have genotype 'AA' at marker rs601338, that means you're resistant. Hope that helps! If you go ahead with it, make sure you're (mentally) prepared for whatever result you may get...

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyP View Post
    Reposting my reply since I used a link and it needs moderator approval (and I've yet to see a post end up getting approved?).

It cost $99. 23andme can no longer offer the health related analysis per the FDA. They still give out raw genetic data. To know if you're resistant, search the raw genetic data for marker rs601338. The genotype 'AA' at that marker corresponds to norovirus resistance. Hope that helps!

My husband is also O and only remembers getting sick once as a child. My parents are also O + and neither of them has v*ed in over 20 years (and they aren't emetophobic, in fact it grosses me out how RARELY they wash their hands! )

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore10 View Post
    Agreed-I was using noro as a 'catch all' for any type of contagious gastro bug. Hate to sound stupid, but I thought all SVs were under the noro umbrella
    No, not all stomach bugs are norovirus. There are other types of stomach viruses such as astrovirus, sapoviruses and adenoviruses. Norovirus tends to produce the most intense symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea and is also the most contagious.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

From what I've read (noro is a big thing in the media in the uk every winter) noro makes you feel like death and sorry to be so graphic but the vomiting is uncontrollable, you ache from head to toe and have a temperature and headache. There are hundreds of different strains of stomach viruses out there but GI 4 Sydney strain is supposed to be the worst, it was very bad in the uk winter 2012/2013 but I think the media hyped it up a bit more than was necessary.