Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Help???

Unhappy Help???

This is my first time posting here So I'm kinda shy. But anyway, this may sound really gross and stupid, but I suffer with tonsil stones, and whenever I eat or cough or feel it in the back of my throat, it's horrible. I'm worried if they can cause v* and stuff...I heard it can make you...gag but only if you try to get them out in a certain way by using a toothbrush or finger..I NEED to get it out! It's driving me crazy, but I don't want to stick a foreign object in my mouth! My mother is worried about me, because she noticed that I've stopped eating much, and I don't want to cause her any more stress.

Default Re: Help???

Hi, I have them too...sooo annoying. I have a long handled tweezer that I use. I'm very careful when I do it, and the worst that's happened is I will touch something back there and cough like it's a bad tickle in your throat. Not so much like the gagging feeling... Sometimes you can reach them and sometimes not. It's okay to go after them, just sterilize your tweezer or whatever with alcohol. Good luck!!

I've had them before too. Just take a few deep breaths beforehand and concentrate only on getting them out. If it makes you cough, just stop, take a few deep breaths and try again. Using a sore throat numbing gargle before removing the stones may help too.

I've had tonsil stones since I could remember! I've never gagged or got sick from them though. I have, however, accidentally swallowed a few and I'm surprised I didn't throw up from the disgusting taste. But I digress. What I do is I gargle with some warm salt water for a few minutes and use a qtip to gently push them from my tonsils then I spit them out. They say good dental hygiene gets rid of tonsil stones but I take really good care of my mouth and I still get the buggers. The salt water really helps though. Give it a try. If you're worried about gagging when removing the stones, hold your thumb with your other fingers (picture below) and that may help.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...xen46ibjpg.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Let's freak out together. My Skype is always available to those who need someone to talk to! My username is SnugglePuff78.

ughhhh I used to battle with tonsil stones forever! such nasty little things....mine used to scratch the sides of my tonsils, which would make them hurt and cause my glands under my chin to swell. I tried picking them out with a Qtip a few times but I found that it would usually just push them in farther. This was an ongoing situation that was not getting any better.

a year ago I decided to opt to have my tonsils out. This was an extreme decision to end the tonsil stone war. For the 3 weeks following surgery I was bed bound and in sooooooo much pain. I totally regretted doing it. A year later, I have to say, it was the best thing I ever did. No more swollen, sore, inflamed tonsils. No more dealing with those horrid little rocks. No more death breath

anyways, its an option but not one to consider lightly. Probably the worst 3 weeks of my life ( I lost 9 lbs in 12 days and looked pretty rough) but I`m soooo glad I did it.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh