Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Am I the only one?

Hi everyone!
    So I've been in this forum for a while and I noticed most of you fear catching an illness which may make you vomit. And that's the last of my fears. I'm terrified by people vomiting near me for whatever reason, contagious or not; drunken vomit, motion sickness, pregnancy..I don't care, it scares the hell out of me, panic takes over and the only thing I can think about is I'm going to die. I can't even handle movies with vomit scenes on it, no matter how fake they are, I just can't.
    Does it make any sense? Does anyone else fear vomiting for the sake of it and not because of an illness?
    I was just wondering..
    Anyways, hope you guys are great and sorry in advance if my english is bad LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit me at
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Am I the only one?

Illness but the anxiety is the problem deep down so please don't look at the v* as the reason. The anxiety is the thing we have to reduce.

I dont care why people are vomiting. As long as it is vomit I dont want to be around it at all. Sv vomit scares me just as much as drunk vomit.

I don't like v at all, but my fear is more about transmittable illness. Some emets have a low threshhold for v at all - movies, etc, as you describe. Others can handle it in others but not themselves. Others are just scared of themselves getting sick. It is a huge spectrum. We don't judge, emet is emet.

I fear other people v'ing rather than v'ing myself. Having my daughters has made my life a whole lot harder! Now my main focus is that they may v. I obsess about it almost all the time every day! I am getting better with v scenes on tv, I am actually trying to do a bit of exposure therapy on myself by forcing myself to watch things with v in! And my daughters have given me a lot of unwanted exposure therapy lately too!

Am I the only one who finds it weird to fear others vomiting but not yourself?
    I know how you feel . . . and I am bigger than that. ―GOD

If its not contagious... im good. If its a SV. I go bat shit crazy. Excuse my swedish lol

I mesn i dont enjoy it otherwise but i can deal.

I'm the same way. I can't watch vomiting scenes in movies, I hate being around large groups of drunk people out of fear one could be sick, I avoid bathrooms in bars for the same reason, I just can't stand it at ALL. The other night I was watching So You Think You Can Dance and one guy vomited out of exhaustion and I didn't close my eyes and ears in time... sure enough, I was in full blown anxiety mode. I don't understand it either. I don't know why stuff like that scares me, it's not like I can catch anything and actually cause me to be sick. But somehow I talk myself into thinking there *could* be something wrong with me. I have actually talked myself into a fever in the past. I understand exactly what you're talking about!!

I'm only scared of myself being sick. And others if they have a sv and I could catch it. otherwise I am ok..well I'm also afraid if I watch someone being sick I'll get sick so I don't like watching it, but it's all about me being sick. This phobia sucks!
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

I wish I could be scared of just me or others being sick, but I'm scared of EVERYTHING that has to be with vomit. Sometimes I feel ridiculous when I'm on a public transport and I hear someone coughing I immediately assume they're gagging and they'll throw up so I have to cover my ears lol, people give me weird looks.

Visit me at

Read my new blog, you're not alone! http://myemetophobiajourney.wordpress.com/ Chlo x

I'm totally scared of other people being sick, and people seeing me be sick. I do freak out a bit if I get sick, but if I'm in my own home then it's not that bad. I avoid public transport in case people get sick, but my husband's a train driver and he's trying to get me using it (which is working, but I don't like it).

If it's fake sick in a film then I can cope but if it was a reality show it makes me feel ill just watching it and I turn away.

I am certain exposure therapy doesn't work for me, (four kids and more crazy than ever). I have always feared feared others more than myself until just recently when I found myself feeling very N* and became much more anxious than usual. I am anxious about all V but terrified of SVs.
    Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Facebook Donna Mutch

[QUOTE=Mamafear;521492]I am certain exposure therapy doesn't work for me, (four kids and more crazy than ever). I have always feared feared others more than myself until just recently when I found myself feeling very N* and became much more anxious than usual. I am anxious about all V but terrified of SVs.[/QUOTE

I'm sure exposure therapy wouldn't work for me either. I don't like any v*, don't like when I do it and can't handle seeing others do it either. As long as I don't have to see I don't panic unless its something contagious