Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

This story is slightly graphic, though I kept the graphic details to a minimum, just to warn those who might not want to read on...

Help! I went on a bus trip to NYC with my boyfriend and his parents on Saturday and had a HORRIBLE experience. We took a coach bus to the city (about a 2 1/2 hour ride) and went on a guided tour of the CNN building with the same people that were on the coach. Anyway, I was standing next to a girl that looked about my age (mid 20s) during the tour when all of a sudden she v*ed. I mean, she really v*ed. I had no reason to suspect she was sick earlier, or else I would have stood AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE. It was horrible...I mean, it was so close that I had to check my clothes to make sure none of it got on me. Meanwhile, my boyfriend's poor mother (who was standing next to the girl) got some v* on her jacket and pants. I had to hide my fear from my boyfriend's parents because I thought they would think I was insane if I told them how I really felt. I was shaking for about two hours after that, constantly squeezing my boyfriend's hand and giving him my pathetic "Help me!" stare. After the tour, we had to get back on the bus with the girl. As I walked into the bus, the v* girl was returning from the bathroom in the back of the coach, most likely having v*ed again. I avoided the girl for as long as I possibly could. Unfortunately, we had to get on the same bus to go home, with the same girl...and she sat two seats ahead of me!! I could not enjoy myself at all during the trip, and was especially antsy on the ride home. When I got home, I doused myself in Purell and had a stomach ache that entire evening. I couldn't even bring myself to write about it until today because I would make myself feel sick just thinking about it. It has been about 48 hours since the incident, and so far I have not been sick...but I am still VERY scared that I could get sick from her. Help!!!!

How long does it take for sv symptoms to show after exposure???

yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would have freaked and not cared like she could not have moved away from you guys holy crap!! good job not freaking out...you dont know it was an sv it could have been anything else i think you will be just fine

You would have thought she would have excused herself to go to the bathroom at the very least! I think I would die if someone just *v* suddenly like that with no warning. Do you think it was possible she may have been pregnant? Maybe she had motion sickness from the bus ride? Or maybe it was something she ate? How did she act after she *v*? Was she apologetic or acted like she felt really bad? I think if it has been 48 hours, you are most likely out of the woods if it was a sv. It sounds as if you handled it really well!

Jess

Well, you have to look at other possibilities, as well. If she was in her 20's, she could have been pregnant and sometimes the nausea will just come out of nowhere, and I got my 1st car sickness experience with this pregnancy. Or it could have been plain old motion sickness!! It was a long bus trip, after all!!

At any rate, I am so sorry you had to go through that and that your trip was ruined by such a horrible experience!!!! Edited by: donna1216

It could have been motion sickness. My 14 yr old son gets motion sickness. He mainly gets nauseous.

How are you? Good I hope![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Yuck. It could have been anything. Of course, your first
    thought would be a sv. But like the others said. It could
    have been pregnancy, motion sickness, food, etc. the pregnancy
    thing sounds very possible. I never hurled with my pregnancies,
    but I would sooooooooooooo nauseaus. It also came in waves.
    I would be absolutely fine one moment and miserably nauseaus the
    next. Several of my friends v*** at the drop of a hat when
    they were pregnant and in every case it came on suddenly.

Stella

Well, so far so good. I have been a bit nervous about getting sick, but so far I am fine. I am quite amazed at my own ability to not completely freak out when it happened. My heart was pounding for about two hours afterward and my stomach hurt that day (most likely from nerves, though). I'm hoping that I'm out of the woods as far as sv's are concerned, but I'm still a little worried.

Maybe it was pregnancy...it did seem to come on all of a sudden...

Jesskali, in response to your post...they had announced at the beginning of the tour that there were no bathroom breaks...but you'd think they would make an exception for such an extenuating circumstance!

You would think if she felt like she had to barf, she would have said to heck with the rules and headed for a bathroom, or atleast tried to move away from the group. I would have been so upset if this had happened on a trip I was on. Geez, what an awful experience for you. Made me think of something that happened to me in 2nd grade. One of my classmates barfed in class on day, when he was standing right behind me. I remember I was wearing my little girl scout uniform, and he got it on my pants, gross!!!!

I'm sorry this happened to you

There's nothing scarier than being TRAPPED on a bus, plane, train, car

where you can't get away.

I would've freaked out too having to get back on that bus. EWWW

I'm sorry this spoiled your trip, and you had a tummy ache to BOOT.

You made it through it without your boyfriend's parents finding out.

Congrat's

Renee

</font>

Ok, it's been 72 hours and I'm not sick yet...am I out of the woods?

yes sweetie your gonna be ok

Ugh, yuck. She should have grabbed a cab and gone back to her hotel.

I had a similar experience in Washington DC, we were waiting for the subway and a guy ran down the stairs and v'd over the edge down onto the tracks, and we had to ride the subway with him. I was horrified and it was all I could think of the rest of the trip. shudder....
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

personally I would rather not have had any pryor notice that it would happen. The gagging and wreching is just as bad to freak me out, if not worse. I'd rather have no chance to freak til it happened if that makes any sense. if she was standing there gagging and wretching it would have been worse for me.

It's been 96 hours...I'm probably safe, huh?

I think so..... I think the hard part is getting it out of your head and not dwelling on it. That's my problem anyways when I encounter a situation like that.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I think she had probably been drinking. The sudden nature of it seems to suggest that.