Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Sprite and/or Coke for nausea?

What is it about sprite/7up/ginger ale that supposedly helps with nausea? When I am nauseated I'm always scared to eat or drink but I try to sip 7up to supposedly help. I also have heard stories about people that are very very sick and v a lot and nothing helps them but they drink coke and it makes it stop. I've heard multiple things about this so it can't be utter bull haha. What is it about sprite like products and coke?

Default Re: Sprite and/or Coke for nausea?

Coca-Cola is made with coke syrup and coke syrup has been used to help nausea or vomiting. Flat coke is what helps or better to buy coke syrup from a drug store. Sprite is good for dehydration, same with 7up. They are carbonated, but lack caffeine, which can aggravate stomach issues. Ginger Ale that's made with real ginger is good because ginger is known to help and even prevent vomiting.

Not sure why they help, but coke syrup and ginger are long time natural nausea/vomiting remedies.

Here's a chemistry site about it.
    http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/se...ea-syrup.shtml
    Last edited by Dairyfreelife; 07-21-2014 at 10:38 AM. Reason: add source
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Thank you so much dairyfreelife that really helps

exactly what DFL said.

My dad swears by coke for heartburn. He says sometimes hell wake up in the night and take a swig and it goes away.
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

When I was younger and used to go out drinking i always used to get a sprite the following morning to help my hangover! I also found it helped perk me up after bad nights sleep due to being woken by small babies!!
    I heard that black tea helps stop v'ing and my husband swears by giving our kids warm blackcurrant squash when they have sv.

My mom used to always give me and my brother 7-Up or Sprite after we'd been sick when were kids. It was the only time we were allowed to have soda because my mom was a bit of health nut, and I don't know if it was the placebo affect or what but it did seem to calm our stomachs. I still keep that in mind when I feel nauseous now, I'll take a few sips of coke and sometimes it really does help.

When my son was in hospital a little boy in the room next door was in isolation with ecoli, he was given full sugar flat coke, he couldn't keep water down but was keeping sips of coke down. Also you can make ice cubes with flat coke for little ones to suck when they have been sick.

Quote Originally Posted by anna81 View Post
    When I was younger and used to go out drinking i always used to get a sprite the following morning to help my hangover! I also found it helped perk me up after bad nights sleep due to being woken by small babies!!
    I heard that black tea helps stop v'ing and my husband swears by giving our kids warm blackcurrant squash when they have sv.
    Ahh Anna, I avoid blackcurrant squash like the plague after a rather nasty vomiting incident with my daughter and a whole bottle of ribena when she was a toddler, it was like a remake of the exorcist!