Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Norovirus immunity?

On December 25, 2010, I came down with a stomach virus. I'm pretty sure it was the norovirus, based upon the incubation period and symptoms. Today it's March 9th, 2011, so i became ill about 2.5 months ago. Now 2 days ago, a girl came into work sick with a SV. I'm afraid that i may somehow have come in contact with or carried her germs into my apartment. What are my chances of falling ill with this dreadful virus again? I know i probably sound paranoid, and that's because i am. But i try to be "safe".

I just want to know what any of you think, or if any of you know anything about immunity to norovirus.

I've done a fair share of internet searching norovirus immunity. It says that immunity is short-lived (lasting on a few months), and that it's strain specific. Am i still immune since it's been 2.5 months? There's no way of me knowing if her SV is the same strain I had, but i really really really hope it's not a different strain.

Any input would be appreciated!

Default Re: Norovirus immunity?

Well if it's the same strain, you're almost definitely still protected (immunity usually ranges from 4-8 months). It's likely to be the same strain. Usually colds have many strains circulating around, but influenza and norovirus tend to only have one or two going around. I'd guess you're safe, but there's no way of knowing for sure.

Just wash your hands and you'll be fine.

That was very reassuring. Thanks a lot!

Im sorry but its a known fact (I have researched it) that you can NOT build an immunity to noro. there are tomany strains when u have had it yes u are immuned for only two months but can get it again after that.this is why they are haveing aa hard time makeing a vac for noro it mutates to much.my advice wash ur hands all the time its the best defence

mary, I understand what you're trying to say but I'm not sure you're expressing it correctly. According to the microbiologist who writes for me (info on my site and on this site) once you get a norovirus you are definitely immune to getting it again. However, every "season" (normally every few months) the virus mutates and then you are no longer immune. So there's no guarantee. But generally speaking, if you get norovirus one winter you're probably immune to whatever is going around that same winter in your area.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"But generally speaking, if you get norovirus one winter you're probably immune to whatever is going around that same winter in your area."

That was very comforting. Thank you for posting that, Sage!
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog:

Yes, what Sage said. The virus doesn't really mutate any more than influenza. There are usually only one or two strains going around at any one time, just like with regular flu. They aren't having any trouble coming up with a vaccination (though maybe they did since none have existed for gastroenteritis), there is a vaccination that seems to work in trials. It's in phase I/II clinical trials right now and is showing a lot of promise. If it's safe, it will probably be on the market within 5 or so years. I know the military in the US is pushing for its release and pumping money in since there are outbreaks on battleships.

I'm very excited about this promising new vaccine! This is great news. Hopefully the military can push for its release sooner than its expected 5 yrs
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog:

Quote Originally Posted by aurora0917 View Post
    I'm very excited about this promising new vaccine! This is great news. Hopefully the military can push for its release sooner than its expected 5 yrs
    Never underestimate the power of an unlimited budget! The company is Ligocyte, based in Bozeman Montana. I've been trying to figure out the best way to email them for info, but I realized I have no specific question beyond "I want a norovirus vaccine NOW, finish it please!" Right now they're in the phase of trials to check for safety rather than efficacy.

Omgosh! I am going to have to look them up! I live in bozeman. . Maybe I can go there and get an info packet or brochure!