Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Is it normal to not want to eat because of anxiety?...

I posted a thread yesterday about me freaking out because I couldn't eat. Though this problem didn't just start yesterday, but rather it slowly started about 4-5 days ago.

It's so weird because for these past days I just don't want to eat. I'm not really hungry and nothing sounds good. And when I do put food in front of me I get anxious and I have to force myself to finish it.

Of course I googled this and one person said that they didn't feel like eating for a few days and then threw up It's really freaking me out now. However, I don't really feel sick or n* or anything at all. It's just hard to swallow and want food, I guess.

Anyways, my question is do other people on here experience this? Or could this be a sign of something worse?

Default Re: Is it normal to not want to eat because of anxiety?...

I've definitely felt that way in the past. For me it comes and goes. Right now I'm out of town for work and am very nervous about eating anything.

Yeah, but the weirdest thing is that it's not like I'm anxious to eat because I'll get sick... I just don't feel like it simply because of anxiety. And then that ramps up my anxiety. Though when I'm able to take a deep breath and calm down I can eat like normal.

A few years ago I had that feeling for a few days..I simply couldn't eat, bur wasn't n*. And nothing happend, the feeling just dissapeared after a few days. Well now these months my phobia got worse and today is one of those days. I had lunch and ate just a little, even felt n.. now I'm still feeling weird, but I don't think it's an sv, it's probably all in my head.
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

Yeah, that was exactly my predicament! Well, luckily today I was really hungry and I also feel less anxious so I think it might be the end of the phase! Thank you for your input! It's really comforting to know that someone else has experienced the same things I have.

Don’t worry, whenever my anxiety is bad I can’t eat. I try because I need to but i feel like my throat is closed. Just try to eat as much as you canJ this has lasted for over a week before :/

Happens to me all the time! Just happened to me today! Our phobia is such a catch 22 because we get anxious with normal digestive oddness that most people just ignore and then that causes more anxiety which causes more n*. We can't win, all we can do I rethink and talk ourselves down!

Anxiety can definitely cause loss of appetite. And it snowballs. You worry about no appetite..anxiety..you worry about anxiety..more anxiety..more not wanting to eat..more anxiety..hear abiut someone not having appetite and then being sick..more anxiety. See what I mean?
    Right now since a little more than two days ago I haven't been able to eat. I have too much fear in me because my 3.5 year old daughter was sick. I notice all sorts of odd yucky feelings since I haven't been and those put anxiety in me. It's a big snowball.