Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Aaargh! Panic!

Hey everyone,

I am in a bit of a panic at the moment and I am just looking for a bit of support really I guess......

My boyfriends brother was sick at the start of last week with vomiting and really bad headaches, then my boyfriend phoned this morning to say that he has woken up with what we think is the same thing! I know that if I am going to get it then there is nothing I can do but I am still in a bit of a state! Also, I want to go and see him tonight as I don't want him to have to be alone when he is feeling so bad but I just don't know if I can do it.

HELP!!

Hope everyone is well!

x

I say if you are really that afraid, then dont be stupid and go see
    him, youll just hurt yourself. I am still angry that my roommate went
    to visit her boyfriend when he was sick, well knowing that I am afraid
    of it. She came back and had caught the bug two days later and
    subsequently I had to leave the apartment for a week until she left
    temporarily and I was convinced that it was clean and bug free, and
    even then I was so poor off I nearly had a nervous breakdown. In other
    words, you WILL CATCH IT if you go hang around someone who has a V*
    bug, so its really not wise to go if you are concerned about it. You
    can offer support over the phone without being exposed. If someone
    loves you theyd understand.

Since it just started for your boyfriend this morning, chances are that you have not yet been exposed since people are not usually contagious until after the v* starts. If you don't see him for a few days, you can probably excape it.

On the other hand, I understand you wanting to be there for him. THere is a chnace you will not get it if you go over there and take care of him, but you would have to be very careful not to touch your face, mouth, nose, eyes without washing your hands, I would not eat or drink anything over there, and of course make sure you don't kiss him!!

It's up to you whether or not you want to go over. If you think you can handle it if you do get it, and you really want to help him, I would go and just be really careful of the hand washing and stuff. You may get lucky and not get it, but he will know how much you care. Have you told him about your emet? Would he understand if you didn't go over?