Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Lightbulb Support Pen Pal?

I was just wondering if anyone had tried it or would be willing to try being support pen pals.

I find that his forum can sometimes be more triggering that helpful when i'm already anxious as other peoples worries rub off on me. I thought the idea of a support pen pal would be good. Someone to talk to but who can't instantly reply. Someone i'm not likely to seek instant reassurance from but that i can discuss my general worries with. For example, if i'm worrying and feel unwell i cant ask them for reassurance as they can't instantly reply, but i can discuss my week/previous few days with and the things that have been on my mind in a more relaxed manner. I thought this might be better for getting off my chest my overall worries as well as give me someone to share my good days with too. Someone to tell when i've been brave or worked through someone i didn't think i could. Someone to share success stories with.

I'd love to hear back from anyone who'd like to try this with me or has any previous experience with this type of thing. xx

Default Re: Support Pen Pal?

That sounds like a wonderful idea and would be something I would be interested in pursuing. I sometimes find that this forum is far too focussed on in the moment panic, and it would be nice to have someone to talk to that could support recovery, and discuss ongoing issues without it being a one off panic thread.

What country do you live in? PM if you wish to speak about this further.

I really really like your idea but we need to brainstorm on how to get this idea out to the rest of the people. The problem is... what if two people pair up and they are both terrible panickers? We need mentors that are farther along yet not perfect and then people that are really just not doing well but on their way to get better. Can we repost this somewhere else or ask a moderator?

That sounds like a great idea. Im interested!

I'm interested but agree with dmarin7. How could we tell? Don't think we could go by how long they have been on here. I have since 2005 and I'm a panicker

Im a panicker also.. try not to be but its hard.

I don't know that I would call them penpals exactly, but I've made what I would consider good friends here, and know others have as well. My sense is that just like in real life you tend to either get along well with a certain person or not. My point is that you shouldn't worry about where someone is in their recovery, as I've never found chatting with other emets to make me worse. In some cases, trying to help someone else has helped me to get unfocused from myself and how I'm feeling which helps, and if I help someone else feel better that makes me feel good, even if I can't do much, just be that person that understands. This has seemed to hold true for people that are recovering or recovered and people who are suffering as badly or worse than me. My advice is that you get the best support if you do find a few people that you trust and you support each other. You won't get much help from the mods on this one. You'll have to figure out if you get along with someone yourself, and I think the chat function here (although it leaves something to be desired) is probably a good way to do that. Just do your due diligence to make sure you know who you're dealing with before you give out any personally identifying information. Most people in online communities I frequent, I trust them, but only so far, and that's the case at IES too with a few exceptions who I know and trust a lot. These folks know who they are

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. I've had some stressful days recently and been consentrating on feeling myself.

I'm unable to send PM (under the minimum posts requirement). But i'd love to hear back if you're still interested. I can give you my email if you want to privately message