Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Help needed

Default Help needed

Hope someone can help me, my daughter is nearly 8 yrs old and she has developed a phobia of being sick and feeling sick, we have moved her into a new school starting jan as she associates the school she was at with sickness, she saw too many of her friends actually vomit, have been to gp who has refered her to Tahms, and the new school she will attend how agreed to support us all, with the help
    From social services too, it's really getting me down, and my depression and anxiety has got worse I can't stop worrying about her is this normal for a girl of that age to develop this awful phobia hope someone can help me thanks

Default Re: Help needed

Emet can develop at any age. It is completely normal. I developed emet when I was 5 :/
    Emetophobia.org's resident wrestling fan (and recovering emet) Feel free to message me if you need somebody to talk too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Help needed

So sorry your little one is struggling with this. I've been emet since about 4 or 5 and it's terrifying to be afraid of your own body. Unfortunately it wasn't until I was in my 30s that I realized there were others like me and that it had a name. Up until that point I thought I was some kind of freak with a shameful secret. It was a huge relief for me to know I wasn't the only one.
    Encourage your daughter to be open and honest about her fears, listen to her and do not trivialize her fears by saying "no one likes to be sick" or similar things. There are some very insightful Q and A's on this site that helps explain the depth of the fears to non-emets so you may want to read those to get an idea of how your little girl is processing her fears. You may even want to look around for a psychiatrist who specializes in juvenile phobias and anxiety.
    Best of luck to both of you
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost