Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cure your emetophobia and thrive

Lets try and get this board a bit more active! :-)

Just wondering who else is working through Cure your Emetophobia and Thrive? I think I am in love with Rob Kelly! lol! It's like he knows me more than I know myself!
    I have conquered this mountain before and I can do it again now! I will stay strong! I will THRIVE!

Read my blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Cure your emetophobia and thrive

Hi! What kind of support isbest when dealing with ongoing anxiety? I have some ideas but would love to hear what helps everone deal w/their anxiety.
    Last edited by Danwella; 02-01-2015 at 01:16 PM.

Yes of course I can talk to you. What what you like to know?
    I have conquered this mountain before and I can do it again now! I will stay strong! I will THRIVE!

Read my blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ive gotten pretty much almost through with it. It was very beneficial and for some reason I stopped. My thinking though is completely different and it did put a lot of things in perspective for me! I hope you enjoy it too!
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

Default Re: how to effectively help and support someone

Quote Originally Posted by jennielouises View Post
    Yes of course I can talk to you. What what you like to know?
    Thank you. I guess to start I would like to know what is the best way to support and help someone who is experiencing E? I am having trouble typing, is this a common problem in this forum? I want to help facilitate my friend's healing. What is working for you? I have techniques in mind and ideas from my experience w/similar core issues (not E) as well as researching but would like to hear from someone who is successfully recovering. Thanks!

Hi Danwella

What sort of techniques did you have in mind? The most important thing is that you don't collude with the fear (as they say in Thrive). So my dh used to say to me 'you won't be sick'. That doesn't help really. It is nice in the moment as it reassures me but doesn't help in the long run. What I have done now is given him a list of questions to ask me if I ask him if I am going to be sick. SO he will say 'what evidence have you got that you are going to be sick' (thanks to MrsFox on here for that idea :-) ). I think giving some rationality to the fears is good as your friend my struggle to put perspective on things. When they feel sick they will panic and won't be able to see straight. Thrive suggests we have a stressometer that goes from 1 (completely stress free) to 10 (major stress). When someone's stressometer is at 8,9 or 10 they won't be able to think straight. Having someone to help them get back on track and see through the fog would really help.

I'm still in the early stages of my recovery and am struggling a bit today as I am so tired. I have IBS and acid reflux to contend with as well (as do a lot of people with emet) so it makes it harder I believe. But Thrive is what is getting me through this. Two weeks ago I was a crying mess who wouldn't go to work and just wanted to spend the whole day in bed. Today I have managed to spend a whole week at work, managed to cope when I have felt sick and have been successfully managing my thinking with Thrive (though that has been very challenging).

Also with regarding to typing on here, are you on your phone? I find it hard to type on here when using the mobile site

Read my blog

Jennielouises

I have been investigating Thrive in quite some detail and I am only here because I don't wish you to get your hopes up because I don't believe Thrive does work. It is all about overcoming your fear of vomiting through thinking and it does take more than that. Don't get me wrong, I believe that thinking and altering catastrophic thoughts is a the way forward to eliminate anxiety from your life but not a phobia...there has to be some exposure. That is why emetophobia is so hard to cure. But Rob Kelly believes he owns the only cure ever! He is a hypnotherapist, he charges a fortune to see him and I believe he is in it for the money I am afraid. The Amazon reviews I don't believe are credible. He provides not evidence as to how he has measured the cure of these 64 emetophobes he believes he has cured. I know of at least one person who trained under him and all she did was some online quizzes to become a thrive consultant! Please be a bit wary and keep all your options open.

Quote Originally Posted by purpleshine View Post
    Jennielouises

I have been investigating Thrive in quite some detail and I am only here because I don't wish you to get your hopes up because I don't believe Thrive does work. It is all about overcoming your fear of vomiting through thinking and it does take more than that. Don't get me wrong, I believe that thinking and altering catastrophic thoughts is a the way forward to eliminate anxiety from your life but not a phobia...there has to be some exposure. That is why emetophobia is so hard to cure. But Rob Kelly believes he owns the only cure ever! He is a hypnotherapist, he charges a fortune to see him and I believe he is in it for the money I am afraid. The Amazon reviews I don't believe are credible. He provides not evidence as to how he has measured the cure of these 64 emetophobes he believes he has cured. I know of at least one person who trained under him and all she did was some online quizzes to become a thrive consultant! Please be a bit wary and keep all your options open.
    Very valid point but Thrive is basically just CBT at the heart of it. There are quite a few people on here who have got a lot better from doing Thive. Ok they might not be cured but they are able to live a better live than I was before. I am also on the waiting list for CBT with the NHS. Thrive does teach you to do exposure. You have to expose yourself to the things you avoid and stop your safety behaviours as part of challenging your thinking. I have had to expose myself to going to work when I was afraid I would be sick there and after a week I can feel my anxiety going down. I have done this using the techniques from Thrive.

I have had CBT in the past for OCD and it is basically the same thing. People have been cured by CBT and didn't have exposure. There is one member on here (I can't remember her name right now) who used to be on here in 2012. She was cured using another programme that made you challenge your thinking about being sick and reprocess your memories on it. She didn't have any exposure so I am sorry but I believe you are wrong. There doesn't have to be any exposure at all.

Also, what is a phobia if it isn't anxiety???

Sorry but you have annoyed me a bit. I have faith in this programme and that is what is getting my through. Now I am fighting to keep that faith. Thanks very much. You haven't even tried it so how do you know if it works?
    Last edited by jennielouises; 01-23-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Read my blog

I have too much info and too many questions. Can we talk over the phone or are you in another country? I am in the US. Arizona. )
    Hi Danwella

What sort of techniques did you have in mind? The most important thing is that you don't collude with the fear (as they say in Thrive). So my dh used to say to me 'you won't be sick'. That doesn't help really. It is nice in the moment as it reassures me but doesn't help in the long run. What I have done now is given him a list of questions to ask me if I ask him if I am going to be sick. SO he will say 'what evidence have you got that you are going to be sick' (thanks to MrsFox on here for that idea :-) ). I think giving some rationality to the fears is good as your friend my struggle to put perspective on things. When they feel sick they will panic and won't be able to see straight. Thrive suggests we have a stressometer that goes from 1 (completely stress free) to 10 (major stress). When someone's stressometer is at 8,9 or 10 they won't be able to think straight. Having someone to help them get back on track and see through the fog would really help.

I'm still in the early stages of my recovery and am struggling a bit today as I am so tired. I have IBS and acid reflux to contend with as well (as do a lot of people with emet) so it makes it harder I believe. But Thrive is what is getting me through this. Two weeks ago I was a crying mess who wouldn't go to work and just wanted to spend the whole day in bed. Today I have managed to spend a whole week at work, managed to cope when I have felt sick and have been successfully managing my thinking with Thrive (though that has been very challenging).

Also with regarding to typing on here, are you on your phone? I find it hard to type on here when using the mobile site
    Last edited by Danwella; 01-28-2015 at 06:27 PM.

Different therapies work for different people. Stay on track with what is working for you, Amen! Is there anyway I can chat with you and Jennie and whoever else, like a group chat? I need input from those who are experiencing E. I am supporting a friend with E and feel I've hit some resistance and denial. Too much to write...any ideas how i can talk to a few of you? Thank you! D

I'm in the UK sorry

Default the thrive programme

Just a quick question I'm working through the thrive programme by Rob kelly at the minute and it did seem to be working until I went to work and started having panic attacks and i couldn't control myself, I'm upto chapter 8 so i have about 3/4 chapters left so I'm just wondering if it's working for you?

Default Re: the thrive programme

no one really cares

Well don't read it then simple

leahringwood-Syrup is a troll here. I think it's great and I wish you the best of luck

Oh i thought as much, oh that's great i hope it works for me, thank you so much xx

I am a very skeptical and cynical person and don't know if it's just a scam.. I was reading the reviews on Amazon a few minutes ago and most are very similar, so I'm a bit suspicious about it. I want to be cured of this horrid phobia badly, too, but I don't know if I can trust this. :/ I'm not saying you shouldn't get it or anything.. It's just my personal opinion.
    Last edited by Rls1994; 01-28-2015 at 04:46 PM.
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

I have the book already I've read Half of it and it's changed the way i think and for a while I didn't think of it but recently when I need to go to work i panic, i suppose working in a pub isn't very helpful with the thought in the back of my head incase someone v* doesn't help, I'm thinking about re reading it see if it works again if it does ill let you know i know this phobia is horrible and im willing to try anything to over come it x

I'm half way through reading the thrive programme do you believe it's working for you? Have you got any tips bevaude i feel like I'm reading the exercises and going through them and im not taking it in no matter how much i try x

Hi thanks for the tips

Hi Danwella

Last edited by Danwella; 01-28-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danwella View Post
    Hi Jennie, would you be able to email me?
    Danwella, you have asked me and several others for email, phone numbers, and personal information. You can always PM anyone if you need advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Danwella View Post
    Hi Jennie, would you be able to email me?
    Danwella, given that you don't know anyone age on here and beyond that don't know anyone's true identity (nor do they know yours),as I've told you before, it's not ok to ask for it. Feel free to write on the board but please stop asking for people's person information here, in the chatroom or in a private message. It's completely inappropriate.

For everyone else, please, if she asks, don't give it and if she ignores this warning, ignore her.

Had no idea not to ask,my apologies. This isnot the appropriate site for me. No one said its not ok, or I missed that msg. So sorry,didn't mean to offend. ( Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
    Danwella, given that you don't know anyone age on here and beyond that don't know anyone's true identity (nor do they know yours),as I've told you before, it's not ok to ask for it. Feel free to write on the board but please stop asking for people's person information here, in the chatroom or in a private message. It's completely inappropriate.

For everyone else, please, if she asks, don't give it and if she ignores this warning, ignore her.

wishing everyone well on their journey. I will be seeking other resources/professionals. Thank you and God bless...

Good for you! Good luck and much healing is wished you on your journey!

Danwella!! You don't have to leave the group! You are most welcome here) Just asking for personal information is not the right way to go.

Thank you, Kelly. The very last thing I want to do is upset anyone or do anything inappropriate. I am a supporter and a helper! Trying to gain as much insight as possible. I do have questions but not sure what the best way to go about asking questions is in this forum? Any suggestions? Like is there a place on here or somewhere else where I would be able to talk to people who are on this journey?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly44 View Post
    Danwella!! You don't have to leave the group! You are most welcome here) Just asking for personal information is not the right way to go.
    Last edited by Danwella; 01-29-2015 at 02:02 PM.

I"m not sure. But if you PM someone maybe they can talk to you thru the messaging? That's what I would do.

still learning the system.

Good luck Danwella!