Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Cure your emetophobia and thrive

I just recently got this book, have only read a few pages of it so far though.
    Has anyone else read it? Any success stories from people on here relating to it?

I was talking to a Thrive member yesterday on Facebook and they got all defensive, sarcastic and quite bitter that I asked if their book is legitimate and works. :/ It gives me more reasons not to buy it. I'm a very cynical person and believe most people just want something out of you. I.e money... I'm NOT saying any of you shouldn't buy it. It's just my PERSONAL opinion.
    Last edited by Rls1994; 01-31-2015 at 11:43 AM.
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

Personally, I love the book. Honestly, though, no one thing is going to 'cure' you. No therapist, no book, it's about YOU deciding that you want to see a change and doing the hard, uncomfortable work to see results. If it was as easy as sending money and getting an anxiety free life sent in a box I'm certain none of us would be here.

I just got the book yesterday and I can't quit reading, about 1/2 through it. Very interesting, so glad to have some insight, as I haven't found much on this phobia elsewhere. My therapist has no idea.

Hi Michelle,
    Woud you share some tools you have learned to help you overcome this vicious cycle of E? You said your thinking is completely different. Could you take me through the steps? It's replacing irrational beliefs I understand this but would love to hear from you who is living this....thank you so much!! Appreciate your willingness to share. )

Hi, would love to hear from you as well what you are learning, if you would share a good technique, thank you!!!

I read this book through, and wrote a review of it here: http://www.emetophobiahelp.org/reviews.html (scroll to the bottom of the page)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: EMDR therapy? Does it work?

Hi I am not sure where to post questions...does EMDR therapy help with E? Does anyone know? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jennielouises View Post
    Lets try and get this board a bit more active! :-)

Just wondering who else is working through Cure your Emetophobia and Thrive? I think I am in love with Rob Kelly! lol! It's like he knows me more than I know myself!

Just wanted to give you an update on my Thrive journey. I am now back at work and managing my thinking as best I can. I still have IBS issues which means I feel sick a lot and have also recently been diagnosed with ME but I am able to get back to work by telling myself it is just that and I am not sick. Thrive has really helped me. I am not sure if I truly believe it will cure me but I do believe it can help me to live a normal life and control the thoughts as much as I can.

Leahringwood – are you using the DREAM technique for your panic attacks? That is the technique that I used to stop mine. I haven’t had one in nearly a month now due to Thrive.

I am currently reading the book for the second time as I didn’t do all of the exercises before. I truly believe it can help me live a normal life even if it doesn’t cure me of the phobia
    I have conquered this mountain before and I can do it again now! I will stay strong! I will THRIVE!

Read my blog

Hello, I havent posted on here in the years, but wanted to say I bought the Thrive book almost two years ago. What prompted this was it was late summer, winter was coming, and I felt with complete certainity that I could not endure another winter with E. (My particular problem is noro. I hate any other v situation but noro just shuts me down.) I felt that way so strongly it was frightening. I didnt have the insurance or money for any other therapy, and had heard some good and some negative things bout Thrive. So I bought it and kinda attacked it. Lol. It was, ok I want OUT of this insanity, what do I do? I did every exercise, even if I thought it kinda goofy or didnt really apply. But within a week or two, it made a huge difference. At least I understood why and how this was happening. Was I instantly cured? No. But I was at least 75% better, and had the most peaceful winter in 20 years. I felt so good I quit doing the exercises. Now, this winter has been rocky, so I have gotten the book out again. I think the important thing is, do what works for you. And whatever that is, do it 110%. But do something. Take control. Fight back. Get a little pissed off. Fed up. Maybe we wont ever be totally cured. BUT, it can be much, much better. Thats huge Cheering everybody on! Kick butt!)

I think that it's a good book but I can't say it really helped me in the way I thought it would. I like the principles and some of the ideas it says but ya it didn't really cure me though. Still, I think it's worth it to read it and I know I have heard it works for others and the least it can do is at least give you some more ideas or ways to try to overcome this fear. It would also be nice if you could talk with the therapists they suggest or even attend some of the in person sessions but that might not be something you can do if you don't live in that area. I do think it's one of the better books that actually tries to deal with emetophobia itself and not just be a general guide to helping someone with anxiety or other fears. It's been a while since I read the book as well so sorry I can't tell you more but if you have some others questions I can try to answer them as I can. Good luck and hope it helps you out! See you.