Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Question about germs?

So my friend is having a party this Saturday and I would love to come but she mentioned her brother was sick with the sv this past Tuesday. I was wondering if it would be safe for me to go over there? Or should I just not go? I don't know if they've disinfected the house at all so I would be super nervous to go.
    Do not fear: I am with you; do not be anxious: I am your God.
    I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.

-Isaiah 41:10

Default Re: Question about germs?

Hey Kitty! That's an awful situation to be in. Personally, if I felt that I would spend the whole time at the party feeling anxious and then continue to worry for the next few days that I might have caught something then I wouldn't go. If you don't think you would be able to enjoy yourself is it worth going? I'm not entirely sure how long germs can live on surfaces for, although I'm sure they would have cleaned any infected areas...but then again Tuesday wasn't that long ago :S sorry if I'm not being helpful, I'm just saying what I'd be thinking if it was me

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyface View Post
    Hey Kitty! That's an awful situation to be in. Personally, if I felt that I would spend the whole time at the party feeling anxious and then continue to worry for the next few days that I might have caught something then I wouldn't go. If you don't think you would be able to enjoy yourself is it worth going? I'm not entirely sure how long germs can live on surfaces for, although I'm sure they would have cleaned any infected areas...but then again Tuesday wasn't that long ago :S sorry if I'm not being helpful, I'm just saying what I'd be thinking if it was me

I agree. I just don't think it's worth going if I can't even enjoy myself. Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it!
    Do not fear: I am with you; do not be anxious: I am your God.
    I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.

-Isaiah 41:10

I disagree, I think that you should go! If nobody else in the household has come down with it, then you know that it's been properly cleaned and all is well. Depending on the age of the child, it may not have even been anything contagious. 4 days later is plenty of time to know that the house has been cleaned up properly (and really, who doesn't clean before a party anyway?) and plenty of time for anyone else to have fallen ill if there was anything to catch.

Go! Have a good time!

I think you should go as well! Just keep your hands clean and away from your face. I babysit a 1 year old who has 4 and 6 year old brothers that have brought sv* into the house 3x this winter. I can't not work, so I just take extra caution when I am there. I have never caught anything. If it makes you feel safer, don't eat anything with your hands at all. Use silverware! That way you know there is no possible way sv* particles could get into your body. Have fun.