Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Extremely bad dry heaves

Hey everybody. I haven't been on this site in forever! I pretty much forgot about it because my anxiety was so low and I was doing so well. Weeeell, that changed recently.
    A few years ago, I started to dry heave badly because of anxiety for a year. It got so bad that my doctor honestly thought I had ulcer in my stomach. But, I was put on new medication the summer after it started and it stopped. Since then I only dry heaved every now and then, and it was never really bad, not nearly enough to give me a panic attack or anything. Until a few weeks ago.
    I went to Walmart with my Mom, and felt gaggy. I coughed a little, but then felt fine. Some time later we were going to go up again, but on the walk up there my throat got really bad and I had to go home. Then about a week ago I went to the doctor and had the worst panic attack I've had in years because of the dry heave. And finally, today I was planning on going to this daycamp for mentally ill people for the first time and got so nervous that I dry heaved (tmi) extremely violently. Not enough to get sick, but enough to freak me out so badly I ran upstairs and holed myself in my room.

I'm trying to hard to fight again it, as I was doing so, soooo well and that year where I dry heaved everyday was the worst year of my life. I don't want to get into the pattern again. I could be having just a bad little relapse, like everyone with anxiety goes through, but I don't want it to last long.
    So, does anyone have any tips for calming your throat? I tried breathing through your stomach, but that didn't really help, even though I focused on it for a while.

Weirdly enough, I'm fine when I go for my walk, or go up to the mall to browse at the books, or get myself a giftcard. But it seems when I have a big plan to go somewhere, like grocery shopping or the doctor, my throat flips out and I start coughing.

Default Re: Extremely bad dry heaves

I have similar nervous fits and it is definitely scary!!!8 I get them in the same places too - mall, stores and even at my sons sporting events. I get dizzy after but can't leave and that makes it worse. honestly, I try to focus on my breathing, I tilt my head back to get air in my throat and open it up and sometimes I unhook my bra to loosen by ribs. not always possible but it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by mdgirl1977 View Post
    I have similar nervous fits and it is definitely scary!!!8 I get them in the same places too - mall, stores and even at my sons sporting events. I get dizzy after but can't leave and that makes it worse. honestly, I try to focus on my breathing, I tilt my head back to get air in my throat and open it up and sometimes I unhook my bra to loosen by ribs. not always possible but it works well.
    I'll try that! I've seen some suggestions of sucking on something or chewing gum, but honestly I'd be too afraid to try to put anything in my mouth, haha.

yeah I don't know about encouraging flexing the throat muscles. I prefer relaxation. I also sometimes take small sips of water...that does help me often. Bra undone, head back, deep breaths, water. Again, I don't suggest the bra thing if you are wearing something sheer or will call more attention but it does work for me.

Thanks for the tip!
    I'm going to try one thing for the nausea and dry heaves; one of those acupressure bands. I saw one thread on here while searching with a bunch of people saying it's a miracle worker. And I saw someone said it's also supposed to help with the gag reflex, which I can really need for the dry heaves. Not sure if it'll work for me, but I'm definitely willing to try it!

sea bands are awesome for n. I wear them all the time!!!

So, I tried the sea band-like product. My stomach was doing well, but it didn't do much for my throat. I went for a walk today, and when I talked to a lady at the pet store my throat started acting up nastily and had to fight hard not to dry heave, though I did feel better upon leaving the store. So it was a mild success! Stomach nausea out, but throat nausea stayed. Now I'm thinking of just asking my psychiatrist if there's anything I can try out for the dry heaves. I searched it up and some people said upping dosages somewhat or new particular pills helped greatly.

This may be a crazy suggestion, but maybe some meditation would help you. I do yoga on occasion, and I find when you close your eyes and take deep breaths (making sure to fill up your lungs and stomach) and then breathing out slowly imagining you're blowing your stress away... it really works. You just breathe out all the negative thoughts. It sounds like your issue is anxiety more than anything, so I really believe this could help.

Meditation and yoga have both helped tremendously. I stopped for a few weeks as I wasn't attending school much, but did a class last week. Funnily enough my anxiety has been really good, at least over the weekend and up to now it has been. When I start getting that throat nausea, big, deep breaths are what make me feel better. That kind of nausea is typically induced by stress, anxiety, or sometimes reflux - the kind of "gagging" sensation. I've dry heaved with bad panic attacks too, it's no fun and I'm so sorry you're going through it too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Fay, kaiilyn, I was always uncertain about mediation as I wasn't sure if it would work for me, even though my Mom and brother continually told me to try it. But my anxiety got gotten to such a high, I'd be willing to try anything. I took a panic attack today just taking my walk, which NEVER happens, and felt so sick and gaggy for hours after getting home. I found guided meditation videos on youtube, and am going to give them a try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The knowledge that you one day will conquer this fear, it fills you with determination.

I too get the choking/gagging feeling in my throat when I get really anxious. It is very uncomfortable and often causes more anxiety for me. I usually just try to wait it out by taking small sips of water. If that does not work I take a xanax. Xanax works every time. I just don't like to take it too much as it can become habit forming and I don't need another issue on top of my emet.